Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prospects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Prospects Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about my next career move and have a few questions about Taiwan and what opportunities there may be for me.

I'm currently a student on an MA Applied Linguistics course in the U.K (finishes late summer 2014), I have 2 years' experience teaching at a university in China, I've taught on university pre-sessional courses and am working part-time at a U.K. university teaching English. I've also got a CELTA. Native speaker, UK citizen.

Job questions
1) I really like university level education - are there many university positions going?
2) What sort of salary should I be aiming for?
3) Is housing generally included? Holidays paid? Airfare?

Taiwan questions
As much as I liked my time in China, I can't see myself there for a long period (mainly due to the environment). For those that have been to both countries - how is the environment in Taiwan compared to mainland?

Thank you for your time.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: re: no worries Reply with quote

You are more than qualified, MA and celta puts you well above those with a degree, your uk teaching experience and china experience will also help. I reckon you could write your own salary. Problem is getting the work is not easy, it is getting harder in taiwan, not easier.

I'd get something in writing before you come out. Good luck.
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: re: no worries Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
You are more than qualified, MA and celta puts you well above those with a degree, your uk teaching experience and china experience will also help. I reckon you could write your own salary. Problem is getting the work is not easy, it is getting harder in taiwan, not easier.

I'd get something in writing before you come out. Good luck.

Thank you. I was looking around this board for a few days and got a little worried about how positions seem to be increasingly part-time.

EDIT: Am I right in thinking the Taiwan academic calendar starts in August? As such the best time for looking for jobs would be April-ish?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: taiwan Reply with quote

To be brutally honest, I feel you would be better off staying in the UK.

China and Taiwan see foreigners as expendable, but if it is your last option then yes.

As for taiwan, hunstman spiders can be found inside apartments. The locals can also be as herd minded and insular as mainland chinese, noone will stop to help others as they think they might be arrested. DUMB!!!

I'd only consider it if your last option....good luck.
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: taiwan Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

China and Taiwan see foreigners as expendable, but if it is your last option then yes.

As for taiwan, hunstman spiders can be found inside apartments. The locals can also be as herd minded and insular as mainland chinese, noone will stop to help others as they think they might be arrested. DUMB!!!

I'd only consider it if your last option....good luck.

I've thought about it... but I'm still young and the travel bug has bitten me. I plan on returning to the UK to work in pre-sessional university courses in the summer. I could work here, but it's not what I want at the moment. I daresay there may come a time when I want to settle down, but I can't see that for a good while yet.

I've worked in China before, I know what locals can be like, and how they can view us (not everyone mind - I've met some great, great people). If anything, I've read Taiwanese people can be quite, 'insular', it's harder to make friends than on the mainland. I'm not sure how true this is - has this been your experience?
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Prospects Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about my next career move and have a few questions about Taiwan and what opportunities there may be for me.

I'm currently a student on an MA Applied Linguistics course in the U.K (finishes late summer 2014), I have 2 years' experience teaching at a university in China, I've taught on university pre-sessional courses and am working part-time at a U.K. university teaching English. I've also got a CELTA. Native speaker, UK citizen.

Job questions
1) I really like university level education - are there many university positions going?
2) What sort of salary should I be aiming for?
3) Is housing generally included? Holidays paid? Airfare?

Taiwan questions
As much as I liked my time in China, I can't see myself there for a long period (mainly due to the environment). For those that have been to both countries - how is the environment in Taiwan compared to mainland?

Thank you for your time.

Damn! An M.A. and a CELTA?

A rare combination, but should be required for career EFL teachers.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: re: well qualified Reply with quote

You are very well qualified, so if your heart is set on it, the good jobs will come to you. I just think you are at an age where you should build a base first. I am now 37 and homeless in the UK, I have never been to Taiwan, but my experiences based on those met in China, is that they can be gruff and haughty at first meeting, and prefer to make friends over time. Different from mainland chinese where they will be friendly and smiley on first meeting, then quickly forget about you.

Quote:
f anything, I've read Taiwanese people can be quite, 'insular', it's harder to make friends than on the mainland. I'm not sure how true this is - has this been your experience?

As an island, much like the UK, japan, or any other island nation, yes they can be quite insular. There has also been a spate of foreign men having sex with local women, which sets the taiwanese men against foreigners. Something to be wary of.

If you can also cope with the bugs issue, huge spiders in your apartment, although some say if you keep cockroaches out you won't get them, but I don't believe that, they can squeeze through gaps and will come in to get out of the rain...I've even seen them in guangdong, that is another issue to be prepared of.

I'd say stay in the UK and use your skills there. Just me though, good luck man.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: re: well qualified Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
You are very well qualified, so if your heart is set on it, the good jobs will come to you. I just think you are at an age where you should build a base first. I am now 37 and homeless in the UK, I have never been to Taiwan, but my experiences based on those met in China, is that they can be gruff and haughty at first meeting, and prefer to make friends over time. Different from mainland chinese where they will be friendly and smiley on first meeting, then quickly forget about you.

Quote:
f anything, I've read Taiwanese people can be quite, 'insular', it's harder to make friends than on the mainland. I'm not sure how true this is - has this been your experience?

As an island, much like the UK, japan, or any other island nation, yes they can be quite insular. There has also been a spate of foreign men having sex with local women, which sets the taiwanese men against foreigners. Something to be wary of.

If you can also cope with the bugs issue, huge spiders in your apartment, although some say if you keep cockroaches out you won't get them, but I don't believe that, they can squeeze through gaps and will come in to get out of the rain...I've even seen them in guangdong, that is another issue to be prepared of.

I'd say stay in the UK and use your skills there. Just me though, good luck man.

Thanks for the information. To be honest, there is a certain resentment towards foreign men on the mainland, and with the general calibre of 'teachers' I've met, I cannot say at least a bit is undeserved.

When you say, 'build a base', could you expand upon that? Do you mean get property in the UK? Continue to work in the UK?

Bugs are no problem.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: taiwan Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

That's good advice. Salaries for educators are low and the country has nothing much to offer in terms of culture compared with other options in the region. Not sure what you're looking for, but if you want to develop your TEFL career, give Taiwan a wide berth.
doomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't teach uni, but I've been in TW for 15 years and have read quite a few threads on forumosa. Search.

There are uni positions, but I'm not aware of current supply/demand.
Salaries from what I've read are: NT65-80K/mo. Notoriously low compared to other countries, so TW has a problem attracting PhDs.
Housing: Unsure, maybe.
Paid Holidays/leave: Yes.
Airfare: Unsure, but probably not.
Contact hours: 9-15.
Pressure to Publish: Some places yes, others no.
Extra classes (eg, extension): Not higher than 800/hr (?).

The general sentiment I get is: not that good. Quite a few say cram school pay for experienced vets is better + less hassle (and some do supplement with other P/T work).

Again, only from what I remember reading.

Environment is better than China. But here in Taipei, many people still wear face masks (scooter pollution).

GL in whatever you decide.
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

It seems my vision of Taiwan being a cleaner, more professional yet still lucrative version of China is misguided. I will continue my research and think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: