Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: What about? Reply with quote

Has ANYONE here gotten a RESIDENCE PERMIT based upon an invitation from a citizen to be a PERMANENT/SEMI-PERMANENT GUEST?

Girlfriend (not wife)? Friend?

In other countries it is possible to have a citizen (usually of the opposite sex) invite a foreign person to reside with them. It required being registered at the address the citizen lived at and involved a little bit of legal paperwork with Immigration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a GIANT pain in the a$$ man. that border jumping has to be getting old.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anything like that.

I'd expect you have to be married, or at least prove you're engaged.

Why else would they let you do it?
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other countries, you can.

Was hoping it could work here too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oipivo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better (or maybe worse I guess), I was just denied a Karta Pobytu based on a work permit. I think I'll be able to overturn the decision, but this is getting old.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oipiwo, how did that happen? What were their grounds for denial?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Polish bureaucracy gets old doesn't it!

It just doesn't cater for foreigners.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caters just fine for them provided they meet the rules that apply to them and their particular status.

It seems that there has been a ministry-level order to clamp down on issuing residence permits in this way to Americans. It was a common dodge for Americans to get a relatively easy residence permit for the EU, and the insistence on businesses being 'viable' is a new development.

I think in the case here, it makes sense to contact the American Embassy and try and figure out what they're denying residence permits to those operating legitimate businesses.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate calling the Embassy. Feels like they should have something better to do than deal with something as relatively inconsequential as this.

My accountant doesn't understand it but is going to get one of her lawyer clients to consider whether he thinks anything might be done by "pushing" this harder.

Three weeks or so ago I saw an ad for a job in Germany and recognized the school name as one where a former co-worker has been for the last three years. Called him up and chatted a bit and he said Germany even has a work visa deliberately for this type of situation. It doesn't allow full-time employment but basically legitimizes freelancers and consultant types.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Yep those Germans are cool.

Meanwhile I'm getting yet another zamelodowania just to get a visa credit card. Despite having a long banking history, several hundred thousand Zl in my current account and a lokata and savings account..oh and a GBP account. I've given up on the mortgage as it turns out the missus can get it easily despite earning a fraction of my salary.

Yep-Polish bureaucracy. Enough to drive you mad.
jaffa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Yep those Germans are cool....
Enough to drive you mad.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Germans might be cool, but you certainly aren't. Oh man, you need to sort out your bragging because it's getting more than nauseating. Barely a post goes by without mentioning how much money you've got. Why don't you go out and spend some instead of coming on here and boasting about it. Remember the Loadsamoney oaf (non-British can find him on youtube)? He must have based the character on you.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Don't confuse statement of facts with bragging.

The money I've got I earned. Poland is by far the most horrendous place I've ever lived for paperwork and meaningless, countless, hoop-jumping, exercises based on nationality, whether it's the banking or the endless 'getting your life sorted' stuff. I've lived in 9 countries.

The EU is meant to be a level playing field.

Cool? Who gives a sh*t about that schoolboy stuff.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a bunch of crap!

The paperwork issue is probably the main reason I'm not there now.

Even when they can say yes they say no.

I think this goes back to the old system. No one wants to take responsibility, if you say no then you can't get in trouble.

Some of it is the visa issue. Why is an ally of the USA not allowed into the country? They let millions of Mexicans over the border but not allow a few thousand Poles that want to come over.

The US embassy will not do anything. I called once and they said they do not have any control of what goes on within another countries borders!
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my feeling with regards to individual questions.

That said, there are times that the Business and Commerce people have some information regarding how to setup for business. Unfortunately that usually isn't very useful unless you are investing a million or two or forty or thousand and are going to be involved with something they consider to be strategic trade.

We shall see.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wojbrian wrote:
They let millions of Mexicans over the border but not allow a few thousand Poles that want to come over.

for what it's worth, that's a shoddy statement.

America doesn't "let" illegal immigrants cross the border, they find ways of sneaking over. bound to happen when you share thousands of miles of border and one country is a super power, the other is a total dump. with that said, net immigration of mexicans to the USA right now is right around zero. just as many mexicans coming as there are mexicans leaving. been that way for a couple years now.

as far as letting poles over, more than "a few thousand" make their way to the states every year. in fact, last I checked less than 10% are denied visas. whether or not it would create a problem if poland joined the visa waiver program is yet to be seen but i think we all can attest that it only takes meeting a small handful of poles at the pub till you hear of someone telling you about a sister or friend or uncle that went on a travel visa and never came back.

i hardly think Poles purposely do this to Americans as some sort of pay back. it's just the way it is over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: