Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools to avoid in Brisbane?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Schools to avoid in Brisbane? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm moving back to Brisbane next year after 4 years working in Europe and Asia.

I'll be looking for casual work at private language schools and universities.

Are there any schools that should be avoided?

Thanks!
sweetiesmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the job market for Brisbrane?
bisous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are heaps of jobs if you don't mind being employed on a casual basis. I've been told to avoid QAT and any institution run by TED (The Education Group). I've also been told that Brown's doesn't pay very well. I've heard good things about Holmes (in the city) and ELS (in Mt Gravatt) as well as the three major universities.
ESLAUST

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rundown from my experience and gossip:

Best
Langports and Lexis: Good schools, good mix of nationalities and supportive management. Langports a bit smug, Lexis a bit young.

OK
Browns: Excessively glitzy and has big staff turnover. Previous DOS had the ship sailing well. Show biz end of the spectrum.

LSI: Conservative, slow, cuddly.

Avoid
QAT and ALS: Dreadful places to work. Overseas management pushing hard to make a buck. Single nationality classes or near enough to it. Search out a better option.

Of course, working in a uni language centre is always the better option so far as pay is concerned. Not so many jobs around these days, though.

Think about the Sunshine Coast (better choice) or Gold Coast (still nice) if you're flexible. Same work conditions as Brisbane, but nicer places.

Just my opinion. Others will feel differently.
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

In my opinion I would avoid most of Queensland as an educator or anything to do with academia. Cairns is the only place I would ever visit because it has an international scene. Besides, Queenslanders are very particular about who they hire. If you don't have an English or Anglo-Saxon surname they don't appreciate you. That is expressing it mildly. People in QLD appear to have prejudices against non-Anglo Saxons. That is my experience. I guess if you are an extreme bigot, bordering the racist category you will adapt to the QLD mindset.
ESLAUST

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elegantstatue - I am sitting in an ESL staffroom in Brisbane at the moment with teachers from Australia, England, China, Singapore, Ethiopia, Malaysia, South Africa and (I think) Sweden.

My own name looks like a dropped bowl of alphabet soup, and I've lived in Brisbane for a decade without the slightest issue.

I don't think your problems are as a result of your surname.
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept what you say but all of Queensland needs lessons in ethnic acceptance of diversity. Cairns is the only place in QLD with a sense of internationalism where I would work.

And I do not take it lightly that Anglo-Saxons in Brisbane or anywhere else in Australia have learnt their lessons from varying strokes for different folks. Back in 2006 I was undertaking my teaching practicum in Australia, in a government regulated, funded teaching centre. About that time the Tsunami had wiped out the coast of greater Thailand.

My Anglo-Saxon teacher mentor made a tacit comment that more Thais should have drowned in the Tsunami. I could not comment then, partly from slight shock and also because I was undergoing training, that meant keeping my mouth shut and listening to guidance.

To this day I will never forget that tacit comment. 'More Thais should have been wiped out from the Tsunami?' I would react differently and possibly reproach a fellow teacher for making a comment like that if they were my colleague.

The point is this. Many Australian Anglo-Saxons are still closet racists. It gave me a prime motive for not associating with many of them in my city. They still treat immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers like criminals. Interestingly we built this country. And many of us outsiders are highly educated and more intelligent than Anglo-Saxons. By nature we are more intelligent because we are bilingual, in some cases like I, trilingual.

Yet intelligence in Australia is scorned upon and poppies like I are cut down. Anglo-Saxons speak English, that is all, that does not mean they are more intelligent. Where does that stupid theory come from? Certainly not Krashen, he would endorse the theory that polyglots have better critical thinking and solving skills.

Without diverting further. No. Brisbane, Calloundra and Red Neck Gold coast suck. There is no other way. They are mostly racist and I accept and will adhere to my obstinate opinion.
awayfromhome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Schools to avoid in Brisbane Reply with quote

Interesting comments, Elegantstatue. I thought blanket stereotyping was an indication of racism. Rather like the comments from the Anglo-Saxon you mentioned. Perhaps you need to look at yourself.
memae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to add to the list of schools: There's also the Institute of Continuing and TESOL Education at the University of Queensland. There might also be bridging/preparation programs at the 3 Brisbane universities for incoming international students who want/need to do an English course before starting their degree.

Also, my grandmother was hired by schools up in Cairns to do ESL learning support for migrant students. There might be some of that in Brisbane too.
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Schools to avoid in Brisbane Reply with quote

[quote="awayfromhome"]Interesting comments, Elegantstatue. I thought blanket stereotyping was an indication of racism. Rather like the comments from the Anglo-Saxon you mentioned. Perhaps you need to look at yourself.[/quote]

So reverse racism hurts? Then perhaps you may like to take a trip through history and note how racism has affected immigrants and ethnic Australian Aboriginals. I am guessing you know something of the racism experienced by Aboriginals in Australia past and present. Then again you could well be one of those Anglo-Saxon Australians that denies discrimination and racism is inactive. Racism is very active in Australian society, especially so among the white collar community in all spheres of the professional world. Anglo-Saxons are good at masquerading it, and it is in your duplicitous manner, however, that it becomes obvious through simple actions like denying any man or woman, with a non-Anglo surname the right to equality in certain professions. I have experienced it. So as a result of myself having a non pronounceable surname, you lot assume I can not read, write or express myself in English. That is a common and prevalent paradigm.

How much I would like to make public a name of a teacher mentor that made a racist comment about Thai people, when the tsunami hit their peninsular in 2006. She said all Thais should have been wiped out, yes she is Anglo-Saxon, and she has never been to a non-English speaking country, ever. I know why she became an ESL teacher, to experience foods from different cultures. What do I mean? Working in ESL one is exposed to different customs and food habits among many other matters. But like the typical Anglo, she would say, very quietly may I add: 'I love my job, I get to teach 'GOOKS' English and try their foods when it is the customary or religious time of celebrating festivals'. Dave Sperling would have a few kind words to say to her, his wife is Thai. Would you like me to tell you who it is in a PM Dave? I will give you her contact details too....
ESLAUST

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a negative encounter with someone 8 years ago and are still obsessing over it?

I've spoken to thousands of Australians in my daily life since 2006, and I've never heard anything like that opinion expressed.

It seems to me that it's not a mainstream view, and I'd suggest that it's probably time to move on.
awayfromhome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Ho Hum Reply with quote

Having worked in 8 different countries including SE Asia and ME, if I had collected all of the racist remarks I have heard (and yes, I am Anglo Saxon) I think I might have a longer list than yours. However, I prefer to put it down to a lack of education or decent upbringing and let it wash off my back. Life's a bit too short.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Schools to avoid in Brisbane Reply with quote

Elegantstatue wrote:
awayfromhome wrote:
Interesting comments, Elegantstatue. I thought blanket stereotyping was an indication of racism. Rather like the comments from the Anglo-Saxon you mentioned. Perhaps you need to look at yourself.

So reverse racism hurts? Then perhaps you may like to take a trip through history and note how racism has affected immigrants and ethnic Australian Aboriginals. I am guessing you know something of the racism experienced by Aboriginals in Australia past and present. Then again you could well be one of those Anglo-Saxon Australians that denies discrimination and racism is inactive. Racism is very active in Australian society, especially so among the white collar community in all spheres of the professional world. Anglo-Saxons are good at masquerading it, and it is in your duplicitous manner, however, that it becomes obvious through simple actions like denying any man or woman, with a non-Anglo surname the right to equality in certain professions. I have experienced it. So as a result of myself having a non pronounceable surname, you lot assume I can not read, write or express myself in English. That is a common and prevalent paradigm.

How much I would like to make public a name of a teacher mentor that made a racist comment about Thai people, when the tsunami hit their peninsular in 2006. She said all Thais should have been wiped out, yes she is Anglo-Saxon, and she has never been to a non-English speaking country, ever. I know why she became an ESL teacher, to experience foods from different cultures. What do I mean? Working in ESL one is exposed to different customs and food habits among many other matters. But like the typical Anglo, she would say, very quietly may I add: 'I love my job, I get to teach 'GOOKS' English and try their foods when it is the customary or religious time of celebrating festivals'. Dave Sperling would have a few kind words to say to her, his wife is Thai. Would you like me to tell you who it is in a PM Dave? I will give you her contact details too....

I think you need to take a look at yourself.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacit?

Masquerade?

Peninsular?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: