Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for BKK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esukert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Advice for BKK Reply with quote

Aloha, my name is Eugene and I am moving to Bangkok from Hawaii later this February with my cat. I am a retired mental health counselor and just graduated from the University of Hawaii with a BA in Second Language Studies and I plan to teach English in BKK. I have a few questions to help me with the transition.

1. Which course is better to take: CELTA or TEFL?

2. What is the current job market like in BKK?

3. I am looking for a place to live near a Skytrain platform (5-10 minutes walk). And to have some of the following amenities nearby: Big C, Cat friendly building or house, coffee shop, a restaurant that serves American style breakfast (pancakes, waffles, French toast and crepes). And a place that is fully furnished with a washer and dryer, as well as internet access. Oh, and in an area that is not a flood zone, I remember there were devastating floods in 2011.

I truly appreciate any information that can help me for this transition. Thank you.

Eugene,
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Moving to Bangkok from Hawaii? Just come here and get your CELTA there is plenty of work in Thai government schools. Good luck!
esukert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: CELTA course Reply with quote

do you know of any reputable places to get the CELTA course? Thank you. Someone had recommended: http://www.teflthai.com/
Is this a good place for taking the course?
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ The course on your link looks like it doesn't provide the all important 6 hours of observed teaching practice and I doubt it would be taken seriously outside of Thailand.

The CELTA's universally recognized and International House seem to be the biggest provider in Thailand.

http://www.ihbangkok.com/page/39-international_house_bangkok_prestigious_english_school_in_bangkok_celta_delta_thailand.html

Keep in mind though that you don't actually need a CELTA or TESOL to get a work visa here although it is useful if it's part of some long term teaching plan.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn_my_eyes wrote:
^ The course on your link looks like it doesn't provide the all important 6 hours of observed teaching practice and I doubt it would be taken seriously outside of Thailand.

You need to take a course that provides as much teaching experience as possible. That is a must. As has been pointed out many employers have a minimum when it comes to TEFL courses. The nice thing about CELTA courses is if you take them you know you will meet the minimum, because they are so standardized. Personally I would shoot for taking a TESOL course myself, but check the teaching hours, very important.
Aristede

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for BKK Reply with quote

esukert wrote:
Aloha, my name is Eugene and I am moving to Bangkok from Hawaii later this February with my cat. I am a retired mental health counselor and just graduated from the University of Hawaii with a BA in Second Language Studies and I plan to teach English in BKK. I have a few questions to help me with the transition.

Eugene,

You didn't mention what kind of school you want to work in. I came to Thailand nearly three months ago with the goal of teaching adults at a language school. Contacted a bunch of schools and never got an interview invitation, let alone a job.

I have a B.A., CELTA, and experience, so I suspect the chief reason is age bias. You will notice that many school advertisements specify an age range for applicants which is often quite narrow. If you are a "young" retiree, it might not matter. Otherwise it might.

But if your goal is to teach kids, it may be a different story. Then you have a market in all those Thai government schools EFL Educator mentioned. Personally I have no interest in teaching the little ones.

Good luck in whatever you pursue! Let us know how things turn out.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah with those courses and CELTA, you're a shoe in. You'll definitely find something, although who knows if it will be acceptable or not.

I have spent the last couple of weeks in Taipei trying to drum up work and it is dead here! This city is completely devoid of TEFL work, at least full-time TEFL work. I'm in shock, actually. What a dud. I'd come here on the advice of some friends in Bangkok who had taught here in the early 2000s. The place has been worked over, nothing going on in the way of work now.

Bangkok, on the other hand, is a great place to get started in TEFL.

Keep at it and those courses will make up for what they cost you.

Good luck!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will most definitely get a job. But be prepared for the students, that is all I have to say.
esukert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Housing Reply with quote

I am frequently finding condo's online for JC Tower...is that a good place to live and is it close to a skytrain platform? What is an area with lots of schools and good housing/condo, preferably a two bedroom...thank you in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: