Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Hekma International School , Doha?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
libran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Al Hekma International School , Doha? Reply with quote

Hi all
Does anyone know anything about this school? Its an American curriculum school and has two bases- one in Dafna and the other in Maamoura. Would appreciate any info on the school, children and management!!

Much appreciated!
proudlyfilipino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi libran,

If you are asking because you recently responded to an advert supposedly of Al Hekma, and have been sent a pre-contract or a job offer, be on guard. It might be a scam. Send no money for visa or work permit.
libran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm!! Reply with quote

Thank you soo much ProudlyFilipino!!!

I guessed as much! Do you know how and why its a little dodgy??
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Gulf, there are many scammers who will use the name of a real school and do false recruitment. If you go to the UAE branch, there is a sticky at the top of the page talking about how the various scammers work.

The minute they ask you to send money to an email address for a visa, you KNOW they are scammers.

VS
libran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VS! ..No personal details were given but I guess they now have a very good CV on their hands as well as some fantastic Interview answers!!!
Many thanks!
Jcray21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an offer from them as well. What was the email address the offer was sent from?
melbourne86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes i received the same offer. I emailed the school twice in Qatar via their website and had not herd anything back. I was sent a full contract from this email user-
[email protected]

Does anyone know anything about this email address? Could be a scam they haven't asked me for any money but i don't want to give my passport details to them. Any help would be appreciated thanks:) Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only say that this email address looks suspect IMHO.

Did any or all of actually apply for this job? What does this contract offer in addition to your salary?

If any of you are seriously interested in this job, I would pick up the telephone and call them.

VS
libran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS
I did apply for a position at the school but through a 'recruitment agency'.. I also contacted the school via email twice asking for clarifications , then they sent me the contract .. these clauses allude a very possible 'scam' feature:

MOBILIZATION:Employee shall take care of his/her traveling expenses visa documents and the school shall provide an invitation letter and contact details of the Qatar immigration officer here who will assist employee to procure his/her traveling documents from The Qatar Immigration Service which the school will reimburse back the expense spent during that process as soon as the employee get here and start working with us.

NOTE: “On no account will Employer (Al Hekma International School Qatar) [b]accept to shoulder costs for Processing of Work/ Resident Permit Papers of Employee before Work sign-on.
This is to possibly evade losses that may be accrued to Employer should Employee decide to decline Job Offer after certain Expenses must have been made by Employer.” But the school will bear the cost of your flight ticket once your work visa is ready.

I did deliberate on ringing them but decided as I feel its not legit- why call them... I may be right as its been a week that I havnt responded to their 'offer' .. the fact that they havnt got in touch either confirms that it is all a scam!
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar labor law states that among other things it is the employer’s responsibility to take care of new hires'/rehires' visa expenses. Employers can only pay these expenses with credit or debit cards - no cash allowed.

The law is enforced as far as know is I've never heard of anyone bearing their own visa expenses.

Chance of being a scam is climbing as I doubt there is a way to even pay it yourself - the legal way!

mts
libran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MyTrunkshow for your worthy comments!!! Hear Hear!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: