Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renewing passport while applying for Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PYT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Renewing passport while applying for Visa Reply with quote

I am currently getting my passport renewed (due to water damage) and won't get my new passport back until the end of February.

The school I am considering wants my passport so they can send me my invitation letter. Now my old passport is still valid (doesn't expire until 2016), but I was wondering if it would be wiser to wait and use the new one.

The issue is that the invitation letter will take some time to get here (I'm in the US as of now), so I would rather have them send over the letter and when I get my new passport, get the visa at the consulate right away.

Not too sure if you guys have any insight on this.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ask them? Tell them what you told us, see what they say. Time may be of the essence, the new term starts in two weeks or so...
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up a few years ago. As I recall, the problem was that the school got the permit process started using the number/date etc details from the scanned version.
When the FT turned up he/she handed over the NEW passport which the FAO didn't notice.
When the passport reached the PSB it rejected the application because the passport handed over didn't match the detail on the application.
Take home message: Tell the school that you will be renewing and to NOT use the number and expiry date shown on the scanned version.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I believe the OP is getting a REPLACEMENT passport, not a RENEWAL. I'm not familiar with how that works; do the expiration date and number remain the same?
PYT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I am actually getting a renewal so the expiration date will change.

The school just told me that'd I have to use the new passport. I didn't realize my passport number would change as well, so no way I can get that done now. It's not an university so it's not super important. I'll just have to delay things.

Apparently, passport number for replacement changes too (depends on the country). That makes me wonder... what happens with your bank account, since your account is essentially tied to your passport number?

Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure that out once I get back to china. Lesson learned here.

Thanks for info guys.

Last edited by PYT on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection of the last time this came up was a possibility that the old passport had been stolen.
The new passport would allow the legit holder to travel and the old number was flagged as 'stolen'.
A simpler proposition for foreign immigration services I expect.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A simpler proposition for foreign immigration services I expect.

Yes, and it makes perfect sense; practically a no-brainer. Now my question seems kinda dumb.

As for the bank account, OP, when you return to China, tell them you have a new passport and let them scan it (or take the number, depends on which bank you use; BoC scans, ABC takes the number). That SHOULD do it.

Something similar happened when I returned to China and opened a new ABC account in a different province. The teller at the new bank saw my old account and noticed the discrepancy between my new cell phone number and the number on the old account. She changed it, no muss, no fuss.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this late date, the school would probably prefer to wait than go through the hassle of hiring someone new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: