Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LanguageLink: Good company to work for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: LanguageLink: Good company to work for? Reply with quote

Hi, I have spent the last 3 years teaching China. I have decided to move on and have been offereda job in Russia with Languagelink. They have a visible online presence and schools in many cities across Russia, which would imply to me that they are pretty good employers. Indeed, the sample cntract they sent me seems to be very good. Do any readers have experience teaching for Languagelink? If so I'd be interested hearing about your experiences.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is, no they are not good employers.

Fuller answer is they are a McSchool and probably as good as place as any to start off in Russia. They'll sort out visas and accommodation etc for you. But expect very basic everything, including management. Also, salary package is very much on the low side.

I've never worked full time with them myself, just did occasional work on freelance basis. Nothing great about them, but nothing egregious either once you understand they are bottom of the rung re terms and conditions. The conditions are not generous, but they usually stick to them at least. Use them as an entre, then branch out to something better.

Good luck!
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the iinfo. To be honest, I have worked for a McSchool in China too, and while, as you say, the pay is lower, I have also found that they do tend to stick to the contracts which other schools don't. Also the pay offered is the same across the board so I guess I'd have to make sure I didn't work for them in Moscow or St. Petersburg but rather in another city where the living costs are lower.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - you'll have a fairly good idea of what you'll be dealing with in that case. However, I am not so sure about the lower costs of living outside of the two capitals. I cannot say I noticed any significant differences in prices, for anything really...
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Which Russian cities have you lived/worked in? Do you have a favourite?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just lived in Moscow. But regular business trips to other locations for testing etc. Menus in cafes and bars, price tags on clothing etc. all seem to be roughly over-priced in the same way as Moscow and St Petersburg. I do not know about the price of renting a flat, but that is your McSchool's concern anyway.

I'd very much doubt that there is too much to economized by living in the provinces, but perhaps those who are based there will post and clarify that with more first-hand info than I can give.
teacher X

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

I've never worked full time with them myself, just did occasional work on freelance basis. Nothing great about them, but nothing egregious either once you understand they are bottom of the rung re terms and conditions. The conditions are not generous, but they usually stick to them at least. Use them as an entre, then branch out to something better.

I have to disagree with you here. I know I haven't been here long, but the LL I work for is by far the most competent school I've worked for in Moscow and pretty much on par with every other school I have ever worked for in China/Germany/Japan. (which includes a brief stint working for an international school in Berlin)

On the other hand, there are a couple of other schools I do a bit of contractual work for and I sometimes wonder how they manage to run at all.

They do indeed pay a bit more (although I've yet to find any school which will pay more than 1000 p/ah)

A colleague of mine at one of the other companies got a text message telling him that his Thursday class had cancelled. He called them up to tell them that he doesn't even have a Thursday class at all. Despite this, they text him a few hours later to tell him that the students were going to come after all and that he should turn up as usual.

So I really don't see how the conditions are so bad, if anything, they are better than other places I've seen. My biggest complaint is that none of my students are hot.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of schools pay more than 1000 rubles per academic hour. 1,300 was the minimum I accepted over the last year - and it can go higher. Depends where you are working and whom you are teaching. But in any case, you are talking about freelance work, aren't you? I don't think a full-time salary works out at that rate.

Language Link are just as incompetent as the other McSchools. I won't bore you with the details of my experience - suffice it to say that I was on the receiving end of a lot worse than stupid text messages telling me that mystery classes were about to begin. You perhaps have been lucky, and that is great for you. But I'd be wary of assuming that your experience matches the majority's. Perhaps mine doesn't either, but there is a range out there. And the OP will be better served expecting at least the possibility of some rough handling here and there.

I wonder what the full-time salary is these days for LL, or any other of the Maccers? Anyone?
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys. What are the price differences between Moscow and smaller Russian cities? For example Rstov-na-Donu or Ufa or Ekaterinburg?
teacher X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
. And the OP will be better served expecting at least the possibility of some rough handling here and there.

Fair point. I agree. Expect the worst and you'll hopefully be ok.

Sasha! Stop hogging all the well paid companies and send some my way. You greedy fiend.
As for general LL salary, it isn't high. Expect about 40k + Apartment or 60k - Apartment.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh! Is that really all they pay. So...saaaad.

Teacher X, I will be only too happy to connect you to high-paying clients, the fruit of my years of labour, the result of my substantial local contacts. Just sign my terms of agreement, which gives me 33% of any income derived from your lessons, and we can get the ball rolling. As I think you'll agree, my conditions are more than generous, and by McSchool standards are almost acts of charity. But help me sell you to these high-rolling clients: how many years' experience, and what professional qualifications do you have again?

To the OP, cannot help with a price comparison, but others should be able to.
teacher X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Sheesh! Is that really all they pay. So...saaaad.
But help me sell you to these high-rolling clients: how many years' experience, and what professional qualifications do you have again?

I managed to finish school. I am able to write sentences which end in punctuation of some kind.!? I once saw a man feed a duck a bottle of green tea.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call us, we'll call you...
newtoefl2011

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher x.....I've also seen that in China. And people feeding fish from baby bottles........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: