Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to wear in Oman ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey_Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: What to wear in Oman ? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone out there could give some advice to a newbie about what to wear in Oman. I'll be arriving from Thailand in September, so I was hoping to have some things made before I arrived.

Would it be acceptable to wear an (East) Indian style tunic top with pants underneath? How formal do you need to dress for work?

Thanks heaps!
Monkey Girl Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Again,

Great idea to have things made in Thailand beforehand. There are also good tailors in Oman, but perhaps not as cheap? I am not exactly sure what your tunic top looks like, but as long as it is not too form fitting (loose is both modest and cooler) and the shoulders and upper arms are covered, they should be perfect. (I normally had my sleeves elbow or 3/4 length.)

Personally I preferred skirts as they are much cooler than pants. I had 2 long skirts that I used for patterns and had about a half dozen of those gauzy 'broomstick' skirts. I always brought a supply of good cotton back from summer leave and had my tailor there make up skirts and tops. Smile

If you have been living in Thailand, you should be ready for the weather in Oman, it can be hotter, but at least it is usually less humid.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeygirl,

Adam has been his usual helpful polite self, but it does bring up something that I might add.

In Oman, it would be considered a bit strange if your clothing was too 'ethnic'?? (for want of a better term). The teaching staffs are very international, but very few western expats are ever seen wearing what would be considered national dress of some other country. You would not be criticized for it, but I thought that you might want to know that it would be thought a tad eccentric. (in particular by your fellow expats as Adam has demonstrated)

Perhaps you are just referring to combining the tunic length tops - made with the wonderful fabrics available there - with other skirts and pants (no jeans at work, of course) - and perhaps you are not even a westerner Smile but I just thought that I would elaborate.

VS
Monkey_Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice! (and i apologize for the late response)

i wasn't planning to go too 'ethnic'; i just wanted an idea of what is acceptable and how formal i should dress.

i think i'll have some things made in thailand and then figure the rest out when i arrive.

thanks again!
monkeygirl Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: