Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting my tax refund from these people is impossible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christmas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Getting my tax refund from these people is impossible. Reply with quote

In November they sent my refund cheque to my old company in Malaysia even though I requested it sent to my foreign account since I left the country. I emailed practically everyone at the taxation department over the course of 2 months to try and get this cleared up. I even sent an email to the Malaysian High Commission in my desperation. I was finally contacted and was told they wired my money to my foreign account. Two weeks later and I am still waiting to see it.
What is going on with these people? It is for 11,000 ringget and I don't want to turn my back on it.
Does anyone know how to resolve this? Or is it a complete lost cause?
Feel cheated by the 26% tax forced on me.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation. The guy said he would send me the money and still hasn't. And now I can't email him anymore cause my company email account got closed down. I've been emailing Brighton about it; you can guess how interested they are.
christmas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Brighton. Scum bags.
Didn't want to believe I was being taken to the cleaners over this but seems I am. Instead of emailing Brighton contact Hasil.gov.my
That is the income tax department.
Hope we get it.
Cheers
girl in blue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

So i was in the same position with taxes. Called the tax office, in Johor in November to find out where my refund was. Still wasn't processed so told they had 2 weeks to get it into my account, if it wasn't there then I would be coming down to the office. The woman I spoke seemed surprised I was still in the country and promised to get me the money.... two weeks later it was in my account. Two friends did the same and they also got their cash back. Seems like the idea of an angry teacher demanding their money in reception was enough to speed them up.

Good luck with getting your refund Very Happy
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been in malaysia 14 months and come to realize it is a highly corrupt country with very little law enforcement. bank staff regularly steal funds from customers' accounts. doesnt surprise me at all about the tax refund stuff. i will be waiting for the same experience shortly. good luck.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi girl in blue. Can you give us the email address for Hasil that you used?
christmas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did finally get the tax refund. I emailed everyone about it including the Malaysian High Commission requesting help. It was so frustrating. How can a money transfer take two weeks from Malaysia when it only takes 2 days from other countries.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where'd you finally get the help?
girl in blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't email them as I didn't have a contact name, but give them a call the number is 60 07 - 233 7000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: