Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the fly, best countries to find work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: On the fly, best countries to find work Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm a certified teacher in the US, with history and biology as my subjects. I'm leaving the states in June and want to travel around Asia for 2-? Years. I'm open to low stress, 2nd or 3rd tier international schools, but am fine with esl. As I have no set plan per se, I am wondering what countries I can find work in if I have boots on the ground, as opposed to applying from a different country. Seems like Thailand is one obvious answer, but that many other countries are tightening up their visa requirements such that just showing up probably won't work. Am I wrong? I just want to go and follow my nose and opportunities. Thoughts? Corrections? Please be nice. Smile (yes, I do have some savings to fund the times of famine, but not unlimited). I don't feel the need to save, just pay my way.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: On the fly, best countries to find work Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
Hello all. I'm a certified teacher in the US, with history and biology as my subjects. I'm leaving the states in June and want to travel around Asia for 2-? Years. I'm open to low stress, 2nd or 3rd tier international schools, but am fine with esl. As I have no set plan per se, I am wondering what countries I can find work in if I have boots on the ground, as opposed to applying from a different country. Seems like Thailand is one obvious answer, but that many other countries are tightening up their visa requirements such that just showing up probably won't work. Am I wrong? I just want to go and follow my nose and opportunities. Thoughts? Corrections? Please be nice. Smile (yes, I do have some savings to fund the times of famine, but not unlimited). I don't feel the need to save, just pay my way.

I think it might be difficult to do this in Japan. You'd be better situated to get a job if you are physically in Japan, but the paperwork to get hired takes from a few weeks to a couple months, and in the meantime you're either burning through your savings or working illegally. Also, setup costs are high (most people recommend bringing around $4000 to $5000), which would make it difficult to recoup your expenses if you are planning on "travelling around Asia". Also, most contracts are for a year.

I have no first-hand experience, but I'd guess that your best bets are Thailand (as you said), Vietnam, Cambodia, and maybe Laos. We can see if anyone else chimes in about those.
Yasuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic, would love to hear what others have to say about it. It seems like the more developed the country, the higher the barrier to entry. Has anyone else found that to generally be the case?
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
MrWright

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's what I am gathering: Japan-no, Korea-no, China-no(?), Thailand-yes, Myanmar-yes, Cambodia-yes, Laos-yes, Indonesia-probably not, Vietnam-no(?), and expanding out the reach of the question to the ME, Egypt-yes, Turkey-yes. Thoughts or corrections to these assumptions?
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certified teacher with a science degree! You'd be snapped up in no time for an international school position in Indonesia....in jakarta of course.
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my degree is in History and Secondary Education, but I have the Biology on my teaching certificate because I had enough classes to be able to pass the state test. Besides, if I were to teach a subject, I'd much rather it be History. I have 8 years of classroom experience in the public schools. Thank you to those who have responded, but please keep it coming if anyone has anything to add. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: