Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary at Sultan Qaboos University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Salary at Sultan Qaboos University Reply with quote

Anyone know the salary range and benefits package for Sultan Qaboos University?

I have an MA in TESOL and 10+ years experience teaching in university ESL programs.

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last offer that I heard was for someone with less experience than you and that was for about 1400 OR a month plus free furnished housing and the other usual benefits. They do have a formal pay scale.

One doesn't go to Oman for the "big money" Cool

VS
Fatboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Do you know about the education allowance?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Fatboy wrote:
Do you know about the education allowance?

An Internet search using Guide for New Teachers Sultan Qaboos University yields a Word doc where you'll find info about allowances included.
Fatboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Thanks for the information Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. The guide is very useful. I found out the education allowance is very low and does not cover half the cost of a decent school.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general take on allowances/stipends is that they're meant to assist with a portion of the cost of something rather than cover the entire amount. Besides, employers aren't obligated to provide dependent allowances; they're essentially add-on benefits to sweeten the deal a bit.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't yet meet the requirments in their advertising (only 1 year college teaching, MA finished late this year) should I still bother applying? Or is competition their enough to ensure they get exactly what they want?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only apply to see if you'll get an interview. But yes, TESOL Arabia's job fair will draw plenty of applicants with solid qualifications.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
If I don't yet meet the requirments in their advertising (only 1 year college teaching, MA finished late this year) should I still bother applying? Or is competition their enough to ensure they get exactly what they want?

SQU follows their hiring requirements and it would be a waste to apply this year if you do not. Since it is by far the best job in Oman, they have little problem finding teachers who exceed their minimum requirements. To show you the conditions, there are still teachers in the Language Center that I worked with back in the late 80s. Cool

VS
oilers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
My general take on allowances/stipends is that they're meant to assist with a portion of the cost of something rather than cover the entire amount. Besides, employers aren't obligated to provide dependent allowances; they're essentially add-on benefits to sweeten the deal a bit.

that's true they aren't obligated but for anyone who can get good quality education for free in their home countries, paying money for it overseas will not cut it for many and they will not work overseas if it becomes a zero-sum game. hardly a sweet deall when you're paying out of pocket, thus the 'deal' is in-effect reduced, sometimes considerably given the cost of these rip-off schools in the gulf. imo
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary for SQU teachers coming to work in the Language Centre is more than enough. As previously stated, most people do not come here for 'big bucks'. We've lost a handful of teachers just in the past 2 years to the UAE, but we've also gotten a good number of teachers from UAE who say that working for SQU and living in Oman in general more than make up for the lower salaries.

For families with school-aged children, it can be quite a burden financially. Still there are many who make it work...
Opti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: SQU LC school tuition stipends for dependent children Reply with quote

Almost all expat Language Centre teachers with school-age children in one of the leading (& expensive) independent schools, such as the British School Muscat (BSM), The American School in Muscat (TASIM) or the American British Academy (ABA), choose to teach the 8-week summer school session each year to help pay for their tuition. (Some teachers with kids in university or college also teach summer school to help pay for that as well!) I don't think the education stipends have changed in the 8 years I've been teaching there, nor has the summer school pay increased, which is based on your final degree status (e.g., a PhD holder makes the most, no matter what his/her usual salary grade is). The only teachers with kids that I know of who don't feel the need to teach summer school are the ones who have a spouse with a well-paid full-time job outside the LC (e.g., business executive or independent school teacher or administrator). If your spouse works for an independent school, your kids may qualify for reduced (free?) tuition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: