Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi visa for 58 yr old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsdarcy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Abu Dhabi visa for 58 yr old Reply with quote

Hello there. I've browsed this forum enough to be clear that most members are tertiary teachers - I'm a high school teacher. I applied to ADEC, via teachaway, and was told that, because I will be 60 before the end of the two year contract (DOB 14 March 1956) I would not be granted a visa. Is there any 'grey' (Feeble pun not intentional) in the matter of age in the UAE? Before I totter off into my twilight I'd like a change from teaching English here in New Zealand and Abu Dahbi appeals. I wanted to know if it's worth sending CVs to schools directly. I meet the requirements for quals and teaching experience - and who doesn't love a New Zealander? No answer necessary for final question.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach Away is likely adhering to the UAE's visa/labor regulations, although I recall seeing recent news articles stating the retirement age was going up to 65.

Be aware that many of the schools use recruiting agencies to fill teacher positions, so it may be tricky finding a reputable school that handles its own recruitment and offers short-term contracts. Anyway, hopefully a current ADEC teacher or someone in your similar situation will be able to better answer your question.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read mrsdarcy's post as suggesting that she is looking for a short term contract. Of course, NS and I can only speculate at the workings of the Ministry and its visas, but I would go ahead and try applying to various schools and see if any make an offer. If one does, then check it out carefully to see that it isn't too abusive...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I don't read mrsdarcy's post as suggesting that she is looking for a short term contract.

I'm sure she would like long-term work. I mentioned short-term contracts because that might give her the opportunity to still work in Abu Dhabi if it turns out a 2-year contract isn't doable given her age (see below). In other words, a shorter contract might offer her at least a year in the UAE.

I saw a post on another site that was similar to the OP's about ADEC that stated: "Only teachers already working in Abu Dhabi are eligible to work beyond age 60." i suspect this might be the case with the OP.

From the UAE government's website:
    "Although the retirement age varies from job to job, expatriates working in the private sector who are over 60 years of age require the approval of the Ministry of Labour. From 2011 onwards, private sector employees can now get two year extensions to work after their retirement age, as compared to the previous one year extensions
    Source: http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/DispForm.aspx?ID=33&category=Citizens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: