Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's my best options(s) for teaching in the ME?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrickland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: What's my best options(s) for teaching in the ME? Reply with quote

With what's listed below, would I be able to get a job in the ME that isn't horrible? If so, what countries should I look at? I realize KSA is out because the only jobs I would get are probably from sketchy outfits. So I'd like to know what other ME countries might be more green-friendly but still reputable. I'm male and I'm 32.

1 year of domestic (US) ESL classroom experience

TEFL certification (in person w/ practicum hours)

BA (liberal arts/not related to teaching)

prior to teaching I was in the software industry w/ a govt contractor doing project/product management

My reason for posing this question is that I'm considering going back to school for a TESOL (or related) masters. My destination of choice afterward would be the ME. I think it might be wise to try it on first before spending all that money for the masters.

Having said that, I know a lot of the desirable jobs in the ME want 2-3 years of post-graduate experience. Should I just give up this idea of trying the ME first? Just go to Asia first? Is that where you all "paid your dues"?

The other reason I want to try the ME is because for any future position it will be an advantage on my resume that I've had experience in a ME/Arabic-speaking country. I want whatever experience I accrue to count for as much as it can.

Oh and I just remembered, it's usually asked what teaching preferences the OP has. Ideally, my preference is to teach in an academic setting with high school or university students. I can be flexible though.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your limited credentials, there are few jobs available for significant money in the ME. You could find a job in Saudi, but it would probably tend towards the horrible.

If you intend to stay in this field, I would just bite the bullet and get that MA in Applied Linguistics or TESOL or whatever they call it where you study. It certainly won't do you any harm professionally. Laughing You are right that the best jobs in the ME look for experience after the MA, but you could head to Asia and get experience... preferably teaching Academic English at university level. IEP experience in the US is also good - if you can get it.

Then head to the ME and you'll be ready to start padding the retirement accounts.

VS
astrickland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VS. I appreciate the advice and insight. I am actually teaching at an IEP here in Washington D.C. The masters program I'm looking at now is at American University. It's a MAT TESOL which I believe is similar to what user nomad soul had done. The only drawback to it will be the enormous cost/student loans to do it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with VS; get a relevant MA that will appeal to all overseas employers (and not one similar to that Christian-based, China-focused MA you mentioned in your other forum thread). Then head to Asia to gain some post-degree experience before contemplating this region.

By the way, my degree is a MAT (MA in Teaching). However, my major isn't in Applied Linguistics nor TESOL, but it is TEFL-focused---21 semester credits' worth including my practicum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: