Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

content area for BA in education
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desert wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Yep, stick with regional accreditation if you don't want your degree to raise any eyebrows.

Would getting a DELTA help to compensate for any eyebrow raising?

I'm not all that familiar with the DELTA and never encountered anyone who had one in the universities where I taught.

I suspect that the answer to your question is that it depends on the employer as to its usefulness in replacing an MA. A related MA will be widely recognized around the world.

El Hobo wrote:
I'm talking about the teachers who enjoyed their lives in ESL but did not prepare for the future and became increasingly more desperate and anxious. I'm talking of those that perhaps wanted children but had made a career which they would struggle to export back to their home countries.

Like Nomad, I have found this to be just as, if not more, common within the US (and I'd bet UK, NZ, and AUS) with people who had never bothered to get trained or educated for any kind of profession that allows the to raise the kids or retire. The cause is not ESL/EFL, but the individual...

VS
desert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses, and I think El Hobo makes a good point about planning ahead.

Another thought that crossed my mind was to aim for a teaching stipend at a brick and mortar university. I currently have one year of overseas experience, so I would probably need at least a couple more years of teaching experience before making a competitive application.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee that I will be able to get a teaching stipend, so I might be better off doing a distance MA while I have the opportunity.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different states have opportunities to earn a teaching credential in a non-traditional way. It is also possible that your state has a shortage of ESL teachers and you may be able to obtain an emergency certification. Google "alternative teaching certification (your state)" and see; you have nothing to lose. Once you have the proper certification, the doors will open.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try for a TESOL fellowship at VS' alma mater, the American University in Cairo (http://www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/grad/finsup/Pages/TESOL.aspx).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You can try for a TESOL fellowship at VS' alma mater, the American University in Cairo (http://www.aucegypt.edu/admissions/grad/finsup/Pages/TESOL.aspx).

Good idea as they are probably not being overwhelmed with applications these days... BUT... the end date for applying for next September was Feb 1. Crying or Very sad

VS
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little difficult to comment specifically in your case because the thread has gotten too widespread, I would say. This is because, seems to me, you yourself are not sure what it is you want to do.

In general, though, you have to decide if you want to teach at the K-12, university, military or company levels, because each one of these teaching paths require different preparations and certifications. It's pretty hard to "blend" them, seems to me. At least it would take a long time to get all those certificatioins and degrees.

You also didn't mention if you're male or female, which, in the Middle East, particularly in KSA, is an important category to consider.

Also, as you know, certification for the K-12 level varies widely in the 50 states. In AZ for example, you can be certified in a major subject like Math and then obtain what they call an "endorsement" in ESL, for example, which lets you teach both ESL and Math at the K-12 level. Other states do not have a K-12 certification....they have a K-6 and a 7-12 certification or similar combinations which you have to specify and work towards.

I am curious why you would want to work in the Middle East in the first place. Nothing on this thread has addressed that important question. Have you ever worked or lived overseas, particularly in a 3d world or Muslim country?

Many experienced teachers strongly recommend that your first job overseas should not be in the Middle East and that you test your wings elsewhere first.

Last edited by SENTINEL33 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total
desert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:
It's a little difficult to comment specifically in your case because the thread has gotten too widespread, I would say. This is because, seems to me, you yourself are not sure what it is you want to do.

Dear SENTINEL33,
I think that you’re right that I haven’t completely made up my mind although you could say that I’m heavily leaning towards teaching at the university level. I’m exploring all the options because I can currently go back to the university either in my state or through distance learning. The only way that it would be possible for me to study out of state would be if I could get a teaching stipend. AUC seems ideal for that…

SENTINEL33 wrote:
You also didn't mention if you're male or female, which, in the Middle East, particularly in KSA, is an important category to consider.

SENTINEL33 wrote:
I am curious why you would want to work in the Middle East in the first place. Nothing on this thread has addressed that important question. Have you ever worked or lived overseas, particularly in a 3d world or Muslim country?

Many experienced teachers strongly recommend that your first job overseas should not be in the Middle East and that you test your wings elsewhere first.

To answer some of your questions: I am male, and I have lived in various Middle Eastern countries for about 2.5 years (teaching English/studying Arabic). I would prefer to teach in the Middle East/North Africa to improve my spoken Arabic and for religious reasons. I don’t have any debts, and I am not married. I would like to teach in MENA although I realize that I will have to pay my dues to get the better jobs.
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think you first have to come to a decision on what exactly you want to do. That's at least half the battle. Then your realistic options will become much clearer.

AUC is an excellent choice given that you can get your MA and at the same time be in daily contact with Arabic which you couldn't do in the USA.

If you've already lived and worked in the ME, then there's not much I can say that you haven't run across already.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desert wrote:
I’m exploring all the options because I can currently go back to the university either in my state or through distance learning. The only way that it would be possible for me to study out of state would be if I could get a teaching stipend. AUC seems ideal for that.

You've been given plenty of info and advice so far about teaching EFL at the university level as well as teaching content in an international school setting. You just need to figure out which domain to commit to based on whatever realistic criteria you've laid out for yourself. Anyway, I suggest you also take a look at "What do you look for in a BA or MA degree program?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95138).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: