Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moscow schools? Do they exist?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Moscow schools? Do they exist? Reply with quote

I am working outside of Moscow which is very difficult because of the amount of travelling I am doing. Are there any schools that are in Moscow? I don't mean 'Moscow region'! Thanks
teacher X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. There are no schools inside Moscow. Amazingly, the people of Moscow are actually educated via a 'brain chip' inserted into the back of their skull.
Once a week they must visit Lenin's Mausoleum where they pray to the corpse of Lenin. He grows strong from their prayers and imparts a small amount of his vast knowledge through the brain chip in their head.

This is how Muscovites are educated. So, no, there are no schools at all in Moscow because they are simply not needed.
alex1970

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they not needed?
teacher X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know what else to add. Confused
This conversation upsets me. I'm going to seek solace in vodka.

Good luck, comrade.
FreakingTea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once a week they must visit Lenin's Mausoleum where they pray to the corpse of Lenin. He grows strong from their prayers and imparts a small amount of his vast knowledge through the brain chip in their head.

Where can I get one of these chips? I'm thinking it could save a lot of time as opposed to studying dialectics on my own.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vodka and dialectics! A marriage made in what would be heaven if it existed and was not being constructed in reality in the Workers' Paradise : )
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of schools in Moscow proper. But the amount of travelling can be quite high too. But at least there is an efficient metro service.

Try searching for BKC, English First, Language Link, and the usual suspects. Tell 'em you want work in the centre, and not out in the sticks. Should be fairly easy to sort something out.
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at English First, and can tell you that it's pretty easy to get hired there in Moscow - and some schools are definitely looking. The schools are generally not too far out and close to the Metro, making it easy to hit the city centre. If you're going for next Sept. they will definitely be hiring. PM me for more info if you like.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Tongue in cheek?? Reply with quote

Maybe this thread is a wind-up? Anyone in Russia will admit that most things start from Moscow and this includes private language schools!Without knowing where the person who posted this lives and works now it is hard to give an objective opinion on whether he would be better off in the city?
Some satellite towns can be dull, grey and boring and not very welcoming to foreigners, food costs are unfortunately still expensive and only rents are cheaper there. Commuting is a bind wherever you have to do it, but in Moscow it can be hell!
alex1970

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Moscow schools? Do they exist? Reply with quote

Not a wind up unfortunately!

I am in a dull satellite town of Moscow and desperate to find teaching work in Moscow or nearer to it.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook up with a McSchool. At least you'll be in the metropolis...
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Which one are you in, Alex? Reply with quote

I know quite a few of them and agree that not many are very interesting or attractive to live in.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: P.S...... Reply with quote

I would also add that the major drawback of living in Moscow is the cost of accom. if the firm is not providing it-even then be careful where you end up!
People are charging almost the same nowadays for a room in a shared flat as they were for a basic studio apartment a few years ago...(around 30.000 roubles!)Unless of course you want to save money and commute from a satellite town, enduring the hassle and stress and also paying the increased fares this will involve?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maruss, where are you getting your info exactly? It has been about ten years or so since you lived here, hasn't it? You should know that there is still a range of pricing for rooms and flats out there. Just need the connections to find an affordable spot.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Correct me if I'm wrong Sasha? Reply with quote

But one of my friends in Moscow told me this afternoon that you cannot find even a 1-room Soviet-style studio in Moscow nowadays for under about 30.000 roubles per month and even that is difficult: it will also most probably be either in a bad area or not convenient for transport and other facilities? This is why so many Russians who don't own their own place opt for flat-sharing, unless they are well-off!
Bearing in mind that many firms who do not offer accommodation in Moscow for teachers pay around 60-70.000 roubles per month net this effectively means that at least half of your earnings will go on rent-unless you are prepared to suffer the inconvenience of renting a room in a shared flat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: