Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Private Lessons Reply with quote

What kind of rates are you getting for private 1 on 1 lessons in LA? And how do those rates compare to rates being paid by schools? How easy is it to find supplemental private work?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any place in mind, in terms of a country, or at least a region? It varies wildly depending on the country, the size of the city you live in, and how many other teachers there are in your area. In general, private classes pay more than schools, but you have to travel to the class (usually), prepare and be ready for a certain number of cancellations, often last minute. Small group classes are a bit better, in terms of cancellations, but most of the rest still applies. You might find you are better off, over all, just going to a school and staying put, rather than running all over to earn more pay, but really having a lot more time invested once you count all the extras.
Landon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm mostly interested in South America. Top choices would be Ecuador, Uruguay and Peru, in that order. I have lived in all three. We seem to be narrowing in on Ecuador; Quito, Riobamaba, or Cuenca.

My wife and I are in our late 20s and early 30s. We have been fortunate in our careers and have saved up a nice little nest egg so far here in the States, even though we are still young. A net worth of a few hundred thousand. Its not much here, but it should go a long way in many South American cities.

We are hoping to start a small business abroad of some kind, (we have a few ideas) and teach private English on the side, just to have a little spending money, and something to keep us busy. I don't think either one of us are looking for a full time position in a school. I just don't think it is worth it.

Are private lessons in my home not common? Must you always travel? Is it easy to find private lessons? Would the part time money be enough just to get by on?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go to peoples homes. If you have a couple hundred thousand just set up a business overseas. With less than 50k you could do.it in Peru.

Youre looking at about 10-15 an hr which is more than youd get at a school. About finding students it depends on you and how you advertise. Word of mouth is often the best
Landon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks a lot. I had no idea it would be that much. I thought I was dreaming thinking I could get $5 or $6 an hour. Thanks for the info.

I remember that you are married to a Peruvian like I am and also lived in Lima like I did. We still have lots of family there and try and visit at least every year. Im sure they would love it if we finally moved back closer.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landon wrote:
Wow. Thanks a lot. I had no idea it would be that much. I thought I was dreaming thinking I could get $5 or $6 an hour. Thanks for the info.

I remember that you are married to a Peruvian like I am and also lived in Lima like I did. We still have lots of family there and try and visit at least every year. Im sure they would love it if we finally moved back closer.

Depends where you are. I made $5 an hour in Piura doing privates. In Seoul it was more like 10-15. Depends on who you teach, what you teach, how many times a week, etc. There's a lot of factors you have to figure in.
Landon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you like living in Piura? Would it be a good retirement type place? How was the safety, cost of living, etc. Have always wondered about Piura but have never been there. Thanks
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landon wrote:
How did you like living in Piura? Would it be a good retirement type place? How was the safety, cost of living, etc. Have always wondered about Piura but have never been there. Thanks

I loved it. The weather took some getting used to, but it was a small town-big city type of deal. It was the 5th biggest city, but things were still close. I could easily go home for lunch. walk to the city centre, etc. Safe, much safer than Lima. No combis, well, at least no big combis like Lima. Cost of living was pretty low.

As far as retirement, you guys are in your 20-30s? You cuold get a retirement visa provided you have pension coming from a public or private source. Savings wouldn't work like they do in Malaysia or Thailand.

I think it would be good. Though honestly, for older people, it does get quite hot, so I guess it's what' you're used to. And it's in the dessert, so dry. BUt better than Lima which pisses with rain / garua all the time and peopl ehave asthma there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: