Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tighter Regulations for Foreign Workers Announced

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Tighter Regulations for Foreign Workers Announced Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested, I came across this today:

http://saigoneer.com/vietnam-news/1604-tighter-regulations-on-foreign-workers-in-vietnam-announced
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds like a headache for many people, but HOPEFULLY it will actually improve things for those of us already working here. Employers should try to hold on to teachers more, because hiring a new one has such a lengthy process. This would mean offering more incentive to stay... higher salary, better hours, better benefits?

Maybe it's all wishful thinking.
MadRiley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VN has too many freelancers. They are all trying to undercut each other and it just isn't the lanf of opportunity it once was. Still learn to haggle and you can survive ok on a small budget.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepper!

When I began freelancing in English Language instruction here almost seven years ago, I was one thee very few English teaching freelancers in Ha Noi and, then later, Hai Phong. A coupla years back, I had mover into a nicer, second-tier city in The North and life's all right......for now!

.....still, the most recent times that I have gone back to visit friends in Ha Noi and Hai Phong, I'll meet new people and ask which centre they work for and NOW soooooo many will say say - "Oh, I freelance only"!

Cool!! So.....I'm curious and I ask them a few more questions.....

How long ago did you arrive in Viet Nam?? - "Oh, I just got off the boat two weeks ago"

How long have you been an ESL instructor? - "Oh.....I've never actually TAUGHT English before......but I have a friend who teaches English here and he/she says that it's really easy and I can get set up in no time and.........."

It's THESE sorts as well as the types who quit working for an established English Language centre to go freelance because they hear that the money is so much better (despite that a lot of those types never had to create and compose an entire lesson plan in their lives as, at the mill, they always had the Vietnamese T.A. doing it FOR them) that pretty much are creating the problems regarding the situation of too many freelancers!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: