Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a suit for a job in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasuke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Buying a suit for a job in Thailand Reply with quote

I hear that in Thailand a suit can be bought for a reasonable price. My question is:what is a reasonable price for a quality suit in Bangkok?
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a suit for a job in Thailand Reply with quote

Yasuke wrote:
I hear that in Thailand a suit can be bought for a reasonable price. My question is:what is a reasonable price for a quality suit in Bangkok?

Here is a good thread on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/12skkv/buying_a_tailor_made_suit_in_thailand_what_should/

I got a very nice suit when I went to visit, but it cost around $500, which is close to what I'd pay here in the states. Honestly the quality of the suit is mostly in the materials, and those are going to be expensive everywhere. The labor and fitting will certainly be a bit cheaper though.

If you're okay with a crappy suit then you can get by with much less (~$100)
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a suit and a jacket at a department store like Paragon or Central. I wouldn't bother with the tailors. That way at least you know you're getting something that is quality. You can't get something for nothing in Thailand. It would be better if you accepted that. You'll be less likely to get scammed.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Yasuke,

A reasonably priced suit in Bangkok should cost you at least Baht 3,000. If you are an EFL Educator you may want to pay more! Good luck!
Yasuke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the information.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you must, when you arrive in Bangkok stay at the Atlanta Hotel, then ask the head waitress at the small restaurant what tailor she recommends. She is an old snappy waitress that knows what shops are good and what shops are rip-offs. Personally my suit will come from Paragon. I would buy an Arrow brand jacket pants and shirt, nothing else. A little pricey but they are top quality.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Check out the Pratunam area there ae many Indian and Pakistani tailors around...saw some nice quality suits for as low as $50 or Baht 1600. Good luck! Smile
Aristede

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello there,

Check out the Pratunam area there ae many Indian and Pakistani tailors around...saw some nice quality suits for as low as $50 or Baht 1600. Good luck! Smile

A 1600 baht suit would suffice just fine unless you actually need to wear it. Rolling Eyes
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristede wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
Hello there,

A 1600 baht suit would suffice just fine unless you actually need to wear it. Rolling Eyes
Laughing
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of good tailors in Bangkok. Buying a suit at a department store or shop is an option if you have a average frame. For those of us who are taller or wider, a tailored suit is an awesome option. Feels great. Just stay away from any tailor who says they will make a suit in 24 hours or something or tailors who harass you to enter the shop. These are tourist traps. It should require about a week I would think and you should be in for 2-3 fittings if its a proper tailor. The tourist traps tend to all use the same workers/factory to make their suits. Its best if the shop you go to has their own factory/tailors.

The shop next to the Landmark Hotel on Sukumvit Rd is known to be good quality. The have made suits for a few American presidents and many high profile politicians and such. They dont haggle there though (plenty of return customers so no need to haggle with tourists) and the prices are a little higher than nearby shops, but they do a good professional job. I think about 10,000 baht for a bare minimum suit. Trousers are usually about 2500+ and shirts are about 1500+ at this shop. Price varies greatly depending on material as other posters have said.
Aristede

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:

The shop next to the Landmark Hotel on Sukumvit Rd is known to be good quality. The have made suits for a few American presidents and many high profile politicians and such. They dont haggle there though (plenty of return customers so no need to haggle with tourists) and the prices are a little higher than nearby shops, but they do a good professional job. I think about 10,000 baht for a bare minimum suit. Trousers are usually about 2500+ and shirts are about 1500+ at this shop. Price varies greatly depending on material as other posters have said.

I'm not sure which shop you're referring to, but the one on the ground floor or basement of Landmark itself is decent. Though I've never gotten a suit there, I have had trousers and shirts made, and been satisfied. Their prices are in line with what you listed. Compared with what I'd pay for tailored clothes in the USA, these are prices I'm quite happy with.

But as you say, tailors offering suits put together in 24 hours and sold at dirt-cheap prices are going to give you dirt-poor quality. I can't imagine anyone would seriously recommend them.
DrTongue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: I'll second Nickermann's Reply with quote

The shop in the basement of the Landmark is called Nickermann's, and I'll second Aristede on that score. I had several items made there between 2009 and 2011, mostly shirts and trousers, but also a simple suit. Can't remember the exact prices I paid, but at the time they were in line with shops of similar reputation, and I was pleased with their work. I've taken good care of everything and it has held up well over time.

For what it's worth, I did research before I went and the general consensus at that time was that they were the best option for women's clothes. However, a male colleague of mine had some shirts made there and was very happy with them. Every time I visited their shop, there seemed to be a good number of male customers, all satisfied with what they had made.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was referring to Rajawongse which is just next to the Landmark. But if the shop inside the Landmark is good as well...that is good to know.

Here is a link from CNN Travel that lists 5 recommended tailors. Rajawongse is #2

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/shop/5-best-bangkok-tailors-218990
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: