Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long did it take for pnet to schedule an interview w/you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
izilove

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: How long did it take for pnet to schedule an interview w/you Reply with quote

Hi,

I turned in my application four weeks ago and I am starting to worry as the only response I got was an acknowledgement of my application. I know they said eight weeks but does it really take that long to hear back from them? Thanks!
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can.
CEB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much if it's only been 4 weeks. If they said 8 weeks then I'd be surprised if they get back to you before then. It's a slow waiting game with them.

If you want into the NET Scheme then you'll need patience. Even if you pass the EdB interviews and get into the pool, then be prepared to wait even more when applying to schools. Hundreds of people will be applying to just a few schools so you probably won't hear a word from a lot of the schools that you apply to.

Good luck to you but landing a school is a tough task for the most qualified of teachers. It can be very disconcerting process.
izilove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEB,

Thank you for responding! I currently work in the Middle East so I have lots of patience. The reason I asked is because my documents are not complete and I do not want to do all the other required things until I am certain I have an interview. Otherwise, it will be a waste of time and money. I do not mind the waiting after the interview as I plan to go on an extended vacation.
toko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get all the required documents and send it as soon as possible. The EDB won't move you into the interview and candidate pool unless to tick all the boxes. Unfortunately, it is a waste of time and money...but the EDB and immigration are extremely bureaucratic.

Just a warning: There is currently an oversupply of teachers already in the NET scheme, and and undersupply of employers (schools). If you get an interview with the EDB, it doesn't guarentee a job. I know of some teachers that are still waiting for a school to accept them. A school usually likes someone with a year of local HK experience, even if it is out of the EDB NET scheme. Once you pass the interview, you also have a much better chance with schools if you are already here. Have a back-up plan ready, like doing a year in a tutorial school here. Very Happy

P.S. -I also came from teaching in the Middle East Shocked , and it is a much better educational atmosphere here. Laughing
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toko wrote:

P.S. -I also came from teaching in the Middle East Shocked , and it is a much better educational atmosphere here. Laughing

Jesus...Middle east must be pretty bad then....
toko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The Middle East is like a black hole, it felt like a place TEFLers go to die. (And I'm part-Arab and knew the culture, so it definitely wasn't culture shock)

But if you need money and need a kick in the rear to start appreciating life again, a year in the Mid-East is tolerable.
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toko wrote:
Quote:

The Middle East is like a black hole, it felt like a place TEFLers go to die. (And I'm part-Arab and knew the culture, so it definitely wasn't culture shock)

But if you need money and need a kick in the rear to start appreciating life again, a year in the Mid-East is tolerable.

Yep!

But the salaries are going down there, and up in HK, aren't they?

However bad HK may feel at times, it's a big improvement on Riyadh..
southerngirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there...

Did you apply for a PNET or SNET position?

A week after submitting my documents, I received an email letting me know my documents had been received and that all applicants the EDB wished to interview would be contacted within eight weeks.

I received my invitation to interview about ten days later.

All the best!!!
izilove

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toko,

Thanks for the tip on getting all my documents in.

Southerngirl,

I applied for PNET
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: