Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

did you see this video of the motorbike crash?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: did you see this video of the motorbike crash? Reply with quote

Someone linked a story in the last couple of days to a site I was not aware of. Thanks for that.

http://saigoneer.com/saigon-health/1599-video-fatal-head-on-collision-caused-by-drunk-driver

On the site, they show this video, they say it came from Thanh Nien, couldn't find it there, but here it is. Only lasts about 30 seconds. You can see this guy almost crash, then miss, then really crash. Just cannot imagine how you can keep driving when you are like this. These guys are incredible. I saw a drunk do something like this one night, right behind the guy, and he appeared to alter his course so he could crash into the pedestrian. Crazily, the pedestrian got up after a moment, the driver looked like he might have been killed though. Pedestrian had a lot of mass, not sure if that was good for her or not. Another crazy thing, a spectator came over and started screaming at the pedestrian to get up, that she was just trying to act hurt to get more money from the guy. This place is so wild.

See what you think of the crash video.

Oh, also notice the comment by the official about 80% of violations being due to drunk driving. Totally ridiculous. The death figure is possible though. But obviously, most violations are because there is no enforcement of anything significant, so young guys drive crazy, and everyone follows suit. And what is a violation? I think we all commit many every day just to maintain our spot in the flow of it all. Maybe he meant gross violations causing loss of control or something. That might be a bit more believable, but mostly, it is seems to me the craziest driving is not drunks, but young guys driving without any care for anyone esle, because there is absolutely no control. If they were drunk, they could not drive with such speed and agility, or that is my take on it. The guy in the video: clearly a drunk.
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it rather morbid that 48 people pushed the "like" option. What's next, it being shown on Vietnam's funniest home videos?
montblanc20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/foreign-woman-killed-in-vietnams-hoi-an-crash-24432.html

The worst driving for me has been highway 1a at night. I've done it four times so far between rural towns and my city. Maybe 400km total. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Absolutely avoid. Every time I'm blinded by oncoming lights. Hopefully it'll be better once it's widened. I saw one guy on the ground the last time with some guys who were stopping to help. It looked like he survived a spill. And one of my coworker's cousins died on this section by running into a car that was stopped on the side at night. And people walk and kids ride bikes at night and it is so hard to see them. At night I keep the speed at 20kmh to 30kmh anywhere I drive. Bicycle speed.

And the sketchiest driving was 1a at night going over ca pass during tet. Not trying to brag. I didn't know that the pass was there and I was trying to beat the sunset but didn't quite make it. It was just part of the loop I was taking. Buses and cars within feet going up and down right next to the sea. A nice pass though.

Sometimes I think you're not safe here no matter what mode of transportation you use. You could die crossing the road or riding a bicycle. Or die in a bus accident because your driver makes a bad decision. I still think it's crazy to see kids riding their bikes on 1a. The last time I saw an 8 year old on a bike with a 6 year old in the back. I was lucky to have some experience traveling on the roads before riding a motorbike. It's good to know how the traffic works before riding.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found it rather morbid that 48 people pushed the "like" option.

Not sure what "like" is supposed to mean, but I linked the video because I thought it was important for folks to see what it looks like to have a drunk coming at you over here. On the other hand, you see people driving the wrong way so much, it is a pretty fine line. In this case, the guy had zero need to be in the wrong lane, was almost being drawn to the oncoming traffic. Not much we can do about most of this craziness, but maybe we can learn something from it. I think if I see one like that coming at me with no need I may tend to assume he is drunk and at least try to slow down.

I think "like" could be replaced by "important to see". But it is true that the VN love to look at this kind of thing. They love to watch. I saw a guy stabbing a woman one night, repeatedly. The guys close up formed a circle, just far enough to run away if the perpetrator turned on them, but even though they could have easily gotten him from behind, no one made a move to help. Watching her get knifed was more the plan. Yeah, they probably would hit "like", even with other options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: