Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enlgish First Bali Employees: Please PM Me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord2world

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Enlgish First Bali Employees: Please PM Me! Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm moving to Bali this July, but I'm not planning on working until I move to Japan in February. Plans can change, so I was thinking of applying to English First in Bali, but I don't wish to sign a one year contract. In an older post, someone worked "under the table" for this company and wasn't expected to commit for one year.

Is this still the case? I think it might be possible if I go to the school (I know where they are) in Denpasar. This wouldn't be my main source of income since it's quite low, but paired with tutoring online, it might help if funds get low.

Terima kasih!

Becca
Voyager2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it still happens. Call in and see them. Both EF and their online teaching sibling Englishtown are co-located on Hayam Waruk.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend with a bachelor's from Australia who is arriving in Bali soon to teach at EF. I am wondering about what he is looking at as well.
Voyager2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he is looking at? Long hours, low salary - but enough to survive comfortably, friendly Balinese, low cost of living, lovely mornings and a heavy heavy workload if you do online. Without a visa, youll be doing a mix of online and face to face. Hope that helps. Regards v2
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bali and EF make the perfect combination for pulling in the backpacker/surfer 'do a bit of teaching to pay my way' type....lovely mornings dealing with the heavy workload...dreaming of hitting the beach while eating the Balinese version of Bubur Ayam or Rujak at a street side food stall everyday cos that's all they can afford. There ARE serious options for teachers in Bali-[Green School, Ghandi International...] for those who are serious....
Voyager2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only surfer types Tazz, its not just 'surfer types' you ought to resist that easy stereotype.

There are many older people whose presence here is a choice, all things considered. Further, the International Schools you write of 'for those who are serious' is a bit disingenuous, you'll need a B.Ed or B.A with a GradDipEd, a recognised teaching qualification. More than a BA.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside the stereotype lets just say that 'serious' means 'legal'-as I and others have already stated in other discussions-getting hired legitimately in Indonesia is a grey area......but people travelling to Bali [regardless of age, gender or motivation for doing so] intending to work 'under the table' as the OP stated are asking for trouble and probably deserve to find it.
BekasiWhistle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Putting aside the stereotype lets just say that 'serious' means 'legal'-as I and others have already stated in other discussions-getting hired legitimately in Indonesia is a grey area......but people travelling to Bali [regardless of age, gender or motivation for doing so] intending to work 'under the table' as the OP stated are asking for trouble and probably deserve to find it.

I don't think teachers deserve to get in trouble. These schools are often misleading. TBI lies to people that business consultant visas are "almost legal" when they are completely illegal. I know a few people who have got stung. But if your point is beware of Indonesia- hati hati in Indonesia- I agree with that. It's a cowboy industry.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being misled by cowboy employers is something to look out for-TBI for example. However, work visa's are valid for 1 year-if done legitimately they cost the employer a considerable sum, hence no employer will ever hire somebody for, say 6 months....isn't going to happen. The OP is aware of this-wants to spend some time in Bali as a 'stepping stone' before moving to Japan-working here 'illegally' or 'under the table' as stated...Indonesia isn't the country to do this. And furthermore, Bali isn't the destination in Indonesia to do this! Bali's immigration are always 'on the prowl' as it were, and if caught working illegally the OP can certainly kiss goodbye to his/her plans for Japan-the arrest + deportation order in the passport will take care of that.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Being misled by cowboy employers is something to look out for-TBI for example. However, work visa's are valid for 1 year-if done legitimately they cost the employer a considerable sum, hence no employer will ever hire somebody for, say 6 months....isn't going to happen..

I agree that people are mad to come to Indonesia and work "under the table". Deportations don't happen every day, but they are a real possibility. A few major chains have seen them happen in the past. There are a lot of corrupt officials in Indonesia (this is an understatement actually) and they can be quite predatory. You don't want to get caught up in a raid. There are now several different government departments "squeezing" schools- Manpower, Immigration and DIKNAS. If you want a short-term contract, try Cambodia or Thailand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: