Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term... Reply with quote

Hi all!

After considering all of my options and desires, I am looking very favorably at Mexico as the country i not only want to teach in, but also actually build a life and start a family. I've already been there several times (Guadalajara and a small town in the mountains of northern Jalisco) and feel that Mexico offers me what I want better than the other Latin American countries I've considered such as Colombia and Brasil.

I had some questions I was hoping you guys would indulge me on, but first here is a summary of my general life experience and qualifications:

- Over 10 years in IT, currently doing application support
- Formerly an Airline Pilot and Flight Instructor.
- Associate's Degree with some coursework completed towards Bachelors.
- Will be doing an intensive CELTA course in Mexico to gain certification before teaching/applying for jobs.
- Not that it matters, but I'm late 30's and in peak physical shape. Clean shaven but I do have long hair that I keep tied back in a ponytail most of the time.

I instructed for over a year so I'd hope I could count that as legit teaching experience when applying for jobs in Mexico. As far as the Degree goes, I will not be completing the 4-year prior to coming down. I understand there are ample opportunities for people with no degrees or experience whatsoever, but I hope that my 2-year degree plus instruction experience and the CELTA will allow me to find a decent paying gig to get started.

Once established, I WILL be finishing the 4-year via distance learning/online degree.

Also, I should have around $15k USD saved up when the time to leave comes... at the moment shooting for late September or early October of this year. Hopefully that will be more than enough to get me started. I have no debt and don't need to make enough money to eat out every day or party every night or anything like that. Aside from wanting to meet the love of my life in Mexico and start a family, the only other indulgence I have is my bodybuilding, so I would hope to make enough to allow me to have gym membership and buy all the groceries and supplements I need... lol. Smile

My questions are:

- How does Guadalajara fare with regards to teaching opportunities and quality of life? As mentioned above I've been there several times and feel drawn to it as a place to get started
- Do the CELTA schools offer any chances to network and set their students up with jobs and interviews?
- What kind of opportunities for someone with my qualifications are there in smaller non-touristy cities such as Colima, San Miguel de Allende, and others about that size?
- If I stick with teaching as a long-term career, will I make enough to support a family and live a modest, yet comfortable life? I plan on trying to figure out other ways to earn income on the side when I'm not teaching.

And finally, would taking the CELTA on the mid-November to mid-December class give me enough time to find a job for the school year starting in January? Do a lot of schools hire for January?

I appreciate your time. Thanks in advance everyone!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an OK job without a 4 year degree and if you stick with it, and are good at what you do, you can progress over time. To work at the university level or in a better paying job in a school, you will need a 4 year degree. You might find a job at a mid level private school, pay will be around 10,000 or 12,000 pesos. You could probably add a couple of private students to the mix for another 3 or 4 thousand pesos. Since you mentioned that you want to live in Mexico long term, you will want to get a job with full benefits, that is really the key to making it long term on teacher pay.

Guadalajara is not cheap, though, it is actually more expensive than Mexico City. (My parents live there, and I have lived there off and on, though not recently). It is a beautiful city, though, with lots to offer. Another thing, if you plan to stay in Mexico, instead of doing a CELTA you might want to look at a Teacher's Diploma instead. The Universidad Panamericana in Zapopan offers one, it is a very extensive course, with observed teaching, etc., just like a CELTA, but has the added benefit of being approved by the SEP (Mexican Education Secretary). In Mexico City it is a requirement to teach in pretty much any school that you have a diploma that is recognized by SEP. I thought that was becoming universal, but now that I live in Zacatecas I see it is not as wide spread as I once believed, so it might be a bit different in Guadalajara. But the course is cheaper and just as good, if not better, than a CELTA.

Living in Mexico is much like living anywhere, you start at the bottom and work your way up. If you are good at what you do you will move into other positions. There are not a lot of jobs in smaller towns. San Miguel de Allende, while not perhaps a huge tourist destination has loads of Americans and Canadians living there and there are not a lot of jobs. You might look at cities like Queretaro or Puebla, maybe Guanajuato if you want someplace that is smaller than Guadalajara, which IS very big and VERY congested. October is an OK time to go, but you won't find a job that starts before January. If you are OK living on your savings for a couple of months it might give you a chance to get set up, adapt, learn some Spanish if you don't already speak Spanish.

Groceries are less expensive than in the US, for the most part, if you shop in traditional markets instead of groceries. Ironically, the produce is generally fresher and better at the markets in addition to being cheaper. Not sure what kind of supplements you take, but there are a couple of good mail order places in Mexico, as well as GNC stores, and Puritan's Pride, a US company, mails to Mexico at a reasonable price. There are many naturopath doctors as well, so that shouldn't be a problem. Gym memberships are not very expensive and there are lots of free exercise programs as well.
LifterMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term. Reply with quote

TheGreatAdventurer wrote:

Also, I should have around $15k USD saved up when the time to leave comes... at the moment shooting for late September or early October of this year. Hopefully that will be more than enough to get me started. I have no debt and don't need to make enough money to eat out every day or party every night or anything like that. Aside from wanting to meet the love of my life in Mexico and start a family, the only other indulgence I have is my bodybuilding, so I would hope to make enough to allow me to have gym membership and buy all the groceries and supplements I need... lol. Smile

I have never taught in Mexico so I cannot address your other questions. However I have been there enough times and I can tell you that 15k is more than enough. You could last over a year on that if you were careful. Meeting women is very easy. Apparently there is a machismo culture there they tell me about, but I have not noticed it much. So treating them like a princess/putting them on a pedestal (like in the U.S.) will get you far, I can attest to that.

ALWAYS buy all your bodybuilding supplements in the U.S. and bring them over. I love bodybuilding and supps are expensive in Mexico, sometimes twice as much, but you will win when it comes to food, especially in the street market. If you avoid the big chain gyms you can find memberships for 15-20 dollars. Im leaving soon to job search myself, everyone tells me the pay is low, but I always like a good challenge.
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Guadalajara is not cheap, though, it is actually more expensive than Mexico City. (My parents live there, and I have lived there off and on, though not recently). It is a beautiful city, though, with lots to offer. Another thing, if you plan to stay in Mexico, instead of doing a CELTA you might want to look at a Teacher's Diploma instead. The Universidad Panamericana in Zapopan offers one, it is a very extensive course, with observed teaching, etc., just like a CELTA, but has the added benefit of being approved by the SEP (Mexican Education Secretary). In Mexico City it is a requirement to teach in pretty much any school that you have a diploma that is recognized by SEP. I thought that was becoming universal, but now that I live in Zacatecas I see it is not as wide spread as I once believed, so it might be a bit different in Guadalajara. But the course is cheaper and just as good, if not better, than a CELTA.

Didn't know it was more expensive... interesting! Are there a lot of decent paying jobs there that more than cover the cost of living though? It is a really beautiful city. Another reason I'm drawn to it is because I hear that it is one of the best cities in Mexico for meeting quality women with strong family values who arent the party-girl type and only want serious relationships... Cool Is the rumor true that there are significantly more women there than men?

Interesting idea about the Teacher's Diploma. However, at a glance it would appear that these courses run over a period of 4 months. Unfortunately this wouldn't work with the timetable I have in mind, since I will leave around October and want to get my training done in time to find a job for January. Plus that will give me a few extra weeks to travel around the country, check a few cities out, and decide where I'd like to throw down roots!

The CELTA is not SEP approved then? With the CELTA, Mexico City would not be an option for teaching?

Quote:
Living in Mexico is much like living anywhere, you start at the bottom and work your way up. If you are good at what you do you will move into other positions. There are not a lot of jobs in smaller towns. San Miguel de Allende, while not perhaps a huge tourist destination has loads of Americans and Canadians living there and there are not a lot of jobs. You might look at cities like Queretaro or Puebla, maybe Guanajuato if you want someplace that is smaller than Guadalajara, which IS very big and VERY congested. October is an OK time to go, but you won't find a job that starts before January. If you are OK living on your savings for a couple of months it might give you a chance to get set up, adapt, learn some Spanish if you don't already speak Spanish.

Excellent information, thank you. What do you think about Colima? I passed through there once and it seemed like a very pretty and lively city. I'll certainly check out your suggested cities as well!

I wouldn't be looking for a job that started before the new year... the October through December time period will give me lots of time to get certified and travel around Mexico to investigate a number of cities, meet some cool new people, and maybe even get into an adventure or two... Who knows, maybe even meet the future Mrs. Adventurer!!

I'd rate my mastery of Spanish as being somewhere between Intermediate and Good. I've been really busting my hump over the last couple of years to learn both Spanish and Portuguese, and am very comfortable with the languages. Once i'm in-country I think i'll pick up general fluency very quickly. Smile

Thanks for your reply Beagle!

LifterMan wrote:

I have never taught in Mexico so I cannot address your other questions. However I have been there enough times and I can tell you that 15k is more than enough. You could last over a year on that if you were careful. Meeting women is very easy. Apparently there is a machismo culture there they tell me about, but I have not noticed it much. So treating them like a princess/putting them on a pedestal (like in the U.S.) will get you far, I can attest to that.

ALWAYS buy all your bodybuilding supplements in the U.S. and bring them over. I love bodybuilding and supps are expensive in Mexico, sometimes twice as much, but you will win when it comes to food, especially in the street market. If you avoid the big chain gyms you can find memberships for 15-20 dollars. Im leaving soon to job search myself, everyone tells me the pay is low, but I always like a good challenge.

Good input, thanks Lifter! Do you use online sites for ordering supplements? Aside from basic multis/fish oil/etc my mainstays are Allmax Creapure, Hemavol, Purple Wraath, and EAS Vanilla Whey. I get THRILLED whenever i think about the food and food prices down there... I think i'll make tacos one of my daily staples. Cheap and delicious steak for the win!

My biggest concern is water consumption. When I'm seriously into my routine I drink between 1 and 2 gallons every single day. I know we're supposed to drink agua botella but how expensive would it be to consume that much every day?

Here's another interesting question guys... is it possible to build an immunity to the bacteria that causes Montezuma's Revenge? I know I'd likely have to put some time in the trenches, as it were, and make myself sick to do so. However, wanting to live in Mexico long-term (maybe even for the rest of my life due to starting a family) I would like to be able to eliminate the issue altogether, if even remotely possible.
notamiss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concern is water consumption. When I'm seriously into my routine I drink between 1 and 2 gallons every single day. I know we're supposed to drink agua botella but how expensive would it be to consume that much every day?

I pay 35 pesos for a 20-litre carboy of water. Another option if your tap water isn’t too bad, you can use that and boil it and/or sanitize it with colloidal silver drops, which are sold at every supermarket.

Here's another interesting question guys... is it possible to build an immunity to the bacteria that causes Montezuma's Revenge?

Definitely you can build resistance to some of the organisms. I experienced the proof (without trying) one time when, after 7 or 8 years here I went to a restaurant with a visiting relative and forgot that he shouldn’t drink the agua (fruit drink prepared with, as it turned out, non-sterile water). We drank the same drink from a shared pitcher. I didn’t get sick at all and he was hit badly within a couple hours. Although he got some medical care here, the infection lasted for several weeks, he still had to go to the doctor after he got back home to Canada.

But you can’t get immune to everything. It’s not just a single bacterium; it’s different bacteria, viruses and parasites. Not all of them confer immunity, Mexicans sometimes get sick, too. Not all of these infections self-resolve, either; with some of those organisms you will stay sick until and unless you get treated.

Last edited by notamiss on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting... thanks for the information notamiss!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term. Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:

Apparently there is a machismo culture there they tell me about, but I have not noticed it much. So treating them like a princess/putting them on a pedestal (like in the U.S.) will get you far, I can attest to that.

There are many reputable companies in Mexico as well, there is no need to import anything from the US, and may high postage AND import taxes. As far as a "culture of machismo" that varies from person to person and especially by age. It is an over generalization at best.

Pay may be low IF you insist on converting everything into pesos. But the cost of living in Mexico is also MUCH lower, sometimes 10 times lower on things you use everyday, so it is not as simple as saying I earn 90 pesos an hour, so that is 8 dollars. A better comparison would be to look at what you can buy with 90 pesos.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

Didn't know it was more expensive... interesting! Are there a lot of decent paying jobs there that more than cover the cost of living though? It is a really beautiful city. Another reason I'm drawn to it is because I hear that it is one of the best cities in Mexico for meeting quality women with strong family values who arent the party-girl type and only want serious relationships... Cool Is the rumor true that there are significantly more women there than men?

Interesting idea about the Teacher's Diploma. However, at a glance it would appear that these courses run over a period of 4 months. Unfortunately this wouldn't work with the timetable I have in mind, since I will leave around October and want to get my training done in time to find a job for January. Plus that will give me a few extra weeks to travel around the country, check a few cities out, and decide where I'd like to throw down roots!

The CELTA is not SEP approved then? With the CELTA, Mexico City would not be an option for teaching?

Quote:

Excellent information, thank you. What do you think about Colima? I passed through there once and it seemed like a very pretty and lively city. I'll certainly check out your suggested cities as well!

I wouldn't be looking for a job that started before the new year... the October through December time period will give me lots of time to get certified and travel around Mexico to investigate a number of cities, meet some cool new people, and maybe even get into an adventure or two... Who knows, maybe even meet the future Mrs. Adventurer!!

I'd rate my mastery of Spanish as being somewhere between Intermediate and Good. I've been really busting my hump over the last couple of years to learn both Spanish and Portuguese, and am very comfortable with the languages. Once i'm in-country I think i'll pick up general fluency very quickly. Smile

Thanks for your reply Beagle!

LifterMan wrote:

Good input, thanks Lifter! Do you use online sites for ordering supplements? Aside from basic multis/fish oil/etc my mainstays are Allmax Creapure, Hemavol, Purple Wraath, and EAS Vanilla Whey. I get THRILLED whenever i think about the food and food prices down there... I think i'll make tacos one of my daily staples. Cheap and delicious steak for the win!

Here's another interesting question guys... is it possible to build an immunity to the bacteria that causes Montezuma's Revenge? I know I'd likely have to put some time in the trenches, as it were, and make myself sick to do so. However, wanting to live in Mexico long-term (maybe even for the rest of my life due to starting a family) I would like to be able to eliminate the issue altogether, if even remotely possible.

I don't even know where to start here! First, in terms of party girls, Guadalajara has it's share, just like any other big city. It certainly did when I was college age and lived there and that was almost 20 years ago. True, it is SLIGHTLY more conservative in some ways than, say, Mexico City, but not enough that you would notice. My parents live there so I am there from time to time. Have no idea if there are hoards of women, haven't noticed that either. If you are interested in a family oriented girl you can find one anywhere, depends more on the family than the city. There are far more girls of that type in small towns, though, but that won't work for jobs.

It is NOT a given that you will get sick from drinking tap water or eating food. The reason most people drink bottled water is that most of the water is so overtreated that it tastes like crap. I drink tap water sometimes where I live now and have never gotten sick. I have also never gotten sick eating food I prepare at home, or in any restaurant in the town I live in now. I also never got sick from drinking tap water in Mexico City over a period of many years. Food poisoning happens, but it is no more likely to happen in Mexico than it is anywhere else if you are careful about what or where you eat. If you do decide you want to be cautious and boil your water you don't have to also add drops, that sounds like something out a 1950's tourist guide. Seriously, if you are going to live someplace, please educate yourself on the realities of life in Mexico in 2014 not 1960.
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Seriously, if you are going to live someplace, please educate yourself on the realities of life in Mexico in 2014 not 1960.

Well, that's why I'm here asking these questions. To educate myself before embarking on my journey.

Thank you for your input.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the factors which determines that people get sick, is whether they have already destroyed their immune system. I lived all my life in rural England before coming to Mexico City over 12 years ago, I've never been one of those people who fusses about food hygiene, I've never had any bad illnesses in my life, eat, drink and smoke what I like, not what I'm told I "should eat", and yes, I've drunk nothing but tap water - I refuse to pay twice for water! In short, if you've been obsessive all your life about food hygiene, sooner or later in your life your immune system is going to let you down, but as BBB says, that can happen in any country. For the record, I've made it to a healthy 51 years old and counting.

Last edited by Phil_K on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LifterMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term. Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

There are many reputable companies in Mexico as well, there is no need to import anything from the US, and may high postage AND import taxes. As far as a "culture of machismo" that varies from person to person and especially by age. It is an over generalization at best.

Pay may be low IF you insist on converting everything into pesos. But the cost of living in Mexico is also MUCH lower, sometimes 10 times lower on things you use everyday, so it is not as simple as saying I earn 90 pesos an hour, so that is 8 dollars. A better comparison would be to look at what you can buy with 90 pesos.

The big cities do carry the same bodybuilding supplements, but for some reason they cost so much more, such as ON Gold Standard. I just bring them on the plane. I would not order internationally online due to the increased cost.

I figured that machismo culture was exaggerated as I personally don't see much difference than the U.S. but for some reason Mexican women always mention it like it is a serious problem.
LifterMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use AllMax creatine, good stuff. Hemavol is ok, but I liked Craze until it was banned and pulled off the market. I don't use online sites because I have enough contacts on the ground, but all the main ones are good if you catch a good sale like dps, elitenutrition, bb.com, etc.

Sometimes I do question the sanitary conditions of the local meats in the street markets. I have seen slabs of meat hanging/exposed to the heat for hours in crowded areas with flies all over it. I have never gotten sick so its all good in my book.

The water is cheap, you can buy these huge jugs for a dollar or two and sometimes they will deliver them to you. I have never gotten sick from tap water but perhaps it is just a matter of rolling the dice.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term. Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:

I figured that machismo culture was exaggerated as I personally don't see much difference than the U.S. but for some reason Mexican women always mention it like it is a serious problem.

Take it from an American woman "of a certain age" who has lived in Mexico for several years and who occasionally dates Mexican men that the Mexican macho culture is (unfortunately) alive and well.
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Teacher's Diploma, it basically spans one semester of school, correct? Is the class schedule similar to a college course where you're only going to class a few hours per week, or is this an all-day five days per week intensive course for the entire duration?

Assuming it would only be a few hours per week, I suppose that would allow me a ton of free time to explore and make new friends while pursuing the diploma. I would be a little concerned about how much having to support myself for a few months might eat into my savings, but hopefully I could either rent an inexpensive room, apartment, or maybe even stay with a family and work on my Spanish! That arrangement might not work too well for meeting girls and dating though... haha. Cool

Assuming I did the course at the beginning of next year, would the timing work out good to secure an opportunity for the beginning of the following schoolyear? It begins in September, correct?

Thanks again all.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Teacher's Diploma, it basically spans one semester of school, correct? Is the class schedule similar to a college course where you're only going to class a few hours per week, or is this an all-day five days per week intensive course for the entire duration?

Assuming it would only be a few hours per week, I suppose that would allow me a ton of free time to explore and make new friends while pursuing the diploma. I would be a little concerned about how much having to support myself for a few months might eat into my savings, but hopefully I could either rent an inexpensive room, apartment, or maybe even stay with a family and work on my Spanish! That arrangement might not work too well for meeting girls and dating though... haha. Cool

Assuming I did the course at the beginning of next year, would the timing work out good to secure an opportunity for the beginning of the following schoolyear? It begins in September, correct?

Thanks again all.

It depends, there are courses of varying lengths, some where you do every little bit of coursework in the classroom and some where you have a heavy course load outside of class in terms of reading, observations, etc and less classwork. It all works out to about the same amount of time. But either way, it is not a full time intensive course like a CELTA, so, yes you would have time to do other things, maybe even get a temporary job while you do the course.

Staying with a family might be not only a good way to perfect your Spanish but also to meet girls. If the family knows you are seriously looking for a relationship with a nice girl, and they like you, they might be only too willing to introduce you to some nice girls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: