Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Housing is Ras Tanura

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonbug76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Finding Housing is Ras Tanura Reply with quote

I am supposed to be coming to Saudi Arabia within the next couple of weeks. I will be working as a contract worker for Aramco. They will most likely, probably be sending me to Ras Tanura. As I am not a direct hire, I will have to find my own housing.

How hard is it to find housing in the area? What is the average cost? I don't need anything extravagant, but I don't want to have to drive if I can avoid it. Would prefer onsite washing facilities as well. (Am I being too picky with this?) Any ideas?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to find and secure accommodation while out of the country. You'll have answers to your questions once you arrive there. Plus, your teaching colleagues will be able to point you in the right direction.
moonbug76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Finding Housing is Ras Tanura Reply with quote

moonbug76 wrote:
I am supposed to be coming to Saudi Arabia within the next couple of weeks. I will be working as a contract worker for Aramco. They will most likely, probably be sending me to Ras Tanura. As I am not a direct hire, I will have to find my own housing.

I find it unbelievable that a westerner who most likely has never been to the Middle East and most likely speaks zilch Arabic would so easily accept that he'd "have to find his own housing".

As I've said previously on this forum, and as I'll continue to say, employer provided housing, furnished, plus utilities is a sine qua non of my accepting a job in the Gulf. That's the first thing I ask about.

If housing isn't provided that confirms, in my estimation, the low level with which English teachers are regarded by an employer. It's a sign of utter contempt, if you don't mind my saying so. It sure never used to be that way.

Perhaps if more people would refuse jobs (I know it's easy to say) on this basis, this slave-trafficking practice could be changed.

It sounds like moonbug has the impression that finding housing in Ras Tanura is like finding housing in Cedar Falls, Iowa or Long Beach, CA. I do wish him luck is all I can say.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:
As I've said previously on this forum, and as I'll continue to say, employer provided housing, furnished, plus utilities is a sine qua non of my accepting a job in the Gulf. That's the first thing I ask about.

If housing isn't provided that confirms, in my estimation, the low level with which English teachers are regarded by an employer. It's a sign of utter contempt, if you don't mind my saying so. It sure never used to be that way.

Perhaps if more people would refuse jobs (I know it's easy to say) on this basis, this slave-trafficking practice could be changed.

Slave-trafficking? That's pushing it. Besides, the majority of job ads state whether accommodation is employer provided or via a housing allowance. So no need to "refuse" the position---just don't apply for the job if the benefits don't float your boat. Also, be aware some employer-provided housing may turn out to be substandard. In other words, what you get is what you get.
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Slave-trafficking? That's pushing it. Besides, the majority of job ads state whether accommodation is employer provided or via a housing allowance. So no need to "refuse" the position---just don't apply for the job if the benefits don't float your boat. Also, be aware some employer-provided housing may turn out to be substandard. In other words, what you get is what you get.

You're sort of missing my point, NS.

It's irrelevant if the job ad states that housing or housing allowance is provided. To a newcomer to the Gulf, the difference between the 2 types of housing is not apparent: most likely, as I said in my posting, he probably equates "finding your own place" in Ras Tanura with "finding you own place" in Cedar Falls.....no problem at all.

But in fact, there are huge differences not only as far as convenience but as far as legal questions, responsbilities and so on. Does a newbie really have the wherewithall and knowledge of rental practices in KSA needed before signing a lease? I doubt it - how could he? He likely won't have an iqama for weeks or a bank account whereby he can even sign a lease. A newbie isn't even aware of these details, let alone how to overcome them.

It's a deliberate attempt at undermining and weakening the newbie's position from the minute he emerges from his flight. The whole practice smells rotten.

Whatever which way you cut it, an employer or contractor not providing housing to a newbie is, in my opinion, cutting costs and placing a huge burden upon the newbie immediately upon his arrival to the point that I characterize it as, at bottom, a manifest and utter contempt of the employee. Period.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33, just because you can't hack what is actually a pretty easy thing to do in finding accommodation here, doesn't mean the rest of us can't. THe OP is looking for practical advice and reassurance having landed a job that probably has better prospects than yours. Sure, it doesn't come with accommodation, but you'd be stupid to let that stop you when it is a very easy thing to source once your in your location.

I know over a hundred teachers contracted to Aramco who have had no problem finding accommodation in Khobar, Dammam or Ras Tanura. Sure, it takes time getting out there, networking and finding things. Your first shot might not hit the mark, but you aren't taking out a mortgage and can always move on when your initial 1-3 months are paid up.

Not a single person I know has had major problems... unless you count not liking the decor...

Plenty have believed the scaremongering ignorant posters like you have spread though, and that's a shame because there's no cause to fear. As nomad points out, the teaching community are really helpful and have all that you need to get settled there.

To address your specific criticisms: at no point did I ever need Arabic when I was looking for accommodation. In RT, that might be less likely but it is certainly not likely that any decent landlord or estate agent would not speak English.

Secondly, no one signs a lease long term. If you did, you were a mug. YOu can find places that will happily take you for a month or even by the week while you find your feet. Legalities?? Do you actually live overseas? Maybe you're just holed up in Cedar Falls... wherever that is...
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at the problems this OP is having "finding" accomodations and then tell me looking for a place is just a lark. He sounds like he's scrounging around his area like a desert rat looking for a place.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=105660

Not providing housing immediately upon arrival for a newbie (or an oldie) is a total abdication of the employer/contractor's responsibility.

That's not to mention the problems he'll face "arranging" transportation to and from work. All this should be taken care of by the employer. A newbie shouldn't have to waste all kinds of time and energy "finding" a place and arranging transportation.

I repeat: dumping all this on a newbie upon arrival, regardless of how you try to pretty it up, shows the militant disrespect and contempt the contractor/employer really feels for the ESL teacher. It's so clear you can actually taste it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the OP on that thread also stated the following:
    "Frankly, my employer offered to send a Saudi agent to find an accommodation for me, but I told him I prefer to search and choose my accommodation myself. The Saudi agent's taste may not be acceptable to me. Accommodation is a personal issue for me. I like to deal with personal issues myself."
But again, this is a non-issue. If employer-provider housing is that important to you, then simply don't apply for jobs that only offer a housing allowance. By the way, several of my female friends found their flats on their own in Jeddah without any issues. If these non-Arabic speaking women can do it, then...
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
H By the way, several of my female friends found their flats on their own in Jeddah without any issues. If these non-Arabic speaking women can do it, then...

Being a "western" female especially American, in the Gulf, is like belonging to the local Royal family. You can have anything you want.

(The mistake they make is believing this is normal. Some fool themselves to the point of actually marrying a local boy.....then the nightmare begins).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:
Being a "western" female especially American, in the Gulf, is like belonging to the local Royal family. You can have anything you want.

I'm not sure why you made that assumption, but none of them are western. Rolling Eyes
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:
[/i]

oh for pity's sake, when someone actually provides evidence that what you say is false, you bend the rules!

The thread you link to actually demonstrates that the <sarcasm>HUGE NIGHTMARE</sarcasm> you make finding accommodation out to be is a load of piffle. He started the thread on the 29th of January and then on the 4th of Feb (the same year) posted

Quote:
Anyways, I found a suitable furnished apartment and I already moved.

OH MY GOSH!!! A whole 6 (SIX) days to find something suitable. You're right, no one should have to face contempt that horrendous. His employer should be taken to the International Court of Justice.

So, as far as this thread's concerned, why don't you just sling your hook mate? no one finds your info on this topic useful. It's the OP's intention to come to Saudi with a company that doesn't provide accommodation. He's not looking for advice about WHETHER to take a job with or without accommodation. He's looking for ADVICE about HOW to find accommodation. He's doing what many, many others have had no problems doing. He'll be fine... IF (and I know it's a big if) he can stomach seaching for as long as SIX WHOLE DAYS.

And no, it does not necessarily show that a company has contempt for its workers at all. Some contactors do show contempt. Others do not. My company, and the one in the thread you linked to, DO offer help with finding accommodation even though they don't provide it. They were under no obligation to provide it and I was under no obligation to sign a deal that didn't include accommodation. Both my employer and I are happy that I'm here, in my own accommodation, in Saudi.

Your opinion is not The Truth. It's just very badly informed.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: