Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Labor Laws Crippling WorkForce?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: New Labor Laws Crippling WorkForce? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I was about to return to Saudi Arabia (after two short-term teaching jobs).

My current employer just told me that since January 1st, there is a problem with employment visas. No new workers will make it until around August.

1. Do any of you know anything about this?

2. Is there any way around this? (Like business visas).

3. Any other options?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is too vague. Which employer is stating this? What's the exact reason given? You also say you were about to return to KSA, so how is it that your current employer is telling you this about KSA? Confused

As for business visit visas, they're not intended for (legal) employment purposes---lots written on that within this forum. Anyway, it's not unusual for new teachers to be brought onboard effective the next academic year, so there doesn't seem to be any issue.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this employer will follow through by saying "I have arranged a business visa for you."
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they are saying this as an excuse due to not being able to get a proper work permit. This is perhaps due to the company really being the contracting company for the school/university/learning center - i.e. not a direct hire position. Or... you could be coming over to work for a place like Wall Street School of English - a private company that has really felt the effects of the new changes that took place on Jan 1.

The top government universities has felt the ripple effect of the new changes, but they will always be able to get the proper/legal work permit and they would never bring a direct hire over on a business visa.

I agree. The first posting is too vague.

In general, only the desperate come over on a business visa.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or find themselves desperate shortly after they arrive Wink
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on.
LPKSA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Labor Laws Crippling WorkForce? Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:

2. Is there any way around this? (Like business visas).

Bag your recruiter and go with another one. I'm not an expert but it sounds shady. I was issued a temporary visa in February. A month later (two weeks after arriving) I received my Iqama. I went through many recruiters before settling with the one who brought me here. 5/6 of the recruiters were trying to get me here on a business visa, and I was being offered half of what the average salary in the field is (for someone with my qualifications).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: