Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
It depends, there are courses of varying lengths, some where you do every little bit of coursework in the classroom and some where you have a heavy course load outside of class in terms of reading, observations, etc and less classwork. It all works out to about the same amount of time. But either way, it is not a full time intensive course like a CELTA, so, yes you would have time to do other things, maybe even get a temporary job while you do the course.

Hmmm... I certainly might consider doing this instead of a CELTA then. Isn't it tough for foreigners to find non-specialized work? I've read things that lead me to believe so, but an ideal part-time or temp job would be maybe working in a gym as a personal trainer, if that's even remotely possible. I might even try to do that on the side once I'm established to hopefully add to my income.

Or did you mean a job related to ESL?

Quote:
Staying with a family might be not only a good way to perfect your Spanish but also to meet girls. If the family knows you are seriously looking for a relationship with a nice girl, and they like you, they might be only too willing to introduce you to some nice girls.

Never thought about it that way... that would be great! My first few months in-country I will want to meet as many new people and make as many new friends as I can. Half the fun of this experience will be sharing it with them, and eventually, my own new family.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first month in Mexico a man who worked in another department at my place of employment asked me if I came to Mexico to look for a husband. I was deeply offended that he'd think someone would do such a thing.

I've been married to my Mexican husband for ten years now. Laughing

In terms of staying healthy, do not overlook the importance of washing you hands. You could put nothing but the cleanest food and drink into your mouth but if you picking that tortilla up with the hand you just used to hold the metro rail or pay the cab driver then you just got a mouth full of the nasties.

I think the teacher's diploma would be a good option for you. Either that, or look into the SIT course that is given in Oaxaca and sometimes some other places around the country.

In the long term--how about blending your two skills, fitness English? Content Integrated Language Learning is all the rage.
LifterMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatAdventurer wrote:

Hmmm... I certainly might consider doing this instead of a CELTA then. Isn't it tough for foreigners to find non-specialized work? I've read things that lead me to believe so, but an ideal part-time or temp job would be maybe working in a gym as a personal trainer, if that's even remotely possible. I might even try to do that on the side once I'm established to hopefully add to my income.

Or did you mean a job related to ESL?

I have found that personal training is only well-paid in the developed countries, probably due to demand and quality control. Of course there are places in Mexico that pay well, but that would be rare, even more so than a high-paying ESL job....now thats saying something. I know corporate fitness pays well, but there is fierce competition so having a related degree/credentials will be key. I am planning on doing this also once my Spanish reaches an acceptable level but I imagine getting a visa would be difficult considering a foreigner is not required to do the job as something like teaching English.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:

I know corporate fitness pays well, but there is fierce competition so having a related degree/credentials will be key. I am planning on doing this also once my Spanish reaches an acceptable level but I imagine getting a visa would be difficult considering a foreigner is not required to do the job as something like teaching English.

Under the new immigracion laws, once you become a permanent resident, you can--in theory--work any job that will hire you. You don't need to prove you are more qualified than a Mexican. I'm not sure how much this has been tested yet. And in the future you I could imagine there being backlash in that respect.... Question
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
In my first month in Mexico a man who worked in another department at my place of employment asked me if I came to Mexico to look for a husband. I was deeply offended that he'd think someone would do such a thing.

I've been married to my Mexican husband for ten years now. Laughing

Haha.... very nice. Congrats!

On a related note, I am actually divorced. We were together for many years but got married extremely young and changed over the years. No children and parted on good terms a few years back.

I hope that unfortunate fact won't cause me any major issues dating and trying to find "the one" in Mexico. Not sure how the general population feels about that or if I will be looked down upon...

Quote:
In terms of staying healthy, do not overlook the importance of washing you hands. You could put nothing but the cleanest food and drink into your mouth but if you picking that tortilla up with the hand you just used to hold the metro rail or pay the cab driver then you just got a mouth full of the nasties.

I think the teacher's diploma would be a good option for you. Either that, or look into the SIT course that is given in Oaxaca and sometimes some other places around the country.

In the long term--how about blending your two skills, fitness English? Content Integrated Language Learning is all the rage.

Good suggestions, thank you. Is the SIT an SEP approved cert? Would that be an intensive course like the CELTA or would it span a few months part-time like the diploma?

Quote:
I have found that personal training is only well-paid in the developed countries, probably due to demand and quality control. Of course there are places in Mexico that pay well, but that would be rare, even more so than a high-paying ESL job....now thats saying something. I know corporate fitness pays well, but there is fierce competition so having a related degree/credentials will be key. I am planning on doing this also once my Spanish reaches an acceptable level but I imagine getting a visa would be difficult considering a foreigner is not required to do the job as something like teaching English.

Interesting... perhaps a better way to do it would be to do it only on the side and be in business for yourself as an independent trainer. Not be tied to any one gym or company and set up agreements with various gyms to allow training clients there (for a nominal fee I'm sure).
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant an ESL job, maybe pick up a few private students and be upfront with them about teaching them for 3 months, or 6 months, or whatever the case might be.

The best way to find the kind of girl is sounds like you are looking for is through a family - whether it is a family you are staying with, or a neighbor you might meet. It will also improve your Spanish a lot quicker than have a lot of foreigners around to help you. If your long term plan is to settle in Mexico, you might as well learn to live like a middle class Mexican from the start, and what better way than to find a family to live with. It will also be inexpensive, compared to sharing an apartment with a foreigner. You might even be able to find someone to give you lower rent in exchange for English classes.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, I am actually divorced. We were together for many years but got married extremely young and changed over the years. No children and parted on good terms a few years back.

I hope that unfortunate fact won't cause me any major issues dating and trying to find "the one" in Mexico. Not sure how the general population feels about that or if I will be looked down upon...

It might if you want to marry someone whose family is very Catholic, as you won't be allowed to marry in the church, and to some people having only a civil wedding is the same as not being married at all, or shows a lack of commitment to the marriage long term. If it comes to that you can usually get a Catholic church annulment to be able to marry in the church. As odd as it sounds, you don't have to be Catholic to do this. Some priests will marry you if you have never been married in the church in the past, though it is not strictly kosher to do this. It is not fun getting all the paperwork together to marry in the church and some people to skip it. But in Mexico, you are not just marrying your sweetheart, with a few exceptions, you are marrying the entire family, and you will need to make them happy as well
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Yes, I meant an ESL job, maybe pick up a few private students and be upfront with them about teaching them for 3 months, or 6 months, or whatever the case might be.

The best way to find the kind of girl is sounds like you are looking for is through a family - whether it is a family you are staying with, or a neighbor you might meet. It will also improve your Spanish a lot quicker than have a lot of foreigners around to help you. If your long term plan is to settle in Mexico, you might as well learn to live like a middle class Mexican from the start, and what better way than to find a family to live with. It will also be inexpensive, compared to sharing an apartment with a foreigner. You might even be able to find someone to give you lower rent in exchange for English classes.

Gotcha. What's the best way to find an actual family to stay with if you're new to the country and don't know anybody? I know with the IH CELTA course they offered this option, but it was rather pricey at 30 to 35 USD per day depending on meals.

Quote:
It might if you want to marry someone whose family is very Catholic, as you won't be allowed to marry in the church, and to some people having only a civil wedding is the same as not being married at all, or shows a lack of commitment to the marriage long term. If it comes to that you can usually get a Catholic church annulment to be able to marry in the church. As odd as it sounds, you don't have to be Catholic to do this. Some priests will marry you if you have never been married in the church in the past, though it is not strictly kosher to do this. It is not fun getting all the paperwork together to marry in the church and some people to skip it. But in Mexico, you are not just marrying your sweetheart, with a few exceptions, you are marrying the entire family, and you will need to make them happy as well

Well actually, we were only married by a judge and had no ceremony, no church, no reception. Didn't really feel like a wedding at all to be honest. Long story short, and rather ironically, she was an illegal alien from Mexico who had been in the US already when we met. We basically rushed into Marriage to change her status and had planned on doing a proper wedding ceremony and reception at a later date, but that never actually happened.

I was born Catholic but I'm more Buddhist than anything these days. I don't really have a problem if my girl and her family are though. I'd even like to have my "real" marriage done in a church and be in full Mexican tradition. I'm all for becoming a part of her family and will certainly keep their feelings in clear perspective.

Thanks for your continuing input Beagle!
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
It might if you want to marry someone whose family is very Catholic, as you won't be allowed to marry in the church, and to some people having only a civil wedding is the same as not being married at all, or shows a lack of commitment to the marriage long term.

However, some background that people unfamiliar with Mexico should know, to put this into context (because it‘s different in our home countries) is that the church wedding in Mexico has no legal validity. Religious people do the civil wedding before the church wedding – maybe the week before, a couple days before, or in the morning of the same day. Non-religious people just have the legal wedding and don’t do a church wedding.

If there’s also a church wedding, then the civil wedding is usually a quiet, family affair. If there’s no church wedding, then the civil wedding might be anything the couple decide; an equally quiet, intimate affair, to a Big White Wedding with all the traditions (except the priest and the mass). The judge will give a plática – a speech, or a sort of secular sermon.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

It might if you want to marry someone whose family is very Catholic, as you won't be allowed to marry in the church, and to some people having only a civil wedding is the same as not being married at all, or shows a lack of commitment to the marriage long term.

Ain't that the truth, I got married ten years ago and you were there and if you don't shut up about when are we going to get married sometime SOON, I don't know how much longer I can be civil. Evil or Very Mad

BadBeagleBad wrote:
If it comes to that you can usually get a Catholic church annulment to be able to marry in the church. As odd as it sounds, you don't have to be Catholic to do this. Some priests will marry you if you have never been married in the church in the past, though it is not strictly kosher to do this. It is not fun getting all the paperwork together to marry in the church and some people to skip it. But in Mexico, you are not just marrying your sweetheart, with a few exceptions, you are marrying the entire family, and you will need to make them happy as well

One of the afore alluded too family members once told me that she's located a priest that would overlook the fact I'm not catholic and have not don't any of the whoo ha ha that needs to be completed before marriage for a fee. The rest want you everyone they are marrying to go through all the steps--which incidentally all involve a fee. So the church is really all about PAYING for these services they've conviened you you need to avoid eternal damnation.
LifterMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... perhaps a better way to do it would be to do it only on the side and be in business for yourself as an independent trainer. Not be tied to any one gym or company and set up agreements with various gyms to allow training clients there (for a nominal fee I'm sure).

I was once offered a personal trainer job. The manager tells me I can expect to make the equivalency of $300-400 depending on business. I asked him if that was per week. He along with 2 other guys present started laughing. When they realized I was asking a legit question the manager says "Welcome to Mexico".

Work as a trainer for the love of it or shoot for the stars. If your going independent, target retired expats with money to blow, 5 star hotel resorts, cruise lines, holistic retreat centers, or wealthy white-Mexican yoga classes in Condesa. It can definitely be done, the challenge is trying to convince someone they should pay you 5 times more than the going rate.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. What's the best way to find an actual family to stay with if you're new to the country and don't know anybody? I know with the IH CELTA course they offered this option, but it was rather pricey at 30 to 35 USD per day depending on meals.

I was born Catholic but I'm more Buddhist than anything these days.

Well, if you were born Catholic and have the papers to prove it, you are halfway there.

In terms of a family, it is fairly common for families to rent out rooms, with, or without meals, prices can vary a lot, but you won't pay anywhere near $30 a day! You can look in Spanish language newspapers for people renting rooms, and just go check them out. A lot will depend on whether the family likes you or not as to whether they rent to you. Families with grown children often rent rooms, for the money or for the company. I rented a room in a home in Mexico City, many years ago, and it was very inexpensive. I didn't get meals, but I could use the kitchen if I wanted to to cook.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:

However, some background that people unfamiliar with Mexico should know, to put this into context (because it‘s different in our home countries) is that the church wedding in Mexico has no legal validity. Religious people do the civil wedding before the church wedding – maybe the week before, a couple days before, or in the morning of the same day. Non-religious people just have the legal wedding and don’t do a church wedding.

Thanks for adding that, haha, I was just going at it from a cultural point of view. Ironic that the wedding that has no legal validity is the one considered most important to a lot of families. In conservative Catholic circles, though, having just the civil wedding and not a church wedding is only a little better than living in sin, and can be construed as the bride somehow being defective, or not worth a church wedding, by some people (mostly older). If there is a grandmother around there WILL be a church wedding, I guarantee it!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:

Work as a trainer for the love of it or shoot for the stars. If your going independent, target retired expats with money to blow, 5 star hotel resorts, cruise lines, holistic retreat centers, or wealthy white-Mexican yoga classes in Condesa. It can definitely be done, the challenge is trying to convince someone they should pay you 5 times more than the going rate.

But it won't be fun, you likely won't enjoy it and you will be treated, most likely, as little better than a servant. I once had a private student whose father sent a car for me as the little angel didn't like to venture out of their compound, I made a LOT of money for the classes, and the kid wasn't bad, he was very motivated to speak English with NO accent. But aside from the classes he was a totally clueless, thoughtless and arrogant kid. It wasn't entirely worth it as it was very stressful, I wouldn't do it again. Not that I am likely to have the chance, haha, no one here has that kind of money, or if they do they are really, really good at hiding it.
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:
I was once offered a personal trainer job. The manager tells me I can expect to make the equivalency of $300-400 depending on business. I asked him if that was per week. He along with 2 other guys present started laughing. When they realized I was asking a legit question the manager says "Welcome to Mexico".

Haha... I'm guessing that was per month then?

Yeah it might be a good challenge, but maybe it would end up paying off. Shoot for the stars and maybe you'll at least hit the moon.

We're all gonna make it brah. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: