Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting my sights on Mexico to teach and live long-term...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Well, if you were born Catholic and have the papers to prove it, you are halfway there.

In terms of a family, it is fairly common for families to rent out rooms, with, or without meals, prices can vary a lot, but you won't pay anywhere near $30 a day! You can look in Spanish language newspapers for people renting rooms, and just go check them out. A lot will depend on whether the family likes you or not as to whether they rent to you. Families with grown children often rent rooms, for the money or for the company. I rented a room in a home in Mexico City, many years ago, and it was very inexpensive. I didn't get meals, but I could use the kitchen if I wanted to to cook.

Not sure about any papers... I was baptized as a newborn and went to Catechism as a kid but didn't take it seriously and never got confirmed. What do you mean by "halfway there"?

Sounds like a good plan. The instant I get my boots on the ground in Mexico I'll start socializing and making friends while checking out los periodicos. Hopefully an opportunity will present itself in short order. I suppose technically I *do* know some people there already... my ex has family in Guadalajara that I've spent time with in the past. But yeah... no way would that be an option. Talk about awkward LOL!

Whatever happens I'm going to have a great time. Can't wait to get this thing started! Cool
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She means that in order to get married in the Catholic church in Mexico, you have to turn in your baptism, first communion, and confirmation certificates and then you have to attend a pre-wedding class, and be confessed. But like I mentioned before I've heard of priests who will overlook that for a fee.
I also know two US catholics who have had a church wedding to Mexicans in Mexico. I think they sat down and talked to the priest rather than showing all the papers. But they were both kind of exceptional. In one case she was over 60 (her first marriage) and in the other he had previously been a catholic monk.
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like I won't be able to do it "officially" then any way you slice it. As long as I can still arrange a nice church wedding that will make my girl and her family happy, I'll be happy. Smile
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:

However, some background that people unfamiliar with Mexico should know, to put this into context (because it‘s different in our home countries) is that the church wedding in Mexico has no legal validity. Religious people do the civil wedding before the church wedding – maybe the week before, a couple days before, or in the morning of the same day. Non-religious people just have the legal wedding and don’t do a church wedding.
BadBeagleBad wrote:
Thanks for adding that, haha, I was just going at it from a cultural point of view. Ironic that the wedding that has no legal validity is the one considered most important to a lot of families. In conservative Catholic circles, though, having just the civil wedding and not a church wedding is only a little better than living in sin, and can be construed as the bride somehow being defective, or not worth a church wedding, by some people (mostly older). If there is a grandmother around there WILL be a church wedding, I guarantee it!

There is another sector of society, though, that is traditional but not conservatively religious, and doesn’t fuss so much about the timing of the church wedding. The couple saves up and has the wedding mass whenever they’re ready – they might have been together for just a few years, or their children might already be grown up. As a typical example of the former, my housekeeper had her wedding and her daughter’s presentación (blessing ceremony for a 3-year-old) in the same mass.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to several weddings/baptisims, but not necessarily because the couple was saving up! Some preists won't baptise a child who's parent's are together but not married in the church (they usually have mercy on single mothers), so the couple has to marry for the baptism to take place. And if the pregnancy was unexpected they are likely to just wait and do it all at once to save the cost of two parties.

There is also a growing sector of the population that is disenchanted with the workings of the church as an institution and may forgo the rights even though they are personally believers in the teachings of the church.

But anyways, I suggest that we let our great adventurer cross which ever bridge he decided to when and if that day ever arrives!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatAdventurer wrote:

Not sure about any papers... I was baptized as a newborn and went to Catechism as a kid but didn't take it seriously and never got confirmed. What do you mean by "halfway there"?

Whatever happens I'm going to have a great time. Can't wait to get this thing started! Cool

I mean you were at least baptized Catholic, and have, I assume, a baptismal certificate or can get one. Not being confirmed is fairly common, so depending on the priest you might have to go through those classes, or not. And that is all assuming that you are going to have a Catholic wedding. Though, from the type of girl you seem to be looking for, it seems more likely than not.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

But anyways, I suggest that we let our great adventurer cross which ever bridge he decided to when and if that day ever arrives!

Yep, but at least he is forewarned of all the possibilities.
TheGreatAdventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... thanks everyone.

I just need to take this one step at a time. There will be plenty to do to get set up when I arrive... doubt it will be as easy as "Hola! Welcome to Mexico! Here is your complimentary Bride and ESL job, enjoy your stay!" Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: