Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lose Pounds! Try the 2014 Scottish independence plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Scottish independence ctd Reply with quote

The wisdom of Hod:

How can anyone take politics seriously when you have this pettiness and shortsightedness? (Sunday 16 February)

The point is not to take this situation too seriously. (Tuesday 11 March)

Feel free to elaborate, old boy!

Like many of his compatriots, Hod is animated by a sense of Anglo-Saxon superiority, hence his disparaging comments about Scotland. He and many others overlook a basic fact: if Scotland were truly a drain on England's resources, she would have been jettisoned decades ago, because England as a nation is not motivated by altruism.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like there are some rather large chips on some rather small shoulders.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: The chips are down Reply with quote

Why do so many English people get hot and bothered over the question of an independent Scotland? Are you afraid of going it alone? Look on the bright side: if an independent Scotland fails, you'll have the last laugh.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Here Chippy Chippy Reply with quote

In keeping with your generalisations, I shall answer on behalf of the 30-40 million English that make up your 'many English people'

Yes. You're absolutely right. We, the English, must confess that we are terrified of going it alone. We are furious over the Scottish issue. We are, to use your expression, very 'hot and bothered.'

We can't sleep at night, and every time we see a care-free ginger Jock skipping gaily down the high-street our blood boils. How dare he click his heels in so sprightly a manner and with such insouciance - after all we have been through together.

We feel like a woman whose husband has left her .. for another man.

You b@stard! We hope you rot in hell!
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:
Looks to me like there are some rather large chips on some rather small shoulders.

Looking at the average Scottish waste line, it certainly is a land with plenty of large chips.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted waists!
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: English, parrot fashion Reply with quote

From the Concise Oxford English Dictionary:

Generalise: Make a general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases.
Many: a large number of.
Most: the majority of; nearly all of.

Saying "so many English people" is hardly a generalisation.

By the way, the 2011 census showed there were 53 million south Britons, not 30-40 million.
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_270487.pdf

Parrot's "ginger Jock" comment is unfortunately typical of the disparaging remarks Scottish people have had to put up with over the years. He claims to answer on behalf of his compatriots, but experience has taught me that his anti-Scottish prejudice is by no means universal south of the border.

I cannot comment on the "average Scottish waste line". Perhaps Hod should brush up on his spelling instead of "waisting" his time on Dave's.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: One for the road? Reply with quote

Let's not forget the wasted livers in Russia, Sasha! Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'There' not wasted: they've been well used : )
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Well-worn Reply with quote

That reminds me of the one about a well-spoken English lady who asks a Scotsman, "Tell me, my good man, what is worn under the kilt?" He replies
"Madam, nothing is worn under the kilt; it's all in perfect working order!" Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chestnut alert!!! Old hoary ones!! Very Happy
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Oldies but goodies Reply with quote

Hoary smoke, Batman!
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
PC Parrot wrote:

Looking at the average Scottish waste line, it certainly is a land with plenty of large chips.

My iPhone wanted me to correct the spelling, but it sounded so much better like it was. If my students are reading, don't worry about my awful spelling; just stay off the deep fried Mars bars.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Pedantry corner Reply with quote

I think you mean deep-hyphen-fried. Wink
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says "deep fried" at my local chip shop. Hyphens don't belong everywhere, you know. I bet if I have my third ever trip to Scotland, I'd see and enjoy a few deep fried Mars bars.

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/deep-fried-mars-bars-43463
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: