Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shooting Incident -SDT Riyadh 12/3/14
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LPKSA,

So, I guess you'd be OK with justice being served back home (whatever that might be) by execution for anyone who wounds (but doesn't kill) another.

Regards,
John
LPKSA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear LPKSA,

So, I guess you'd be OK with justice being served back home (whatever that might be) by execution for anyone who wounds (but doesn't kill) another.

Regards,
John

For someone who wounds someone else, with intent to kill them, yes. It's better than watching them go back into society, a free man, because they could afford an attorney who was willing to put a spin on the story for his benefit. We don't need people like that in society. Unless you've had someone try to kill you, or someone you love, for no reason, you wouldn't understand.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LPKSA,

"Unless you've had someone try to kill you, or someone you love, for no reason, you wouldn't understand."

Well, here's the problem. I'm a former Marine, 1963 - 1967. and served in Vietnam in 1965 - 1966. A good number of people tried to kill me there, and I killed a few of them

But I still don't understand.

So, what "society" do you call home. Hope it's not mine.

Regards,
John
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

and I killed a few of them

Regards,
John

It's a real shame that you write that in such a flippant manner.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet you seem to be unconcerned about the other poster who thinks that even attempted murderers should be executed.

Odd...

VS
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Are you addressing me? And who is this "other poster"? Why are the comments so impersonal on here sometimes?

Anyway, I was only concerning myself with the poster who has blood on his hands and uses that fact to write smug little comments on the internet.
Can you guess who I'm referring to?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Shooting Incident -SDT Riyadh 12/3/14 Reply with quote

LPKSA wrote:

Why become a part of a particular aspect of a system that is botched and bungled?

If I were that teacher, in ICU because a disgruntled student shot me, I would want nothing more than swift justice for him. Sick of seeing people think they can simply do what they want because they feel entitled, have money, are spoiled. The man is trying to make his way through life, trying to make a living, and his student tried to kill him. I wouldn't be surprised if his student IS spoiled, thinking he can get whatever he wants just because he has money. Make an example out of him.[/quote]

I agree with you as far as the justice aspect, but a very long stint in jail is in fact justice.
LPKSA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear LPKSA,

"Unless you've had someone try to kill you, or someone you love, for no reason, you wouldn't understand."

Well, here's the problem. I'm a former Marine, 1963 - 1967. and served in Vietnam in 1965 - 1966. A good number of people tried to kill me there, and I killed a few of them

But I still don't understand.

So, what "society" do you call home. Hope it's not mine.

Regards,
John

Once a marine, always a marine... so I'm now supposed to keep that in mind, with a bit of "thank you for your service" as well? You killed people, against your will. People tried to kill you. Don't take your frustration out on me. Take it out on your government who forced you to go there, unless you volunteered to go there yourself (they weren't drafting people in 63 if I'm not mistaken, so you voluntarily signed up with the intention to kill, didn't you?).

My parents are both Vietnam Vets. My dad was drafted, my Mother volunteered. They met during the war. I am a derivative of the cold war.

What does this all have to do with my post? I live by the motto "eye for an eye." You try to kill me or someone close to me, I want nothing but swift justice for you. I kind of like the deterrence bit of the justice system here. Mess with someone, prepare to lose a finger, a hand, or your head.

I left my society because it was just too violent. I was assaulted two weeks before leaving to come here, actually it was the day I resigned from my job. I feel a lot safer here. So have fun in your society which prides itself on violence and rugged individualism under manipulation of the 2nd amendment. Get some proper gun control USA, for ****s sake.
mashkif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPKSA wrote:
...So have fun in your society which prides itself on violence and rugged individualism under manipulation of the 2nd amendment. Get some proper gun control USA, for ****s sake.

In the aftermath of the Second World War as well as the Korean and Viet Nam wars, America was awash with all kinds of weapons. (To say nothing of the postbellum period!) Yet, we had zero Columbine-style shootups. So, guns are not the problem. What's more, if our government really IS as corrupt as all that - according to you -, then I'd rather not have a disarmed populace.

What has caused increased violence is aggression, brought on by a sense of entitlement, which in turn owes to a rapid erosion of traditional values. The society has changed inexorably beginning with the Civil Rights era, to the point that everyone has rights, everyone can do whatever they want (within the law), and no judgment is passed for lifestyle choices. There is nothing wrong with that; on the contrary. However, it happened extremely quickly and left a vacuum where traditional values once were. If people learned to accept the obligations they had toward one another, simultaneously to accruing increased rights, America would not be as broken as it is today.
LPKSA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mashkif wrote:
if our government really IS as corrupt as all that - according to you

When did I say our government is corrupt? I said the society is violent. Gun control does not equal a disarmed populace, take Australia for example.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LPKSA,

"Don't take your frustration out on me."

Frustrations? I'm not at all frustrated. But you certainly sound as though you are - frustrated, irritable, scared, and very immature.

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree John... and this one obviously hasn't read the thread and picks comments out of context and posts without thought... and then complains of "impersonality'?

damn_my_eyes wrote:
^ Are you addressing me? And who is this "other poster"? Why are the comments so impersonal on here sometimes?

Anyway, I was only concerning myself with the poster who has blood on his hands and uses that fact to write smug little comments on the internet.
Can you guess who I'm referring to?

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: