Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

supporting a wife and child?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorkty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: supporting a wife and child? Reply with quote

Okay, I have asked this question in the Russia forum and hit a wall so I will open myself up to everyone and see if I can find a solution. I have a wife and young child (2 years old) and I want to go abroad, earn my CELTA and teach English. I do not currently have a bachelor's degree (in German language), but I will in Spring '15. I would like to begin teaching beforehand though and because I study online location is not an issue.

My question is: what countries, if any, can one support a wife and child on a teacher's salary? My wife would prefer to stay out of Asia, but I will take any and all recommendations. South America or Eastern Europe? Daycare and schooling won't be an issue because my son is still young. We live very modestly; we cook at home, don't go out much, don't need luxuries or American living standards, etc. Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks for all your help!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pool of jobs for those who lack a BA is shrinking. Plus, even if an employer doesn't require a degree, the country's visa regulations for legal employment could. Therefore, your biggest obstacle will be to get legit work. If by some stroke of luck you do land a job, your second challenge will be supporting a family of three on a salary that's meager because again, you lack a degree.

You didn't state the reason for your rush to head overseas before completing your BA, but seriously, finish your degree, get a CELTA, and then look for work.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: supporting a wife and child? Reply with quote

yorkty wrote:
Okay, I have asked this question in the Russia forum and hit a wall so I will open myself up to everyone and see if I can find a solution. I have a wife and young child (2 years old) and I want to go abroad, earn my CELTA and teach English. I do not currently have a bachelor's degree (in German language), but I will in Spring '15. I would like to begin teaching beforehand though and because I study online location is not an issue.

My question is: what countries, if any, can one support a wife and child on a teacher's salary? My wife would prefer to stay out of Asia, but I will take any and all recommendations. South America or Eastern Europe? Daycare and schooling won't be an issue because my son is still young. We live very modestly; we cook at home, don't go out much, don't need luxuries or American living standards, etc. Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks for all your help!

I would be very hard in South America with language school work. Anyway to add state teacher certification to your BA? That would allow you to teach subjects (in English) or elementary if so certified at international school. You could support a wife and one child on that salary. Also you should be aware that in some countries mandatory schooling starts at 3 so you are don't have as much time before he starts school as you might think.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: supporting a wife and child? Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Anyway to add state teacher certification to your BA? That would allow you to teach subjects (in English) or elementary if so certified at international school. You could support a wife and one child on that salary.

However, the OP is inquiring about where he can work and support a family without a degree. He wants to do this soon while continuing to study for his BA via online.
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: supporting a wife and child? Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Anyway to add state teacher certification to your BA? That would allow you to teach subjects (in English) or elementary if so certified at international school. You could support a wife and one child on that salary.

The OP said he will have a degree in German language. If he "add[ed] state teacher certification to [his] BA", wouldn't that mean he would be certified to teach German? Is there much demand at international schools in South America for German? Surely they wouldn't let him teach any subject just because he is certified to teach German, right?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of degree/CELTA, teacher salaries in Central/Eastern Europe at the entry level are barely enough to support a single person, much less a non-working spouse and child.
Getting started here also requires a fair amount of money up front: jobs are not normally found from abroad - you need to be here (at the end of August/first of September, ideally) to find something, you need to have enough to pay deposits and etc for housing, and the best case scenario is receiving a first paycheck in October. Most single teachers usually break about even at the end of the first year.
The only situation I can imagine working at all is in some very rural school that will provide accommodation and possibly food subsidies - these jobs exist but are fairly rare, and the experience tends to be socially Spartan as well - these are normally places with little opportunity for friends/cultural events/etc.
yorkty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the comments. I understand that it's asking a lot and it seems like a long shot at best.

I have considered German teaching certification, but that would probably just keep me working in the US and I'm wanting to get out and explore.

As far as why I want to go now, before I finish my degree? Largely a matter of being impatient. But I also just quit a relatively good paying job, have some money saved up, and thought this would be a good chance to experience teaching English to see if it is something I would like to pursue upon graduation.

I am certainly open to teaching in rural schools. I won't shy away from Siberia. This first year is really just a test-run and a way to get some experience. I won't mind roughing it to support my family.

But to move on: Assuming I have a B.A. and CELTA, is it possible to support a wife and child teaching English? If possible, where in the world should I focus my efforts? Is this a viable career for someone who wants to travel and teach with a wife and child in tow?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yorkty wrote:
As far as why I want to go now, before I finish my degree? Largely a matter of being impatient. But I also just quit a relatively good paying job, have some money saved up, and thought this would be a good chance to experience teaching English to see if it is something I would like to pursue upon graduation.

Assuming I have a B.A. and CELTA, is it possible to support a wife and child teaching English? If possible, where in the world should I focus my efforts? Is this a viable career for someone who wants to travel and teach with a wife and child in tow?

Spiral already addressed the teaching situation in Central and Eastern Europe. The Middle East is off the list for a first timer with zero experience and an unrelated BA. (A TEFL-related MA + several years of experience is the standard for the better-paying positions.) That seems to leave Asia and South America as possible destinations based on your minimal qualifications. I suggest you take a look at the forum threads for those regions.

Frankly, if you want to test the waters before deciding if TEFL is something you'd want to pursue as a career, consider volunteering as a teacher assistant or in-class tutor at one of your local non-profit refugee/ESL literacy organizations. It's a lot cheaper than heading overseas with a family to support.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Frankly, if you want to test the waters before deciding if TEFL is something you'd want to pursue as a career, consider volunteering as a teacher assistant or in-class tutor at one of your local non-profit refugee/ESL literacy organizations. It's a lot cheaper than heading overseas with a family to support.

And if what you really really want is to head overseas with your family, maybe you should stop by and talk to your local navy recruiter? That might even get you to Germany. (where TEFL is not likely to get you)
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yorkty wrote:
I have considered German teaching certification, but that would probably just keep me working in the US and I'm wanting to get out and explore.

Do you plan to live abroad, teaching English for the rest of your life? Do you intend to return to the US at any point? If you plan to return, getting teacher certification might help you in the future. German isn't exactly a high-need subject in schools nowadays, but it might give you more options than just a German degree. Just something to think about.

Quote:

If you go abroad to teach now, the kinds of places you'll be working will likely not offer very good conditions (they will be hiring you because they can't get someone who does have a degree to work there). Once you graduate, you'll likely be looking to quit and move somewhere else anyway.

Quote:
But to move on: Assuming I have a B.A. and CELTA, is it possible to support a wife and child teaching English? If possible, where in the world should I focus my efforts? Is this a viable career for someone who wants to travel and teach with a wife and child in tow?
First, I'm curious what you mean by "travel and teach". Do you intend to move around to many different places? That would probably be difficult to do with a (non-working?) wife and small child.

Japan might be possible, but not ideal. If you live in someplace more rural (i.e., cheaper COL), you might be able to make an entry-level salary (around $2,200-$2,500/month) stretch enough to break even. Japan is a pretty competitive market right now, though. If your wife takes care of your child, you'd be OK for a couple years. International schools in Japan are expensive -- about $15,000-$25,000/year, so that wouldn't be an option.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but you're not looking too good. The best thing to do is to get certified to teach in your home country and get into int'l schools. Seriously. The standard of living for you and your family will be night and day. I dare say it would be irresponsible to put a two year old in a situation where you might not be able to provide "adequate" health care, etc. In a few years, they will need to get into a school. You won't be able to afford it on an ESL'ers salary.

Bite the bullet and get a teaching cert. You'll be much happier for it in the long run.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm wrote:
The best thing to do is to get certified to teach in your home country and get into int'l schools. Seriously. The standard of living for you and your family will be night and day. I dare say it would be irresponsible to put a two year old in a situation where you might not be able to provide "adequate" health care, etc. In a few years, they will need to get into a school. You won't be able to afford it on an ESL'ers salary.

I agree with you about it being difficult to support a family on an entry-level EFL teacher's salary. However, it's likely to be just as tough for the OP to find work in international schools as a German language teacher, which is what he'd be certified to teach.

Frankly, I think he should chuck the whole idea of TEFL and go for an MA in Translation. That will open up plenty of job opportunities for him abroad. Plus, he'd get to use and not lose his German language skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: