Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach To Travel And Echo English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Teach To Travel And Echo English Reply with quote

Have you people any idea what it would be like to work for Teach To Travel, or Echo English? I have just applied to work with them, and I wonder if I would get cheated. I am considering a 6 month stint. How would I go about applying for jobs if I wasn't using a recruiter?

I don't want a place which is too rural.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Teach To Travel and Echo English are simply Thai government school recruiters. They offer the standard Baht 30,000 per month package to teach here at a government school and you are likely to be posted somewhere in Isaan Land at a rural location or even out in the sticks! My advice is checkout ajarn.com for teaching jobs or simply buy an air ticket and come to the LOS and look for a job once here the ground. Good luck! Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Teach To Travel And Echo English Reply with quote

JRJohn wrote:

I don't want a place which is too rural.

Not a problem, Bangkok has most of the employers anyway. If Teach to Travel scams you just stop going and find another job. The vast number of teachers in Thailand are teaching without a permit and I have never seen someone arrested for teaching without a permit or ever heard of it before.
In Bangkok you're pay should be 30,000 Baht especially if you have a degree and can teach Laughing. Compare that salary with what Teach to Travel or Echo is offering you.
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Teach To Travel And Echo English Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
In Bangkok you're pay should be 30,000 Baht especially if you have a degree and can teach Laughing. Compare that salary with what Teach to Travel or Echo is offering you.

Well in a purely financial regard I think Echo and TtT would both win. They guarantee 30,000 Baht/month which goes a LOT further in a rural area than in BKK.

However you still have to consider that you gotta deal with all the (possible) BS from a recruitment agency and living in the sticks.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: In The Sticks Reply with quote

Living in the sticks might be an issue for me. Some people LOVE the countryside. They can't fathom out why I would like Seoul or Bangkok or Tokyo or Osaka. A smaller city might be okay for me, but if it's friendly enough. I need to communicate. Some smaller places are full of family people who speak to their families, and even if I spoke the language I would not be a relative! I want to avoid this.

One of the agencies I mentioned stated that it might not be able to guarantee me a 6 month placement. As in, you will do your orientation with us, but you may or may not have to wait a while before the job starts.

That sounds odd.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

If you go the placement or recruiting agency route to look for work here in the LOS you will not get want you want. You could be sent anywhere...if you want to live in Bangkok it's up to you but you will not save any money on a Baht t30,000/Monthly salary. Chiang Mai is an alternative to living in the Big Mango but it is not cheap. Good luck on your decision! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the agencies I mentioned stated that it might not be able to guarantee me a 6 month placement. As in, you will do your orientation with us, but you may or may not have to wait a while before the job starts.

That sounds odd.

Its an agency friendly market right now. Many agencies have more teachers than they have positions. I guess due to no job opportunities back home? Anyways, while in the past most agencies would take any breathing body if they had to, now they can be a little pickier. It might have been their way of saying if you are a problem, you may not have a job. IMO, perfectly within their rights as a company unless you already have a contract and "the problem" does not violate that contract. That or the school had not signed the contract with the agency yet ....Just a guesses though.

Quote:
Not a problem, Bangkok has most of the employers anyway. If Teach to Travel scams you just stop going and find another job. The vast number of teachers in Thailand are teaching without a permit and I have never seen someone arrested for teaching without a permit or ever heard of it before.

This is not so true anymore. Most public schools will supply you with a Non-B Visa and work permit these days. Language schools are a different matter. Either way, you are pretty safe working without a work permit in most cases.

In Bangkok , you can better than the min 30,000/month. I know many teachers working with agencies making 35,000-40,000/month. Even outside Bangkok, you should be making more (not much though) than 30,000/month if you have any experience. UP to 35,000/month at gov schools. Possibly more at an EP program. Better agencies will provide accomm as well. Usually pretty basic, but a free roof and a bed none the less.

Quote:
They guarantee 30,000 Baht/month which goes a LOT further in a rural area than in BKK.

Once again, the cost of living comparison is a bit of a myth. The difference being the availability of things to spend your money on. IN Bangkok, Chiang Mai or other touristy areas, if living frugally you will be constantly barraged with food, transport, entertainment, etc options that will drain your wallet. You may save (do nothing but read, travel locally, and eat at the same 2 restaurants) for weeks in a rural setting, but (IME) most will start to feel the urge to get out and head to Bangkok or other big city for the weekend and open up your wallet to all that is available anyways.

Truth is, if you can avoid the temptations of the city (food, drink, entertainment, etc.), you can save money in Bangkok as well. Although, IMO it's a pathetic life. Basically it is easier to live poor when most others around you are living the same. If you are poor in the big city, you will constantly feel like you are missing out on everything.

Quote:
If you go the placement or recruiting agency route to look for work here in the LOS you will not get want you want. You could be sent anywhere.

Not always true. Learn how to talk with people effectively and you will find doors open up. If you have something to offer and/or can talk politely you may be able to get first dibs on an agency's pool of positions. It also helps if you are not going through a TEFL school guaranteed job program.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:

Truth is, if you can avoid the temptations of the city (food, drink, entertainment, etc.), you can save money in Bangkok as well. Although, IMO it's a pathetic life. Basically it is easier to live poor when most others around you are living the same. If you are poor in the big city, you will constantly feel like you are missing out on everything.

Excellent point, and one that applies everywhere, even in the U. States.
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Teach To Travel And Echo English Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:

The vast number of teachers in Thailand are teaching without a permit.

Is it really that bad?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: