Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English for medical purposes in KSA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunshinelife

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Teaching English for medical purposes in KSA? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Ive been reading through the forums a while and also thinking about a work sojourn in the KSA in the future at some time. I have a couple of questions.

Does an english for medical purposes (EMP) course exist in in the KSA? Where?

Looking around on the forums I came across King Saud bin AbdulAziz for Health Sciences in Jeddah. I'm not sure if this university teaches to medical students or even if it is a good place to work. I saw some mixed comments about what it is like to work there. Accommodation and so forth. I have no experience in teaching EMP but would like to gain some of that as it relates to my undergrad. Plus doctors and doctor students are great to teach. Is there any university that does this?

Cheers
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most national universities around the Gulf have a medical department. You need to expand your search outside Saudi. For instance, Kuwait University and Sultan Qaboos University in Oman both had medical faculties where I taught English to the pre-meds. Both Kuwait and Oman also have departments and/or private colleges that teach nurses, pharmacists, and other related medical fields.

That said, few of the places hire separately for these areas. The EFL staff in the Foundations area cover these courses. These students need general English the same as all incoming students in the Gulf, and it isn't difficult to expand into medical terminology.

You are correct that they are usually great students to teach. The only real issue can be that their English is not as "superior" as they think it is. Cool

VS
Richard62

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arabian Gulf University in Bahrain is currently looking for instructors to teach medical English. Check the IATEFL jobs market.
Sunshinelife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'll look at the places you suggested in more detail. This is a move I'll make in the future so I have some time to do more research.

Cheers
LPKSA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at their location in Riyadh. It's good. All of my colleagues, even ones who have been here in the Kingdom for years, they all tell me that it's good as well. Living accommodations to work hours are great. You can't go wrong with them. There are better jobs in KSA for sure, but this is definitely not the worst.

I am not teaching EMP.

The students you will teach, should you come here, are in there preparatory years for their intended college of medical study. They are some of the best students I have ever taught. In order for them to be accepted, they need to score above the 94th percentile in their entrance exams.

From what my colleagues are telling me, whom have been here for a long time in KSA and have worked many other jobs, this really is a sweet gig. I hope that helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Last edited by LPKSA on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPKSA wrote:
I work at their location in Riyadh. ...

Whose location in Riyadh??

VS
LPKSA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
LPKSA wrote:
I work at their location in Riyadh. ...

Whose location in Riyadh??

VS

As mentioned in the OP, King Saud bin AbdulAziz for Health Sciences in Jeddah. I am at their location in Riyadh.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been three other employers mentioned in various countries on two other posts, so it is always good to be clear for newbies to the board. Not to mention when I first read your message, I thought... AGU has a branch in Riyadh? Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: