Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What color board marker do you use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: What color board marker do you use? Reply with quote

So vexing, perplexing, yet this question seems to dog even the most seasoned ELT practitioner.
Black is easiest to see but hardest to erase and makes a mess. They always seem to go missing.
Blue is hard to see and schools seem to favor this for reasons I know not .
Red is loved by locals but gets on my nerves. Has a high scribble factor.
Which board marker do you use?
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black seems to be the one that goes bad the fastest, especially of the But Bang Trang WB-03 brand that is standard-issue at most places. Seems like just a couple classes and BAM, it's gone. Even if I'm the only one using it!!!

Actually, I think a fresh blue is quite good and bold, likewise for a red, which never seems to lose it's shine.

IN any case, I recommend going away from the But Bang Trang ones. I always am using different colors to highlight grammar points, so I bought some double sided markers, model WB-012. Black/Blue and Red/Blue is amazing and it all wipes off nicely too.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them all. Like Rusty, I will use a different color to highlight different words or grammar points.

If you work out a color scheme and use it constantly, eventually all your students will work it out, and it will save a lot of time on explaining things.
TRH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What color board marker do you use? Reply with quote

8balldeluxe wrote:
Blue is hard to see and schools seem to favor this for reasons I know not.
Ever notice that Vietnamese universally prefer blue ballpoint pens as well. I can only once recall seeing one use a black pen unless I handed it to them. This overwhelming preference seems doubly odd in a culture that wants to photocopy everything, as blue does not copy well. Conversely, I have seen government documents from the US with instructions that demand black ink specifically because the document will be copied. I think this ball pen preference ties to the marker preference but it still does not explain the root cause.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: