Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was offered a job through ICEAT. How is this contract?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the last poster. First, I'm sorry that you are going through all of the things you wrote about. Second, I wanted to point out a slight problem with your sound advice about getting "everything you have agreed signed in the blood of your contract well in advance of your travel to KSA".

The main problem with that advice is the signing of the real contract and the timing involved. At most places, you will get sent (via email) an offer letter that only lists the basics. This acts as official proof that you have an “employment agreement” with a school/university/company. This is enough to start the visa process along with your new job sending the embassy a visa block number, which really does make everything official. This process happens only if the place will be getting you an Iqaama and not a business visa. You will not sign the REAL contract until you have already landed in KSA. Some scumbag companies will send teachers a "contract looking" form just to shut up certain teachers who demand a contract. Once they land, they will be rushed into the HR office where they will sign the real contract.

In matters like this, teachers only have the power before the real contract is signed at HR. You have to be 100% prepared to get in a taxi, go to the airport that same day, and pay for your own flight back home.

Unfortunately, many teachers have been out of work waiting for the visa with limited funds. Who wants to go through all this BS again? That’s what the place is betting you will be thinking about and back down. They will call your bluff. Just don't bluff.

During my first time in the UAE, my new boss was trying to change many, many things in my fake contract that I was sent (and signed) before getting on the plane. I told him that I am a man of my word and I expect the university I work for to act the same. They said to sign the new contract, or they would not be able to employee me. They called my bluff, which wasn't a bluff. I took a taxi to the airport and flew back to Atlanta. I was professional about it and treated the experience as “part of doing business”. I must admit that I did enjoy the look on the everyone's face as I got in the taxi with my bags. I knew they really didn't care, but maybe if enough of us fight for what is fair and right, this might happen less.

During my first time in KSA, something similar happened again and I told them that I was prepared to go home and they said that I would have to pay for the flight myself. They will always say the part about flying back on your own as a way to scare you into signing the new contract. I said, "No problem. May I please use your phone to call a taxi?". I got everything that was listed in the first contract. This only works if you don't bluff and do what you say you will do. Get in the taxi. Wink Fight the power! Very Happy Shocked Laughing

Last edited by lcanupp1964 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Betrayer of Hope

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that it is the Arabic portion of the contract that is binding according to Saudi law. A typical employment contract for teachers heading to Saudi would be written in both English and Arabic. Your contract could potentially state unimaginable perks on the English portion of the contract, but it may not be included in the Arabic portion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: