Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the market like in Spain just now?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Am I mad to conside opening a language school in Spain?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Yes, barking mad!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, go for it!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: What's the market like in Spain just now? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking of using my hard-earned ME cash to set up a language school in Spain later this year. I'de be grateful for any pointers as to the current state of the market and if there are any particularly good spots to be. The poll is just for fun (but may be interesting!)
GKD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in Spain a couple of years. I think now is, in theory, a good time to open a school. But it depends on where, when, and what kind of student.

People seem to build contacts first --- over the course of several years --- and then open a school.

What cities are you thinking about? Also, you need to think about how much money you can invest, what legal stuff you need to do, and who you will employ.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ideally like to open up in Tenerife where I have friends and contacts but don't think there's a huge market there. I'm inclined towards focusing on Business/tourism Englsh but most of the schools seem to rely on young learners.

I would only employ native speakers with European passports because of the hassle employing others.

Actually I would be interested to learn more about the legal requirements if anybody has any input. After nearly five years in the Gulf financing a new school is not a major problem.
amisexy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening a school with no recent knowledge, few contacts and no current students is a very risky proposition.

As has been said, it is more normal to get your own students as a private teacher, have many contacts and know people in the area, and then setup a school.

Ideally you would have quite a few students and knowledge of good, local native speakers who you could hire.

Although, the EFL market in Spain isn't doing too badly at the moment. In fact it's going very well considering the state of the economy. But student turnover, especially in adult groups, is very high. This is something to consider.

Tenerife is a nice place for a holiday, although it is quite poor (in Spanish terms) and the unemployment rate there is very high. Also, the pool of students is relatively small.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it without inside knowledge an experience of the market and a local (Spanish) partner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: