Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reliable English School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneonta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reliable English School Reply with quote

I just want to inform those who consider working at RES, or the "Reliable English School."

There are positive and negatives.

Pros:

Wage is higher and paid weekly

Cons:

1. You have to email your lesson plan to the owner/director 3 hours before every class. If you don't have a printer this means you will make 2 lesson plans. If you have a morning class that starts at 8 am email the lesson plan by 5 am or the night before.

2. Unorganized: you enter the school and you're ready to go to your class and you are told "oh, today is the last day for this class. Give them a final exam." End dates for classes help and would be a good idea.

3. Lack of communication. Many teachers have hours AND classes disappear. No reason is given at all. If there are complaints we are told about this, but why do classes change hands and disappear constantly?

4. Dishonest marketing to prospective students: prospective students can attend the first class and if they are unsatisfied they receive a full 100% refund on their tuition. But Mrs. Hai Yen has the best teachers teach the first class and then has a replacement of weaker teachers do the second class and rest of the course. this is dishonest.

5. Micromanagement: the owner needs to hire a consultant and/or a DOS as she has never taught a class in her life.

6. Feedback: how is feedback given to teachers? You receive a text message at 10:30 pm at night that is very long commanding you to "do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that."

7. New rules are communicated to you via text message. Follow these new rules or you will be fined by having your pay docked when you go to pick up your salary.

RES is busy - for now.
BenE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RES certainly has grown very quickly over the last year or so. They have a reputation for paying over 35 USD an hour. I've heard some ppl really like the place tho and some of the 'golden teachers' get up to 50 USD. As an IELTS examiner I expect you'd be gold dust for them if you're also a popular teacher. I've also heard from ppl who have left there quite quickly due to being 'unpopular' I haven't tried working there myself.
Kawika

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for RES hcmc or Hanoi or both?

A vn friend said RES hcmc had good online marketing but heard mixed reviews about quality from students...

[/quote]
Oneonta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawika wrote:
Is this for RES hcmc or Hanoi or both?

I am working for RES Hanoi.

I know 1 person who was in the RES Hanoi school and went down south to teach in Saigon.

I can only speak for RES Hanoi.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RES is pretty solid at the moment but one thing I've noticed and thought about is that for a school to pay such a high wage, why is there constant turnover?

RES is always hiring.

I've never worked there but colleagues and friends have. Not a lot of stability and you can be "popular" as BenE says and the you can quickly become "unpopular."

I've heard about the one-person-in-charge micro-management also.
Jasminye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Res - Hanoi Reply with quote

I would like to ask if RES is still the same? What are the conditions and does every teacher needs to teach IELTS? Thank you
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Res - Hanoi Reply with quote

Jasminye wrote:
I would like to ask if RES is still the same? What are the conditions and does every teacher needs to teach IELTS? Thank you

Staff room the size of a closet

Can only get photocopies if you email admin

Hours are cut with no explanation and then you are busy again

RES is the last stop on the road for long-termers who need to save money to leave. It does not get better than RES but it does not get worse.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $50 per hour I could put up with almost anything...

To me, this sounds like one of those situations where teachers don't understand what a good situation they have until they have to start looking for other work. Once you see the pay rate at the rest of these schools, you'll be wishing you had thicker skin and more patience with RES.
H5N1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
For $50 per hour I could put up with almost anything...

To me, this sounds like one of those situations where teachers don't understand what a good situation they have until they have to start looking for other work. Once you see the pay rate at the rest of these schools, you'll be wishing you had thicker skin and more patience with RES.

Nobody makes $50.

Trust me.

I know.
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that you have to take a grammar test at RES to get a job there?
piglet44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would that be a bad thing if you purport to be a teacher of Eng. Lang?
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:

piglet,

Who are you asking?
piglet44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking EFL4Life why he/she would be concerned about a grammar test...
TRH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps efl4life is questioning whether a grammar test is indicative of who makes the best teacher.

There are twelve or thirteen tenses in English, depending on whether you consider the "going to" construct a distinct tense from the "will" of the simple future. I wonder how many reading this forum can name all of them and give examples right off the top of their heads. I know that I can't. The reason is that we routinely use only five of them. I read once that 60% of the verbs in written English are simple past. When was the last time you used the future perfect continuous?
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:

I have no opinion if it's good or bad.

In my post above I asked if there is a grammar test.

(I'm not applying to work there, and I worked there before.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: