Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I put on a Mexican resume?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: What should I put on a Mexican resume? Reply with quote

I am in the process of creating a Mexico specific resume for jobs. What do you guys recommend I include that is different from U.S. standards?

I was thinking about placing my picture in the corner of the resume. I also heard that listing that I am single and have no kids is acceptable and sometimes preferred. I assume listing my age is ok too.

I am also curious if private schools/universities actually verify international experience on a resume. Do they actually hire someone who speaks the language (such as Arabic) and call the school/government authority for verification?

I have some volunteer experience and tutoring while traveling, but these were done in undeveloped places and I don't know phone numbers and there is no website so I am thinking about just listing them and hoping they take my word for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9403
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I put on a Mexican resume? Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:
I am in the process of creating a Mexico specific resume for jobs. What do you guys recommend I include that is different from U.S. standards?

I was thinking about placing my picture in the corner of the resume. I also heard that listing that I am single and have no kids is acceptable and sometimes preferred. I assume listing my age is ok too.

I am also curious if private schools/universities actually verify international experience on a resume. Do they actually hire someone who speaks the language (such as Arabic) and call the school/government authority for verification?

I have some volunteer experience and tutoring while traveling, but these were done in undeveloped places and I don't know phone numbers and there is no website so I am thinking about just listing them and hoping they take my word for it.


A photo is always good...it's very common here. Do list your age or DOB.

Mentioning being single w/no kids is a double-edged sword. That may appeal to the HR person thinking about benefits, costs of flights and housing (if they apply) but it may also make you appear less stable, as in you have no local family to support. That could be saying that you are just as likely to leave in the middle of the school year. My advice - don't put in on your CV but leave it for discussion in an interview if it comes up.

Schools do reference checks and verifications with previous employers. I do a lot of this kind of work myself, though I've never had difficulty getting a check done in English (my work is generally at the international school level).

I would say keep the data on volunteering/tutoring to a minimum. Pad out your CV on the most relevant areas - work experience relevant to the position you are applying to, professional associations you belong to, relevant professional development you have engaged in, and of course your degree/certifications.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point. I never thought about it that way how being single could be interpreted as being less reliable.

I don't have any other experience other than short stints volunteering and doing private tutoring so I either have to list that or nothing at all. I am getting ready to leave to Mexico, so hopefully I can get some entry level work to pad my resume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy- you mentioned you do work at the international school level. What should I be doing to set myself up for a position in one of these international schools in Mexico? I only have a non-related degree and Celta. Hopefully everything goes well with my application and I will be able to begin my MA TESOL online this summer. Would a teaching license in the U.S. be necessary on top of a MATESOL?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9403
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teaching license is a must for the top schools, plus experience. I think you'll do better aiming at second-tier schools with that MA TESOL.

The absolute best way to set up for the international and bilingual schools is to be visible, while in Mexico. Network, get to know the right people, and attend expat and school events. Sometimes being in town, available, and visible is the best route when opportunities open up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1153
Location: 1748'N 9746'W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For job verification we usually ask for a reference contact at the school, obviously someone who speaks English, like the head teacher, not an Arabic only speaking school admin person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
A teaching license is a must for the top schools, plus experience. I think you'll do better aiming at second-tier schools with that MA TESOL.

The absolute best way to set up for the international and bilingual schools is to be visible, while in Mexico. Network, get to know the right people, and attend expat and school events. Sometimes being in town, available, and visible is the best route when opportunities open up.



That's the problem I am facing right now. I can either get my MATESOL at Arizona State (2 years) which does not lead to licensure, or I can return to my home state and take post-baccalaureate courses which will allow me to take the required exams and receive a license.

I will save time and money by taking the post-bacc courses. So I guess what I am wondering is this: is an unrelated bachelors + license better than having a MATESOL and no license???

I read about University of Phoenix which offers post-bacc courses to get a license, but im not sure if these international schools would accept a school like this. Also, would you happen to know if a foreigner can receive a license through a Mexican university?

I am in this game for the long haul and I would like to pad my stats while im still young so I can later thrive in this field.

I would appreciate any input from you guys, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9403
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will save time and money by taking the post-bacc courses. So I guess what I am wondering is this: is an unrelated bachelors + license better than having a MATESOL and no license???


Let's see what others say about this as each school will see it differently. I would say the second-tier schools will prefer the MATESOL and no license. Top-tier schools would favor the license with the caveat that prior teaching experience is the trump card.

Here's an important point to make.

International schools generally do not teach ESL. Language arts, English, English lit and composition are more common subject areas, at least in secondary level. Students receive an American or British curriculum and will also be studying other subject areas in English (math, science, history, etc). AP and IB level study are common.

Second-tier schools will be more familiar with TESOL and ESL as their curriculum will be much more heavily slanted towards Spanish. Their English program is usually the only subject they will take in the language.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LifterMan



Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

Let's see what others say about this as each school will see it differently. I would say the second-tier schools will prefer the MATESOL and no license. Top-tier schools would favor the license with the caveat that prior teaching experience is the trump card.

Here's an important point to make.

International schools generally do not teach ESL. Language arts, English, English lit and composition are more common subject areas, at least in secondary level. Students receive an American or British curriculum and will also be studying other subject areas in English (math, science, history, etc). AP and IB level study are common.

Second-tier schools will be more familiar with TESOL and ESL as their curriculum will be much more heavily slanted towards Spanish. Their English program is usually the only subject they will take in the language.


I have been doing a lot of research on this and it appears having the teaching license will open more doors, specifically the international schools. And although it is wrong to think this way....I would consider myself a real teacher with that license and I can always return to the U.S. and teach too. Maybe I should just teach for a couple years before investing as I may end up hating international schools and wish I got the MA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC