Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on How to Get a Teaching Job for Just 2 or 3 months?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanderMan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Advice on How to Get a Teaching Job for Just 2 or 3 months? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have never taught English in Thailand, but I have taught in Saudi Arabia for several years.

I want to take a "working vacation." I want to get a job teaching somewhere fun (like Thailand) from May-July and then go back to Saudi in August or September.

I've never looked for such a short-term job before, can anyone give me some advice on how I'd find a job like that? I was thinking maybe a summer camp or some other program that is inherently short.

If you have ever done anything similar to this, in any country, I would really appreciate hearing your expert opinion.

Thanks! Very Happy
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just come to Thailand....you can teach kids for 2 or 3 months and have fun....but you need a work visa. Good luck!
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just come to Thailand....you can teach kids for 2 or 3 months and have fun....but you need a work visa. Good luck!

Im sure the OP was looking for a bit more than that.

First, please dont teach in the public school system. As you will be working for only 2-3 months, you would not be able to complete a contract. Most contracts are for a year, but often public schools that use placement agencies will have 1 term (4-5 month) contracts. People who come to Thailand (or anywhere) and dont complete contracts give everybody else a bad name. It contributes to the unfortunate cycle of mistrust between schools and EFL teachers.

Depending on your look, ability, desire, resume, etc, you should be able to find some work in the many language schools scattered around Bangkok. Many of these places pay by the hour (300-700 baht/hour), but will not provide paperwork for any visas or work permits. Although, technically illegal, many many do it and its not really that big of an issue. The bigger schools are usually notified of any raids that may be upcoming. so they make sure there are no illegal teachers there at that time. I havent heard stories of any raids for a couple years now. TBH, they seem to be more interested in checking out pubic school teachers these days to ensure paperwork is in order.

Dress well, smile a lot, have a short demo lesson prepared, keep the kids (customers) happy at these language school jobs and you should do fine. Check out the website www.<insert thai word for professor>.com for lots of these types of jobs. gointerwithenglish pays well and is a large language school. If you can work with younger kids, there are plenty of after school and weekend jobs out there. TOEFL/IELTS prep work is out there but seems to be less than the kiddies and the pay is usually about the same anyways. Some business work is around as well. Pay can be better than the above, but travel is often involved.

There wont be many camp type opportunities during May-July because public school is just starting. Summer camps/classes are happening right now.

Once again, there is no such thing as a "work visa". Most legal teachers are here on a Non-Immigrant B visa. Some (usually married) are on Non-Immigrant O visas. After getting either of these visas, you can apply for a "work permit" from the Ministry of Labor. Irrelevant in your case (often takes 1-2 months to get anyways). Just go to your nearest Thai embassy or consulate and get a multiple entry tourist visa. This should be good for a 2-3 month stay. You will have to cross the border after each 30 day stay , but you get all the paperwork done in one go at the beginning. If you are from most Western countries, you can also get a transit visa for 30 days for free upon entry to Thailand. The downside being that you need to fly into Thailand. If coming by land, you only get 15 days per entry. Either way, it is probably cheapest and easiest to get the multiple entry tourist visa ahead of time. **15 day rule may have recently changed. Other posters may have more up to date info on this topic.**

Best of luck. P.S. it will be rainy during your stay.
Aristede

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:
The downside being that you need to fly into Thailand. If coming by land, you only get 15 days per entry. Either way, it is probably cheapest and easiest to get the multiple entry tourist visa ahead of time. **15 day rule may have recently changed. Other posters may have more up to date info on this topic.**

The 15 day rule was changed at the end of October 2013 back to 30 days by land. I can confirm this from the two visa runs I did in December-January. Some have speculated the change was a reaction to tourism loss from the protests. So far as I know, they haven't switched back and it remains 30 days.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hi there,

There is no such thing as a work visa.

OP:
Yes, you can come to Thailand.
yes, you can find short term work - shirt, tie, socks, shoes and resume in hand.
No, you WON'T be working legally (as in you won't have a visa that allows you to take employment and you won't have a work permit) but you can find short term work.

Options:
double entry tourist visa - allows 2 entries of 60 days duration plus extensions. You enter. You stay for 60 days. You get a 30 day extension. You do a quick border run (out and in). Repeat the 60/30 process again. Effectively gives you 6 months in the country.

Fly in and get a 30-day entry on arrival (visa waiver). You PROBABLY need to produce outbound passage or the airline won't let you board for the flight to Thailand (one of the requirements for visa waived travel is onward passage).

Cross in by land and get 15-30 days. It was 15 days before the "shut-down-Bangkok" protests started. For the last month or so they have been giving 30-day entries on land crossings. I don't know how long that will continue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: