Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving money as a teacher in Thailand
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Anyone who is an English language native speaker coming here to teach English to the LOS will find teaching work. I have said this before and I will say it again to the Newbies. Thailand has a huge surplus of backpackers and retirees who wish to supplement their income, pensions (or savings) and extend their holiday time here by teaching English. Nowadays the Thai authorities are cracking down on these so called illegal English teachers with huge penalties including fines and possible deportation if caught (most do not have a work permit and are here are on tourist visa (Backpackers) or a retirement visa (Pensioners) and unqualified to teach English. Wages here confirm this due to the oversupply of unqualified EFL teachers and that is why they are amongst the lowest being offered in the ASEAN region. If one comes here solely for the money he or she needs a reality check! Come here to teach and NOT for the money or savings and enjoy Thailand for what it is. Good luck! Smile
Aristede

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:

Nowadays the Thai authorities are cracking down on these so called illegal English teachers with huge penalties including fines and possible deportation if caught

I doubt if anyone here would contest your assertions about a surplus of teachers in Thailand or the relatively low wages.

The statement that I quoted above is a different story. What is your basis for claims of a crackdown? If huge fines were currently being handed out or teachers being deported, I would expect to see posts in this forum from teachers this has happened to or even ones with friends or colleagues it has happened to.

So--when you say "nowadays the Thai authorities are cracking down," what is your source? Has it been reported in any recent publications? How many teachers do you know who have been heavily fined? How many do you know who have been deported? Or for that matter, "blacklisted," as you claimed in another thread?

Maybe you feel these things should happen, or maybe there are official policies to that effect. But as for current enforcement on a significant scale--where is the evidence?
haynako

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

Where is the evidence to support the assertions of authorities "cracking down"?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration (the people who deport you) aren't doing anything different.

The TCT (Krusapha) however is making it more difficult for people (who lack the correct paper qualifications) who want to be teachers to get a visa/WP.

Many of the Filipino community who have been here for years and working as teachers in K-12 schools and who have done nothing in the way of professional development are finding their temporary teacher's permit applications being denied and losing their visa as a result.

bkkgriz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasuke wrote:
bkkgriz wrote:
It is possible to save money teaching in Bangkok. However there are a lot of variables. If you can get on with a private school, you should be able to get a salary of around 40,000 THB/month. These schools usually offer some kind of special classes after school and on Saturdays. Then there is private work. Either find individuals or language schools. If you want to save money, expect to work 6 to 7 days per week. I have been very lucky here. I think on average I have been able to make 70,000/month and spend around 40,000. If you want to come to Thailand to have a good time and party, don't expect to save much.

70000 seems like an outstanding salary. Are you doing that as an employee or a mix of things?

Sorry to get back so late on my response. Yes, I was working every day of the week. I had privates as well as a very good job on the weekend. Plus my school offered special classes after school for which I was paid very well. Like I said, you can save but be prepared to work your butt off.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you licensed in your home country? It sounds like they trust you as a professional more than most schools.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

One can save some money teaching English here in Bangkok 5 days a week...but teaching 7 days a week a sounds like working in an EFL Hogwan sweatshop to me. Sorry to hear this. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: