Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online degrees accepted?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TesolTime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Online degrees accepted? Reply with quote

Possibly thinking about going to Saudi to teach. However, I read a job posting on Dave's that said the gov. there does not accept online degrees. Is this true? I've searched through the forum and I didn't see anything on this topic, so that's why I'm asking here.

Thank you.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct: no online anything for KSA (and Qatar as well).

The Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission, which authenticates degrees, requires a sealed letter from the applicant's university stating the method of instruction for coursework completed toward the degree---all course credits earned online must be indicated. (Do an Internet search on sacm saudi degree authentication application for a pdf of the SACM's application requirements and instructions for Americans.)

Threads with this topic:
TesolTime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would any uni agree to this BIZARRE demand? Online degrees are a great source of income to to schools nowadays. By submitting this information, they would be allowing KSA to discriminate against their programs and students, and then loose lots of money from nervous students who wouldn't want to take their online courses.

Oh well. Saudi Arabia sucks anyways from what everyone tells me. Why bother with that place?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, no university or college is going to lose potential students solely because another country way across the world decides not to accept job applicants who'd received their degrees online via those schools. Nothing bizarre about it; it just is what it is.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a distance learning Master's in Applied Linguistics/TESOL and got a job with it in Saudi. THere was no face to face component but I worked my rear end off doing research for three straight years so it put me through my paces.

Three things may have made me an exception:
I got it in 2002 when online learning was not really in full swing so it was more like a correspondence course and not typically online as nowadays.
My cert says nothing about the medium or duration of the course.
I have a DELTA which means that, unlike others with MAs with no face to face component, I've proved that I can actually teach.

oh and I'm also a Brit. At no time did any Saudi official require anything like what VS describes. They just want to see the cert in our case. Easy peasy.

So, it's possible to get a decent job here with a non-taught MA.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
oh and I'm also a Brit. At no time did any Saudi official require anything like what VS describes.

Presumably you mean NS... since I don't seem to have described anything here. Cool

VS
Sheik Yerbuti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Saudi Arabia sucks." I guess that is the level of articulation an
on line M.A. engenders in 2014.
TesolTime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To everyone else besides Sheik, thank you for your helpful comments.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TesolTime wrote:
Possibly thinking about going to Saudi to teach.

TesolTime wrote:
Saudi Arabia sucks anyways from what everyone tells me. Why bother with that place?

You tell us. Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiter - another order of sour grapes, please. Very Happy

Regards,
John
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those who get an on-line degree in a non-related area like philosophy, or art history and want to teach over here?

Philosophy is one of those degrees that people do when they’re not quite sure what vocation they want to follow. It’s a fun-time at university - open to stoners, egocentrics and those that love the sound of their own voice. Why didn't I major in that? Each will finish the course even more confused at what they want to do in life and will probably end up working at a convenience store while working on a TESOL/CELTA (on-line, or course) in order to be "100% ready" to start teaching ESL.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
sicklyman wrote:
oh and I'm also a Brit. At no time did any Saudi official require anything like what VS describes.

Presumably you mean NS... since I don't seem to have described anything here. Cool

VS

ah yes... sorry mistaken identity! Embarassed
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
sicklyman wrote:

ah yes... sorry mistaken identity! Embarassed

Yeah, you see one cat, you've seen them all... Razz

Anyway, this requirement by the SACM is recent---within the past 6-8 months and long after you were hired. I have no clue about the situation with Brits, Canadians, or others, but don't count on policies, regulations and labor laws staying static regardless of nationality.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
don't count on policies, regulations and labor laws staying static regardless of nationality.

that's good advice. However, I should state for the record that none of the Brit colleagues hired since then had to go through the process you describe either.... at least none of the many that I have asked.
The Angry Brit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="sicklyman] oh and I'm also a Brit. At no time did any Saudi official require anything like what VS describes.

I'm afraid you're mistaken sicklyman if you believe Brits are exempt from discrimination of online degrees. The rule applies to all. Now whether or not it's enforced depends on the institution or the office authorizing the visa. It's possible a person gets a visa or is hired based on other qualifications, like a Delta for example. A good qualification that demonstrates a commitment to the profession - nothing about an ability to teach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: