Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you want to be a NET. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think_balance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere:

Does one have to be from a specific country(s) to be accepted to NET?
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you look here it says

Quote:
The applicant should be a native-speaker of English or possess native-speaker English competence*.

Quote:
* Native speakers of English are people who acquire the language in infancy and develop the language through adolescence and adulthood within a community where English is spoken as the first language. Native-speaker English competence refers to the ability to use English fluently and spontaneously, to give grammatically accurate responses in communication and to write or speak creatively.

Non-native speakers of English, i.e. people who have not acquired the language in early childhood, are also suitable for employment as NETs if their English competence is not different from that of native-speakers in terms of fluency, accuracy and creativity in language use.

So, that would certainly imply that you can be from literally any country as long as you have fluent English.
sfairc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm thinking about becoming a PNET, and I know it's a bit on the late side but I have a question:

Does the TESL certificate have to be done in person, or is online acceptable? I was going to go through a recruiter for the PNET scheme, and while it doesn't openly state anywhere in the requirements the need for the coursework to be done in person, they were insistent that I wouldn't make the cut. For the record: what I have is a nationally certified program that included 100 hours of online coursework and a 20 hour practicum. The practicum obviously was done in person. As a Canadian it meets the standard for TESL Canada level 1, so it's pretty legit. Is it worth my time to apply on my own directly through the Hong Kong Bureau of Education?

I have 2 years of ESL experience abroad, about 6 months of ESL teaching done here in Canada, a teaching degree, Ontario College of Teachers certification for junior (grades 4-6) and I will have certification for primary (kindy-grade 3) by the end of April.
mambawamba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is frying my brain.

Applying as a SNET for next year's intake 2015/2016 with a BA linguistics, CELTA (2001), DELTA (2005), PGDip (2012), MATesol (2013) and 15 years experience. The last two specifically with pre-university students age 16-18.

Where would I stand? Any pointers?

Mamba
mambawamba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and any info on class sizes would be good too.

Mamba
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mambawamba wrote:
Oh and any info on class sizes would be good too.

Mamba

How many different cheeses does Tesco sell?
mambawamba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Joshua2006, thanks for that but possible you could give me a ballpark figure between Yarg and Stilton? Tesco superstore or Tesco Metro?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mambawamba wrote:
@Joshua2006, thanks for that but possible you could give me a ballpark figure between Yarg and Stilton? Tesco superstore or Tesco Metro?

And that my friend, answers your question about class size.
mambawamba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Joshua2006, righto, so the time to find out about size of cheese selection would be at interview stage?
oxi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mambawamba wrote:
@Joshua2006, righto, so the time to find out about size of cheese selection would be at interview stage?

In the initial interview, the EDB will be unable to tell you accurately the amount of cheese in your class. If you pass, you will have a few more interviews with individual schools. They may even tell you which cheese they will give you. When you finally turn up to work, some of the cheese may have been quite randomly changed in quality or quantity.

ps.
I have had class size range between 3 - 42 students.
In my current school - average full class around 32. I often have splits, so 16.
mambawamba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oxi, as for the other question re qualifications, where do you guys think I'd stand or should I change careers and become a cheesemonger?

Mamba
oxi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you have a very good chance. They like PGCE or equivalent. They like CELTA. The others are very good bonuses. I might be a little worried that they'll only count your years of experience from the dip - 2012, but not sure. Worth applying and finding out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: