Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American International Training Institute (Cebu)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: American International Training Institute (Cebu) Reply with quote

Anyone ever heard of it? Good? Bad?

MOD EDIT
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: American International Training Institute (Cebu) Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Anyone ever heard of it? Good? Bad?

MOD EDIT

Just another language institute catering to Korean and Japanese students (mostly Korean).

Numbers were down last year (primarily due to economic problems in Korea and Japan).

I am NOT sure that they can sponsor a work visa so you either have a resident visa on your own (13a, SRRV, etc) or work illegally on an extended tourist visa.

stumptowny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for them

they are at bigfoot on lapu2...

pay is shady because the student groups they recruit are slow to pay their contract deals from the recruiters working abroad. that revenue problem trickles down to the salary for teachers..

getting paid late is the norm. 2 months late in fact. but I was paid everything owed me eventually.

they take care of your visa via an agency. they basically re-up your tourist visa every 2 months to keep you legal.

easy work. all one on one basically and "free talk" lessons are the norm. mostly korean and japanese adult students on vacation. some kids to.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much can you expect to get paid per hour in Cebu?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:

It varies depending on how well you retain students but starting out at p200-250 is pretty common.

If you have nothing but a white face to offer then you may get low-balled as low as p100.

If you are decent and in demand then up to p500 or more is possible.

If you have connections in Korea/Japan to send you students then start your own and the sky's the limit.

petermcguire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
bradleycooper wrote:

It varies depending on how well you retain students but starting out at p200-250 is pretty common.

If you have nothing but a white face to offer then you may get low-balled as low as p100.

If you are decent and in demand then up to p500 or more is possible.

If you have connections in Korea/Japan to send you students then start your own and the sky's the limit.

Does anyone know, since there is no divorce in the Philippines , if I was divorced from my Filipina wife in the States , do I still qualify for a 13a Visa?
likwid_777

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about it, but I think that would depend mostly on whether you married her in the Philz or in the States.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teacherbeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to work for peanuts teaching english in the Philippines? I taught in Taiwan for a few years and took frequent vacations to the Phils (mainly Visayas region). I met a few english teachers (working illegally) making a measly 300PHP per hour in Cebu. They hated it - they worked long hours and were treated like poo by their employers and their students. A few weeks later, I found them both teaching positions in Taiwan making the equivalent of $3000USD per month.

I've since left Taiwan, married a Filipina and settled down on a little island in the Visayas. Teaching here has never been a priority for me. Too much work for too little pay - not this guy. Instead, I turned to writing.

Want to live in the Philippines and make a good living without teaching? Spruce up your writing skills and start writing and selling your content. I make a killing writing Amazon Kindle ebooks and writing copy for online businesses. Writing for Amazon Kindle is an absolute gold mine. I have 20 guides and short stories under 5 different pen names that earn my just over $1000 each month in sales. Each book took me a few days to complete from start to finish - after a little promotion to get the book noticed, sales just start to explode.

I spent 8 hours per day writing in the beginning - I've since whittled that down to just a few hours each day. Some days I don't write at all - it's fantastic. I wish I would have started freelance writing long ago - the opportunities are amazing - and after a while, the money just keeps rolling in with sales from your own products (write once and sell forever).

Still want to teach in the Philippines? Look elsewhere. Teach in Taiwan and vacation in the Phils in your downtime. Or, transition into writing like I did if you'd like to stay and play in the Phils.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petermcguire wrote:
Does anyone know, since there is no divorce in the Philippines , if I was divorced from my Filipina wife in the States , do I still qualify for a 13a Visa?

IF you initiated the divorce and divorced her in the States then under Philippine family law you are single and so is she. You can remarry and get a 13a.

If SHE initiated the divorce AND you were married in the RP then you are still married in the RP but would not qualify for a 13a anyway AND would be unable to remarry (bigamy laws) in the RP.

Big Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's messed up. She divorces you. You are still legally married, can't get remarried. Can't get a visa. Messed up!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm wrote:
Wow. That's messed up. She divorces you. You are still legally married, can't get remarried. Can't get a visa. Messed up!

The Philippines has no "divorce" so she (as a Philippine citizen) can't divorce you in the Philippines and if she initiates a divorce abroad she won't have have the divorce recognized in the RP.

The (the Philippine government) did make the concession in family law that if YOU (the foreign spouse) initiate the divorce they will recognize it and treat her as though she were single again but you would have to remarry to get or keep your 13a.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: