Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Written questions at S/PNET interviews and answers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Written questions at S/PNET interviews and answers Reply with quote

I remember one for the PNET was about how you'd design a reading program for a class of mixed-level 5th graders (iirc).

What other questions can you remember, and more importantly, for those who got accepted, what are the successful answers?
toko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....
Um, maybe you aren't really serious about the position if you want to get in by getting the "successful questions and answers." Yes, the money is very good, but we should have people that get in on their own. Giving some example questions may be fine, but really...you want the "answers." Rolling Eyes

If you have ELT, co-teaching, and lesson-planning experience, you should be fine with the questions. Also, it helps to write the answer in a structured essay-type format.

Honestly, I'm a little miffed at why they are still interviewing and accepting more and more people into the candidate pool. We already have waaaay too many NET people and not enough positions. Even in a bad school, people are holding onto their positions in fear of not finding another. Shocked
Daveric

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am so serious about getting in that I want to know the questions and the answers of those who were successful. Sorry if that bothers you, but have you any data to support the idea that how well one does on that written test correlates with one's performance in the classroom? Anyway, as one with experience and a CELTA but no education degree nor certification, I'd like to use it as a learning opportunity if you don't mind.

I can understand if you don't want to say what answers you gave, but can you at least share some questions you remember? Mr. Green
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every set is 100% different so it doesn't matter what we had as a question as there is EVERY possibility that you won't get the same one.
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They asked me very light and easy questions like how I'd cope with cultural differences and sleepy students. (I'd already lived in HK for 2 years, seemed like daft questions to me). They didn't really press much for details as I spouted about interactive, fun, blah, blah....
My written task was how to teach present perfect, my answer was very CELTAesque.

That's all I remember - it was 6 years ago.

I know people who've had it much tougher and been grilled on every detail. Seems to depend how the interviewers feel and if they take a general liking to you.
Daveric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi wrote:
They asked me very light and easy questions like how I'd cope with cultural differences and sleepy students. (I'd already lived in HK for 2 years, seemed like daft questions to me). They didn't really press much for details as I spouted about interactive, fun, blah, blah....
My written task was how to teach present perfect, my answer was very CELTAesque.

That's all I remember - it was 6 years ago.

I know people who've had it much tougher and been grilled on every detail. Seems to depend how the interviewers feel and if they take a general liking to you.

Thanks for all that, but now can you answer the OP about the written questions?
Daveric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
Every set is 100% different so it doesn't matter what we had as a question as there is EVERY possibility that you won't get the same one.

That's odd because someone else had a same question as I did.
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveric wrote:
Thanks for all that, but now can you answer the OP about the written questions?

oxi wrote:

My written task was how to teach present perfect, my answer was very CELTAesque. That's all I remember - it was 6 years ago.
Daveric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, oxi. My bad.

Have you noticed many older teachers in the program? Like in their 50's?

Thanks.
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveric wrote:
Sorry, oxi. My bad.

Have you noticed many older teachers in the program? Like in their 50's?

Thanks.

There's a good handful right through from say 25 till 60.
But to answer your question - yep, plenty. I don't know the official stats, but from meetings and workshops I've attended, most seem between 45-55. I feel quite the youngster at a mere 40.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: