Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Done with China - where next?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Done with China - where next? Reply with quote

I've worked (teaching, examining) in China and Taiwan for 12 years and I'm well exhausted with it.

Which other countries do you think offer a reasonable lifestyle in Asia, with a better quality of life (fresh air, traffic, freedom of speech/internet, food safety, social life, quality of schools etc.) in Asia?

Other countries I've travelled to in Asia include:

1. Vietnam - not bad, but chaotic traffic + bureaucracy + corruption.
2. Philippines, nice, but chaotic traffic + bureaucracy + corruption.
3. Thailand, not bad either, but chaotic traffic + bureaucracy + corruption + seedy sex tourists.
4. Cambodia - was fun, but chaotic traffic + bureaucracy + corruption + seedy backpackers.

Stuck for other countries. Going back to Taiwan would be taking a step backwards. Getting teaching work in Europe - nah, skip. South America - low wages. Africa - I come from there and don't want to teach there.

Malaysia?

Ideas anybody?

Where you at, and what makes it good/bad?
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the right qualifications, the Persian Gulf may be an option. The most laid back, but not the most lucrative is Oman.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Done with China - where next? Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Which other countries do you think offer a reasonable lifestyle in Asia, with a better quality of life (fresh air, traffic, freedom of speech/internet, food safety, social life, quality of schools etc.) in Asia?

That country that you are not supposed to mention here that has the abbreviation SK?

Maybe, perhaps.

If I could get a decent position with favorable work conditions and salary at a university in Japan, I would head back there and be content.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Why not give Brunei a shot.....money is good and you will be living in a beautiful but small tropical country....Good luck!
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:

Why not give Brunei a shot.....money is good and you will be living in a beautiful but small tropical country....Good luck!

I like Brunei too, but most of the advertisements I see are for applicants with qualified teaching status (PGCE, Graduate Diploma of Education etc). Sorry, EFL Educator but do you mind telling me, either by PM or here, if someone with just a degree, a CELTA and 4 years experience teaching adult learners would have a chance in being able to enjoy a reasonable wage and support a comfortable lifestyle over there? Many thanks.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Done with China - where next? Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
I've worked (teaching, examining) in China and Taiwan for 12 years and I'm well exhausted with it.

Ideas anybody?

Man, the question itself is almost taboo! Who wants to ruin a good thing by encouraging more people to come??

Seriously, I will let you know how I like my new settings when and if I get there (I'm trying to work out a Yunnan deal at the moment). My advice though is go to the places that no one else wants to go to (yes, way back even Thailand was like that). They're the most real and rewarding.

The Persian Gulf? Ack! The only reason ANYONE goes there is for MONEY. I'd much rather go to Jordan or Turkey...
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more to the Persian Gulf than money.

Long, paid summer vacations, plus lots of paid national holidays.
Great weather most of the working year.
Lots of seaside activities, (sailing, windsurfing, SCUBA, fishing, swimming).
Good restaurants, featuring a variety from every part of the world.
Availability of an international array of foodstuffs in the market.
Centrally located for travel east and west with great connections and direct flights. (Dubai just surpassed London on passenger traffic).
Ever increasing cultural events.

And, you can afford all of the above.

I enjoyed many years in the Gulf.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:

My apologies to Zbuckets and the good folk of the Persian Gulf in general.

I guess I've just seen too many people go to SA 'just for the money.' Jaded, I know. Sorry.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
Quote:

My apologies to Zbuckets and the good folk of the Persian Gulf in general.

I guess I've just seen too many people go to SA 'just for the money.' Jaded, I know. Sorry.

No need to apologize, Bluetortilla. I find the focus on the Kingdom as nothing but a quick money maker tiresome and a turn off. Frankly, even 2buckets' reasons are rather superficial; that could describe plenty of other countries as well. Anyway, the majority (but not all) of those preoccupied with earnings seem to have minimal teaching experience plus a BA or MA in a major unrelated to TEFL, so their personal interest and commitment to quality teaching falls low on their list, if at all. And since they don't have the requisite education, they end up being a "warm body" for contracting companies that lure job applicants year round with the promise of quick, big money. They're also very critical of the students and culture---even a bit ethnocentric at times. That said, others go to KSA to 1) rack up more university-level teaching experience with Arabic speakers; 2) live in an Islamic culture; 3) improve their Arabic language skills; and/or 4) experience a rich culture and ethnically-diverse environment (one of my main personal reasons). Plus, my Saudi students were a joy to teach---I learned as much from them as they did from me. As such, the money becomes an after thought.

Ironically, I've seen numerous posts stating that China and not KSA is the better country for teachers in terms of making quick money, especially for those with entry-level qualifications/experience.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
No need to apologize, Bluetortilla. I find the focus on the Kingdom as nothing but a quick money maker tiresome and a turn off. Frankly, even 2buckets' reasons are rather superficial; that could describe plenty of other countries as well. Anyway, the majority (but not all) of those preoccupied with earnings seem to have minimal teaching experience plus a BA or MA in a major unrelated to TEFL, so their personal interest and commitment to quality teaching falls low on their list, if at all. And since they don't have the requisite education, they end up being a "warm body" for contracting companies that lure job applicants year round with the promise of quick, big money. They're also very critical of the students and culture---even a bit ethnocentric at times. That said, others go to KSA to 1) rack up more university-level teaching experience with Arabic speakers; 2) live in an Islamic culture; 3) improve their Arabic language skills; and/or 4) experience a rich culture and ethnically-diverse environment (one of my main personal reasons). Plus, my Saudi students were a joy to teach---I learned as much from them as they did from me. As such, the money becomes an after thought.

Well, that's just great stuff. That's exactly how I feel! In fact, I wonder if there are any nomadic peoples left in SA? Wouldn't that be fascinating to hang out with them for a while? To actually go to Mecca?
I say it with regret but I do believe you're really the first person I've ever heard talk about the area without a dollar figure attached somewhere and with an actual interest in the language, people, religion, and culture.
I know I sound like a snob (suppose I am- a good snob lol) but it's a pleasure to meet you sir! : D
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello bluetortilla,

Have you considered AFRICA....East & West Africa in particular are growing EFL markets. Good luck!
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello bluetortilla,

Have you considered AFRICA....East & West Africa in particular are growing EFL markets. Good luck!

Sure have! I believe that to be Plan D, and becoming more interesting by the moment.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello bluetortilla,

And so well paid that the last time I posted an ad for EFL teachers (for jobs paying about $500.month) I received about 200 applications from (qualified teacher) Africans who are trying to escape that continent.

Plan "D"... Africa would be more like Plan "W" (as in not quite plan "Z" but getting damned close).

fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
but it's a pleasure to meet you sir! : D

psst…nomad soul's not a "sir"!

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

And so well paid that the last time I posted an ad for EFL teachers (for jobs paying about $500.month) I received about 200 applications from (qualified teacher) Africans who are trying to escape that continent.

Plan "D"... Africa would be more like Plan "W" (as in not quite plan "Z" but getting damned close).

Finding a job would definitely be a 'shoes on the dirt' proposition I'd imagine. $500 ain't bad at all- I'm only getting a little over a thousand in China. i wonder how much okra 500 bucks can buy?

Don't think you'd have any visa troubles at all, but who knows? And there many breathtakingly gorgeous things to see in Africa.

Hey- when you edit a post does it have to say you edited it??? Can I turn that off? I just fixed a typo after all...

Last edited by bluetortilla on Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: