Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marriage Visa: Time and Money from landing till paycheck?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mimicik222

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Marriage Visa: Time and Money from landing till paycheck? Reply with quote

So the man's back in France and I'm still in Thailand. We're trying to figure out where we can both work (I'm from the US, him France) and coming up short. So I have a few questions about the (DUN DUN DUN) marriage visa.

I've done some research and it looks like I'd have to be in France for at least one month before the wedding. Then I'm assuming there will be paperwork, lines, red tape, and fees. We've also looked into PACs but from what I understand we would have to live together for a year before and that is proving impossible. So I guess marriage is looking easier...

My questions are:

1. How long do you think it would take between landing at the airport, tying the knot, getting the paper, and finding a job? (let's pretend best case scenario here)

2. Does anyone have experience getting married in France? Any idea on the cost of the application, visa, fees, etc? Of course I'd need to budget for at least X amounts of months before I got paid, and then some more...

3. Would it be possible to be hired (by a language school, or even au pair) on the promise of the visa coming in a few months? Like, could I arrive in September and get married at the end of October but start looking for work before?

And if this doesn't work out, I'll never love (a man with an EU passport) again.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple thing to do is enter France on a standard Schengen visa.

Then you need to register your presence at the local Mairie.

At the same time you inform the Mairie that you intend to marry so that the 'marriage banns' can be published for a minimum of 30 days.

Then just say "Oui" at the right time.

After the ceremony you have to live together as a couple for 3 years and then you would have the right to have a permanent resident visa yourself - regardless of whether you later seperate.
mimicik222

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I could start applying for jobs on the Schengen visa and then accept one after saying "oui"?
t_murakami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Happy ever after ! ..I guess Reply with quote

Hmm... answers can take a while on French forum.

Ask it in Juillet / July , then its a month's holiday. When La Rentree has come, everyone's forgotten the question and busy posting pics of the beach (bars) at Agadir or in Bretagne.

will have to google "Schengen visa" and hope all worked out and

Bonne Chance" to the newlyweds Very Happy
mimicik222

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yes indeed answers can take some time, we're already after one job contract and the honeymoon Wink

I guess to answer my own question for anyone else searching is that IT DEPENDS. We came back to France in late October and the husband had a job offer for the ski season through the winter. I was offered a contract as well which definitely helped with the carte de sejour as I should have applied for it before entering the country, but did not. Luckily my in-laws are amazing people who helped get the papers sorted. There were tons and there are still tons for the integration course, social security, etc. Got the card and signed my work contract the same week (though this did entail flying across the country two times in four days).

And here I am back on the forum because I realized bar work in France is probably not for me and I'm looking for a teaching position now! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: