Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my FBI background check back.. now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Got my FBI background check back.. now what? Reply with quote

I'm currently in the 'saving money' stage. Planning on leaving around March.

My FBI CBC came back with a DUI from 2010 (for what it's worth I only blew a .02, but there is a zero tolerance if you're under 21). I know this definitely rules Korea out, but I was was leaning more toward Thailand anyway (also considering Vietnam/Japan/other SEA countries).

So my questions: How long is my FBI check good for? Will I need to send off for another since I wont be leaving for at least a couple months? Do I need to get it apostilled or notarized? Should I be prepared to hand out copies to potential employers? What should my next step be now? Other than continuing saving money of course.

Also would you say a CELTA is something I should definitely do? I would like to not spend that much money, and I do have 1-on-1 teaching experience (teaching English to immigrants and private music lessons), but I have never been in a formal classroom setting so I wasn't sure if a CELTA would help alleviate some stress regarding how to handle that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to check the specific country's visa regs to see how long a CBC is valid, but my guess would be 6 months. Your other questions about submitting your report should be addressed with prospective employers. But at this time, scan in your original so that it's available for emailing if necessary.

As for teacher training, go for the CELTA, or at minimum, an equivalent, on-site TEFL cert course that provides supervised teaching practice with real students. It will certainly take some of the stress off of teaching a full class of students.
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad is right about the cbc being valid for 6 months. If I were you, I would get an extra set of finger print cards (3 minimum) for when you have to reapply for a new cbc with the FBI. When you are overseas it might be difficult obtaining them from the host country's police station.

I would also take his advice for taking an onsite 120-hour TEFL course, one that offers supervised teaching with a minimum of 6 hours and with real students. You might also consider taking the course in the country in which you plan to work, because they will most likely have contacts to get you employed in a timely manner.

Good luck,
Aaron
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Regarding the course that is what I expected to hear. I was pretty set on a CELTA or TrinityTESOL (in Thailand where I want to teach).
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is a terrible place to work if you have any interest in saving money. In China no one will ask you for your FBI garbage.
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
Thailand is a terrible place to work if you have any interest in saving money. In China no one will ask you for your FBI garbage.

Thanks for the advice but it's too late to change destinations. I have zero interest in China anyway. Saving money isn't a top concern really.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my FBI background check back.. now what? Reply with quote

bansheebeat wrote:
I'm currently in the 'saving money' stage. Planning on leaving around March.

My FBI CBC came back with a DUI from 2010 (for what it's worth I only blew a .02, but there is a zero tolerance if you're under 21). I know this definitely rules Korea out, but I was was leaning more toward Thailand anyway (also considering Vietnam/Japan/other SEA countries).

So my questions: How long is my FBI check good for? Will I need to send off for another since I wont be leaving for at least a couple months? Do I need to get it apostilled or notarized? Should I be prepared to hand out copies to potential employers? What should my next step be now? Other than continuing saving money of course.

Also would you say a CELTA is something I should definitely do? I would like to not spend that much money, and I do have 1-on-1 teaching experience (teaching English to immigrants and private music lessons), but I have never been in a formal classroom setting so I wasn't sure if a CELTA would help alleviate some stress regarding how to handle that.

Your FBI check won't be needed in most of SE Asia. Get a "state level" check done in a state where you have no record.

Most of SE Asia are NOT members of the apostille treaty so no worry about getting them apostilled or notarized.

You didn't say whether or not you have a degree (a requirement for most of Asia now and ALL of the ASEAN bock after 2015).

IF you do have a degree then a TEFL is NOT a requirement for most of East Asia other than China.

That said, a TEFL with observed practice IS a good thing to have for that day when you step off the plane, get hurried into a classroom (jet-lagged and all) and told, "Teach!"

* CELTA is just one particular brand (Cambridge) of TEFL/TESOL course. It is geared toward adult learners (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) and is focused on the needs/wants of the European market (heavy on grammar).
A TEFL that focuses on younger students might be more beneficial if you plan to work in Asia.

bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my FBI background check back.. now what? Reply with quote

[quote="suphanburi"]
bansheebeat wrote:

Your FBI check won't be needed in most of SE Asia. Get a "state level" check done in a state where you have no record.

Most of SE Asia are NOT members of the apostille treaty so no worry about getting them apostilled or notarized.

You didn't say whether or not you have a degree (a requirement for most of Asia now and ALL of the ASEAN bock after 2015).

IF you do have a degree then a TEFL is NOT a requirement for most of East Asia other than China.

That said, a TEFL with observed practice IS a good thing to have for that day when you step off the plane, get hurried into a classroom (jet-lagged and all) and told, "Teach!"

* CELTA is just one particular brand (Cambridge) of TEFL/TESOL course. It is geared toward adult learners (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) and is focused on the needs/wants of the European market (heavy on grammar).
A TEFL that focuses on younger students might be more beneficial if you plan to work in Asia.

I do have a degree, along with teaching experience.

I already have a FBI CBC, and it's too late to apply for state check (I leave next week). But like you said, very few (if any) schools in Thailand will require one anyway.

Luckily I'll have a month to settle before the school semester starts, time for the jet-lag to subside. That said I still intend on taking a TEFL course.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Got my FBI background check back.. now what? Reply with quote

[quote="bansheebeat"]
suphanburi wrote:
bansheebeat wrote:

I already have a FBI CBC, and it's too late to apply for state check (I leave next week). But like you said, very few (if any) schools in Thailand will require one anyway.

Luckily I'll have a month to settle before the school semester starts, time for the jet-lag to subside. That said I still intend on taking a TEFL course.

A (clean) police check is now a requirement (albeit one that is still loosely enforced) if you plan to obtain a non-b visa and work permit as a teacher. It just doesn't need to be from the FBI or require an apostille.

If you are leaving next week you won't have a month to settle in Thailand unless you plan to work for some "agency". Most decent schools are finished with their hiring shortly after Songkran and teachers are in the schools 1st week of May and preparing for school year to begin in mid May.

Looks like your TEFL is going to have to wait until Oct if you plan to start work for start of term in May. Good luck to you.

bansheebeat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Got my FBI background check back.. now what? Reply with quote

[quote="suphanburi"]
bansheebeat wrote:
suphanburi wrote:
bansheebeat wrote:

A (clean) police check is now a requirement (albeit one that is still loosely enforced) if you plan to obtain a non-b visa and work permit as a teacher. It just doesn't need to be from the FBI or require an apostille.

If you are leaving next week you won't have a month to settle in Thailand unless you plan to work for some "agency". Most decent schools are finished with their hiring shortly after Songkran and teachers are in the schools 1st week of May and preparing for school year to begin in mid May.

Looks like your TEFL is going to have to wait until Oct if you plan to start work for start of term in May. Good luck to you.

Umm are you sure? I've sent of some apps from home and interviewed with a couple school. I've been offered jobs and not a single one has mentioned anything about ANY type of CBC. If that's the requirement then it seems I'll be working illegally. That must be a new rule because I've never heard it before.

And if I arrive April 6th... and "teachers are in school 1st week of May" how does that not give me a month to settle, job hunt, apartment hunt, etc??? I'll be there a full week before Songkran. Like I said, I already have some offers to fall back on if I must.

And yes my TEFL is most likely going to wait. Though I'm still entertaining the idea of taking one that runs till May 16th, as I have one job offer that begins May 18th. Still not sure though. Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're heading to Thailand, you might want to start posting your questions on the Thailand forum for more exposure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: