Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEON vs. ECC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abliss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: AEON vs. ECC? Reply with quote

Hello!
I will be interviewing with both of these companies stateside over the next couple of weeks. If anyone has experience with either or both, any advice would be helpful. I am also considering just getting there and finding a job... regardless of the visa problems I would encounter. Either way, I plan to be in Japan by April. Thanks for the advice.
pixierox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to interview with AEON too, as a back up plan to JET. But they sent me info that I'd be required to give them a nonrefundable $200 deposit that would be returned to me once in Japan. That just seemed sucky. I'm thinking of skipping it entirely now.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: huh? Reply with quote

pixie,

How can a nonrefundable deposit be returned? That sounds contradictory. What was it for?
abliss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the 200 dollars really isn't an issue. AEON told me in Chicago that it would be converted to yen for me once in Japan. Living on 250K yen a month, however, is an issue with student loan payments for grad school and all. AEON does not allow moonlighting while ECC apparently does... but the AEON offer seems better overall. Are private lessons possible with a visa restriction? On days off will they really know what I am doing or where I am working? There are apparently a lot of ways for foreigners to make extra money in Japan. To make my experience happen, I am wondering which opportunities I can take advantage of while working, initially, for one of the big companies.

And Glenski... I am very interested in settling into Hoikkaido after studying the history/culture/geography of the region. Are there opportunities for extra income up east? Are they needed? My total $ responsibility back home will be $300/mo at least, so I am a bit worried about making (according to the majority of posts) minimum wage. My motivation for coming to Japan is not to make money but I do want to make sure I will not be put in a hole for the experience.

Thanks for any response,

[email protected]
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Hokkaido Reply with quote

abliss,

There is plenty of work in Hokkaido if you look for it, especially in Sapporo. Contact Ken Hartmann and sign up for his Hokkaido Insider newsletter. It's practically the only resource for jobs and events in this area. Tell him I sent you.

Sapporo has many high schools, several universities and colleges, and lots of language schools (NOVA, GEOS, AEON, IAY, Berlitz, ECC Junior, EC just to name the biggies, but there are plenty of other smaller ones). Everyone I know makes at least 300,000 yen/month, and they all agree that a single person who makes that much should have absolutely no problem saving at least US$500 a month. Probably more.

If you (or anyone else) wants specific info on the area, drop me an email.
pixierox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I meant if you line up a job you want more before leaving for Japan and turn down AEON after aggreeing, they get to keep your $200. This presents a problem for me as I'm hoping for JET. Assuming I get interviewed, I won't know if I'm hired until late May. If AEON moves faster than that, I'm in a dilemma. Turn down AEON and hope for JET or go for a sure thing I'm less enthusiastic about.
abliss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixierox:

I think the 200 bucks is worth the gamble. I don't have a JET possibility in my back pocket so AEON is my best bet. They seem to be the best big school around. If you accept an offer from them, but then get an offer from the JET program, why not lose the deposit since you will be earning a considerable amount more? How selective is JET? I missed the deadline by a month so I only briefly explored it. If I get an offer from AEON, I think I will take it for the year and then look for other opportunities.

Have you considered moving to Japan w/out a job lined up? There are a lot of jobs that are advertised for people already living in Japan(letsjapan.com/jobsinjapan.com/gaijinpot.com). If AEON does not work out, I think I will go this route and deal with the visa annoyances. Plus, that way you are able to choose where you live and work. Of course my mind might change when I interview with ECC next week. Have you heard anything about them?
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to interview with AEON as well, but didn't end up doing it. They want $200 when you sign the contract as sort of insurance because if you screw them after they've waited gone and gotten you a visa and a placement and everything, it takes them a long time to find someone else. It sounded shady to me too, but I guess it makes a bit of sense. However, they don't expect you to give them the $200 deposit until after they tell you exactly when you'll be shipping out and where you'll be working. However, I'm not sure how flexible they are in terms of giving you time to decide. If you're not going to hear a decision from the other program that you want for a while, I would say put the AEON interview off until closer to that time.

And about finding other work there, I once heard a story about an Australian guy who would get hired every weekend to go to weddings and get paid hundreds of dollars to pose in the wedding photos dressed as a priest and pretending to read something from the Bible! I've heard there's a lot of crazy jobs you can do for cash over there.
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about voice-over work?

Its a big deal in China and throughout Southeast Asia. Publishing companies pay westerners to record the reading of various documents.

How is it in Japan?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to get.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake priests. I knew someone who did that. It used to be very lucrative back in the day. IIRC the rate for a wedding was something like Y10-15k but I've heard that, these days, the pay is a lot lower as there are so many of these fake priests about now.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard pay was about 10,000 but up in Saitama.
I would do something like that but those jobs don't tend to be advertised.
At least I went to a Catholic university. Some of the fake priests are as far from religion as one can get.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fake priest I knew used to drink every day (so I suppose he was just like a genuine priest, lol). I think this guy got the work through his wife. She used to play music for the wedding ceremonies and got a similar rate of pay, apparently doing something in the region of 10-15 ceremonies a day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: