Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding steady hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
demishout

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Finding steady hours Reply with quote

Hello. I have recently moved to mexico city from the states and have found a cheap apartment in Cuauhtemoc (3500 pesos per month), a helpful flatmate, and a love for this incredibly vibrant and massive city. I also have two jobs, but one isn't really offering any hours, like at all. The other has given me a few private students to teach, but hours are few and I have to make my way across the city just to see the students.

Now I'm still searching for other positions. Although it doesn't look like there is much available to me. Berlitz wants me to do a training program with them and that's fine; however, their pay is really poor (almost minimum wage in the states) and they want me to work on Saturdays. Most likely I won't take the position. Just throwing that out there.

Anyway I'm an experienced English teacher (both private and in class) in his mid twenties with a four year degree in a general science from an American university with a teaching certificate (tefl 100 hours) and whatever.

So what I'm looking for is Hours. Steady hours with good pay ad preferably no work during the weekends. Where can I find that? I looked into college holandes and yet haven't applied. I know it's sounds timid, but I just believe I'd be wasting their time. Same applies to Unam. I find colleges and universities to be intimidating, even though I know I have all the qualifications and am a great teacher.

For what it's worth, should I apply to them or are my fears and doubts justified? And are there any language schools here that don't expect you to travel all throughout the city just to teach a one or two hour lesson? What am I doing wrong?

Other than needing hours and money, I have no other worries. The people here are the friendliest I've ever seen and it's very convenient and cheap to get anywhere you want on the metro. I could go back to the states to start my master's degree or find work in Japan or Dubai (it's a lot more secure when they promise you everything over the internet), but I genuinely want to stay here.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem right now is timing for you, as we are in the middle of the school year - with respect to your mentioning unis and colegios. The best you'll get at the moment is substitute teacher work there, or continue with English in companies and private students which is year round.

Quote:
a teaching certificate (tefl 100 hours)

That isn't the type of certificate that opens doors to traditional teaching, such as at UNAM or many of the better colegios here, but it's a start in some areas.

Once you get to 5 posts on the cafe, PM me and I can point you in other directions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find something at a private school, of the neighborhood type, pay should be in the 10 to 12 thousand range, with benefits. You didn't mention if you speak Spanish, but you will need to speak at least some Spanish to find one of these jobs, they will advertise in Spanish language newspapers and the staff won't speak English, generally. You will be able to pick up some privates at the school as well. In my opinion, this is the best kind of school to work at since you will just be dealing with middle class kids, not spoiled, rich brats, parents will be respectful as well. You also didn't mention your visa status, which will also make a difference.
demishout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a tourist visa and I speak little to no Spanish. I'm okay with teaching spoiled brats. No matter what age group.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are OK with working illegally and possibly being deported? You are not likely to get a decent job without a working visa. At the very least you will have to leave and come back. Did you come planning on working illegally?
demishout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no I didn't come expecting to work without a visa nor do I see myself getting deported. I mean, I will leave the country after 6 months to renew my visa and for what I'm told it's a fairly straightforward process that only takes a day. Have I heard wrong? It is possible that if I'm not happy with my money situation/job hours that I'll apply for a full-time schoolteacher position in May. I realize then that if I get hired I would have to commit to at least a year. Is that right?
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demishout wrote:
I mean, I will leave the country after 6 months to renew my visa and for what I'm told it's a fairly straightforward process that only takes a day. Have I heard wrong?
It’s basically right (technically you will be getting a new visa, not renewing your present one) but they left out the part that it is illegal to work on a tourist visa. It is illegal to work for pay or as a volunteer.

I won’t tell you nobody does it, because that wouldn’t be the truth. Some people do it for years and never get detected, but some people have been deported for getting caught working without the proper visa. And in Mexico a tourist visa is not a proper visa for working.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:

I won’t tell you nobody does it, because that wouldn’t be the truth. Some people do it for years and never get detected, but some people have been deported for getting caught working without the proper visa. And in Mexico a tourist visa is not a proper visa for working.

And most reputable places will not hire you on a tourist visa. If they do, and decide not to pay you, you have no recourse. Not to mention the fact that you can't get the benefits you would be entitled to by law if you were working legally.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demishout wrote:
Oh no I didn't come expecting to work without a visa nor do I see myself getting deported.

No one expects to get deported, but it happens. Schools get raided, people get turned in to immigration. I have turned a couple of people in myself. It is nothing you can plan for. Like NotaMiss said, some people get away with it for years, some don't. There was just a poster on here recently talking about her school being raided and she, herself, was working illegally.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have turned a couple of people in myself.

Shocked orale

I just got back from Merida and was surprised by the attitudes I found among schools I met there. The attitude is very lax on work permits whereas I thought Yucatan saw stricter enforcement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LifterMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
demishout wrote:
Oh no I didn't come expecting to work without a visa nor do I see myself getting deported.

No one expects to get deported, but it happens. Schools get raided, people get turned in to immigration. I have turned a couple of people in myself. It is nothing you can plan for. Like NotaMiss said, some people get away with it for years, some don't. There was just a poster on here recently talking about her school being raided and she, herself, was working illegally.

I am surprised by this. With the many crooked businesses going on like the obvious illegal brothels, I didn't think the police would care about an illegal English teacher. So if I call the police and tell them to check out schools known for illegal workers, which appears to be many with the new visa law in effect, they will raid the place at my request? Or perhaps these are random raids that are meant to save face and keep the schools at bay.
booksandbeyond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have turned a couple of people in myself."

What would make an American do this?
Is there a 'minute men' group in Mexico too? Laughing
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

booksandbeyond wrote:
"I have turned a couple of people in myself."

What would make an American do this?
Is there a 'minute men' group in Mexico too? Laughing

First of all, you are incorrect in assuming I am American, and second, I think it is extremely arrogant for someone to go to another country and work illegally and think nothing is going to happen.
booksandbeyond

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, chill.
Yeah, if you're not American or Canadian then I am incorrect.
Just the idea of being deported from Mexico is a bit strange/funny.

Cheerios Very Happy
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booksandbeyond wrote:
Dude, chill.
Yeah, if you're not American or Canadian then I am incorrect.
Just the idea of being deported from Mexico is a bit strange/funny.

Cheerios Very Happy

You have an odd sense of humor if you think being deported from Mexico is "funny", dude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: