Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell still not paying on time...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtmonster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Bell still not paying on time... Reply with quote

I started a post a while back reporting that Bell still owed me money and took it took several months of calling Ludka to finally get it. I have a colleague that, unfortunately, couldn't find another offer from a school and had to take what Bell could offer him(knowing damn well that they were having problems). I had to catch up with him to find out if they were still having problems and I felt obliged to report that they are STILL not paying on time, in fact, the DOS in Bydgoszcz told my friend that they still owe her 7 months of pay! He said that she was practically in tears when he was talking with her about not being paid on time and that he was thinking about leaving the school.

For those that are looking to teach in Poland, please do yourself a favour, stay away from BELL!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze, 7 months??? You'd think after the 5th or 6th month, she'd start to figure out what's going on... Wink
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something just doesn't seem quite right in this whole saga.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Yea, people are not getting paid, or are being paid months too late.

But 'fool me twice, shame on me' as the saying goes.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Master Shake wrote:
ecocks wrote:
Yea, people are not getting paid, or are being paid months too late.

But 'fool me twice, shame on me' as the saying goes.

So why is it selective?

Why are there people 7 months behind and people who say there isn't a problem?

Why are there poor performers who get paid without a problem and why are there some who insist they did everything correct but didn't?

I don't know the answer, I am simply saying there are parts of this story missing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late payments seem to only be happening in some centers. For example, Bell Warsaw is or has been definitely paying late, while I haven't heard there is a payment problem at Bell Gdansk.

I don't think not getting paid has anything to do with job performance. It's because of 'cash flow problems' as Bell once put it.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
The late payments seem to only be happening in some centers. For example, Bell Warsaw is or has been definitely paying late, while I haven't heard there is a payment problem at Bell Gdansk.

I don't think not getting paid has anything to do with job performance. It's because of 'cash flow problems' as Bell once put it.

There are late payment problems in all elsBell schools in Poland. Some are merely annoying; others are egregious. It all comes down to cash flow problems.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, do you still work for them Scottie? You've been around for a while now and should have figured out how to make the most of your time up there i.e. you shouldn't have to be working for such operations. If you do, why?
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions sparks, Yes, I still work for Bell Gdansk, as I've been doing for the last 6 1/2 years. It's a great school to work for apart from the late payments, but they're only one month late in my case. No big deal. There's no other school here I'd rather work for, although I've been approached by several.

It's an efficient, highly professional school, and I love the staff there.

As I've mentioned before, I supplement my income by renting out the second room in my flat which I prefer to do rather than living alone, and with the few private lessons my schedule allows, This year I'm teaching 34 hours a week including Saturday mornings.

I've also recently started receiving monthly US Social Security benefits-I'm an old fart-so if Bell is a month late in paying me-and it's never been more than that-it's not a big deal to me. Money isn't an issue to me.

The school is a five minute walk from my flat in the Old Town. Convenience, good people to work with and lots of students who come back for years and request me by name. Call it job satisfaction or anything you want to, I'm very happy at Bell.

I did the sales and sales management thing for 25 years after serving as an officer in the US Marine Corps for 12 years so at this point in my life I feel no need to "better myself" as Delph would say. Been there, done that. I don't want to be a DOS. I prefer to be in the classroom where the rubber hits the road.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for the time being. Smile
gardenbotanical1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers continue to be their own worst enemies. Why after 7 months would the teacher mentioned in the first post continue working for Bell?

Having said that, Ludka's behavior is reprehensible. Having enriched herself as owner of BELL in the good old days of tesol in Poland, she won't take responsibility for those she now employees. No integrity, just exploit and turn a profit.

I don't know if forum readers are aware, but she is also the chairman of the executive committee of EAQUALS! This organisation promotes 'Excellence in Language Education." http://eaquals.org/pages/5994 Yes, you couldn't make this stuff up!

Oh well, until teachers stand up for themselves, make these sorts of hypocrisies common knowledge, these absolutely horrible situations will repeat themselves again, and again and again...
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your company can't meet payrolls it's time to be looking for another job.

While some folks work for motivations other than short-term money (entrepreneurs for instance), most need their income. In six years I've had one time when my employer told me they would be a week late on pay. They warned us a week ahead of time and also stated that if we had rent to pay or a critical need for groceries to let them know and they would get partial pay to us. I appreciated the warning and told them no problem, pay me the full amount a week late.

That is a far cry from regularly failing to meet payroll and falling further and further behind though. If a company cannot communicate honestly with their staff, consistently fails to pay and the balance owed is growing each month, I can't believe anyone would waste time crying here about it. It would be time to get off your but and look for a new job.
gardenbotanical1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ecocks: Too true! Still think it's important to name and shame these employers - especially ones that are industry (i use 'industry' v loosely) leaders! Maybe we'll help spare some folk some unfortunate encounters in the future, maybe even make these employers think twice before trying it on the next one! Honestly, don't know how Ludka sleeps at night.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, again, some people have different motivations for working.

For me, it's more about controlling my schedule and being responsible for my own affairs. For others it can be as varied as a particular city, staff attitudes, student groups, anticipated payoffs (non-$) in the future or the apartment they provide.

It all boils down to everyone being responsible for their own actions.

While there is some benefit to to hoisting a warning flag there's little to be gained by beating a dead horse.
Post Mortem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Well, again, some people have different motivations for working.

For me, it's more about controlling my schedule and being responsible for my own affairs. For others it can be as varied as a particular city, staff attitudes, student groups, anticipated payoffs (non-$) in the future or the apartment they provide.

It all boils down to everyone being responsible for their own actions.

While there is some benefit to to hoisting a warning flag there's little to be gained by beating a dead horse.

For others, it may be the elusive Work Visa and/or Residency Permit.

Still, for others, it may be any anticipated 'Professional Development'.
Post Mortem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bell still not paying on time... Reply with quote

curtmonster wrote:
I started a post a while back reporting that Bell still owed me money and took it took several months of calling Ludka to finally get it. I have a colleague that, unfortunately, couldn't find another offer from a school and had to take what Bell could offer him(knowing damn well that they were having problems). I had to catch up with him to find out if they were still having problems and I felt obliged to report that they are STILL not paying on time, in fact, the DOS in Bydgoszcz told my friend that they still owe her 7 months of pay! He said that she was practically in tears when he was talking with her about not being paid on time and that he was thinking about leaving the school.

For those that are looking to teach in Poland, please do yourself a favour, stay away from BELL!

Unfortunately, this sad situation is probably not strictly limited to the Bydgoszcz branch - in fact, I would bet it isn't.

I wonder how much motivation any DOS in this situation might have to perform the day-to-day duties of the school?

What a disappointment it must be for the newly-certified teacher to be trained and supported by a 'distracted' DOS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: