Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native speaker in Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about JET?
I thought non-natives could get jobs.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A typical requirement is something like: "native speaker, or at least 10 years' education in English". Maybe GABA is worth a try, but I don't think any of the other big overseas recruiters would be interested.

However, your degree qualifies you for an English-teaching visa, so if you can get into Japan by other means, you might be able to find work with an employer that recruits locally. For instance, boards of education that directly recruit Assistant Language Teachers to work in schools are generally happy to hire non-native speakers. (They still prefer natives, but they don't go out of their way to get them.)
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Yep! Very Happy

Try GABA or the agencies like Interact maybe. I have seen many not native teachers around and many of them are even better than some native teachers beleive it or not. Cool

At Interac, I have met teachers from the Outer Circle countries (Singapore, Malaysia, etc.). Not sure if Europeans would qualify for that.

Interac's website currently states that you need at least 12 years education in English.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
What about JET?
I thought non-natives could get jobs.

You can only apply if you're a citizen (not just permanent resident) of a participating country. The Czech Republic is not a participant.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met an Israeli who worked at Gaba,
and heard of a person from west Africa working there.
I think she was from Ghana.

For non-natives I think having a degree from an English speaking country would help in getting work, especially a MA in TESOL.
Teaching business English could be a possibility.

Last edited by mitsui on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michaela wrote:
I studied for english degree ... and speak without accent.
It occurs to me that, when I was hired from the UK, my employer never actually asked me to show my passport ...
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steki47,
I need to nitpick a little. A fact that is not widely known is that people from Singapore are native English speakers. Although they unfortunately are not given that prestige - which seems to still be given to the US, Canada, anywhere in the UK, New Zealand, and Australia. Even South Africa is less widely acknowledged.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked with several non-native speakers at GABA, they were from various countries in Asia, a couple from Europe and a couple from Latin America. They all had excellent levels of English. Most of them had their own visas (as did most of the native speakers).
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
I worked with several non-native speakers at GABA, ... Most of them had their own visas (as did most of the native speakers).

What do you mean by "their own visas"?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
HLJHLJ wrote:
I worked with several non-native speakers at GABA, ... Most of them had their own visas (as did most of the native speakers).

What do you mean by "their own visas"?

I mean not GABA-sponsored, so WHV, student, dependent, ALTs working around their school shifts, etc.. I don't know if it's true everywhere, but in the area I worked the majority of GABA instructors were PT on non-sponsored visas.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steki47,
I need to nitpick a little. A fact that is not widely known is that people from Singapore are native English speakers. Although they unfortunately are not given that prestige - which seems to still be given to the US, Canada, anywhere in the UK, New Zealand, and Australia. Even South Africa is less widely acknowledged.

Have you ever been to Singapore?

Well, I have and the majority of speakers are certainly not natives or even close to the level of native fluency. Singapore is mostly made up of Chinese, indian and Malay people. Each speak their own language within their family and circle of friends. When they are old enough to go to school, they start studying English.

That's not to say I haven't met people from Singapore with native level English, I have, and their knowledge of English grammar has put mine to shame, but to say that people from Singapore are native English speakers, is simply untrue.
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Steki47,

Yes, I know. That's why I specified Outer Circle (generally former colonies). Interact and other ALT companies consider them to be native speakers.
Big_H

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michaela wrote:
Interesting! Did you get your dream job in Japan than?

I'll quote a magic eight ball and have you "ask me again later!", I might have a better answer.

In the meantime, you could answer my questions if you think my advice can help you, in a PM if you think posting that information on the forum is too personal. It's up to you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine and a fellow Gaba employee is a non-native speaker (French) - she had her visa sponsored by Gaba last year. She only has a one year working visa (I think three year visas are more common), but she did it, so it is possible.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: