Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone actually found a job on Dave's ESL Cafe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchliebeHunde1492

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Has anyone actually found a job on Dave's ESL Cafe? Reply with quote

First off, I PRAISE Dave Sperling over and over for creating this website. It is a GREAT way to consolidate various job postings from around the world. The fact that schools must pay a fee to even post an ad on this site shows that practically none of the jobs are scammers. (For instance, some people think employers should pay to post job ads on Craigslist because there are simply too many scammers on that site; but a scammer would not pay $75 to post a fake job ad here on Dave's.)

However, in using Dave's ESL Cafe as my main (and really only) engine for finding a job, I'm just not having much luck. I've had a few interviews, but no offers. What's more, I never hear back from, I'd say, 99% of resumes I send out on this site. Then, a few days later, I see the exact same ad from the exact same school, implying that they're still hiring! But yet I was fully ignored! Crying or Very sad Mad

I realize that in many parts of the world, I have to physically BE there in order to get hired. Usually only Asian countries in general hire online, outside of the country. Unfortunately, I've burned bridges with many of my previous U.S. employers Crying or Very sad (which is one big reason for looking for work outside of the U.S.!) In my first TEFL course, the school director was like, "Oh, don't worry, a school in (say) China will NOT go through the trouble of trying to contact your previous U.S. employers!" But she was/is a really superficial person, so she could be wrong about that (like anyone - we're all human).

So, I'd like to hear some success stories of people getting jobs on Dave's ESL Cafe. One could simply argue that I'm not doing "anything wrong," it's just that job ads on Dave's get swamped with applicants, so it's not like there aren't a thousand other people looking for ESL jobs. TEFL is, after all, an industry, and hence can be just as competitive as any other job industry. From the few interviews I've gotten, every interviewer has said, "We've gotten a LOT of applications for this job!"
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd previously posted on your other older thread that you have a degree in German + (onsite) TEFL cert + some teaching experience. At the time, you were frustrated with your attempts to get into TEFL.

I'd commented with the following:
Quote:
If you're not getting any responses to your CV, perhaps the problem is in how you present yourself on paper. For example, some applicants who have experience with another language tend to forget they're applying for an EFL job and not for, say, teaching German. Review your CV carefully to assess if that's how prospective employers see you---note how many times you mention German. If that count is more than a couple, then revamp your CV and cover letter to downplay those language skills and draw attention to your qualifications/skills as an English language teacher.

I never knew if you took that advice, but again, it could be one of several major reasons why your CV isn't grabbing potential employers' attention.

Some questions to think about:
    - How do you present yourself on paper?
    - Do you include a brief cover letter with each CV?
    - How often did you mention "German" in those interviews that you did get?
    - Which countries are you applying to?
    - Have you reevaluated your expectations? Are they realistic or too high?
    - Have you considered getting a CELTA, which will greatly improve your chances of getting a TEFL job?
    - Have you reflected on why you've burned bridges with many of your previous U.S. employers?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a good number of jobs through Dave's.

In china I had two jobs. None were found through Dave's. The first was found through my TEFL cert and the second through tefl.com

In Peru I had five jobs. One was found through Dave's. Not an advert but from another poster. I PMed them and they gave me the contact info. A year later someone else from Dave's was looking to work in Peru. I PMed them and they got the job. Two other jobs I got because friends told me they were hiring. And two other jobs I got through cold calling. In the dozen years I've used Dave's I've only seen ONE job advert for Peru. That's not to say they're not out there but that Peruvian employers place more emphasis o. Who you know and. Networking. Once you're in country it's easier to get a job. Though visas are still an issue.

Here in Korea I've had three jobs. All three jobs I found through Dave's job board.

All countries are different. Places like Korea and China have dedicated job boards for them. It would stand that it's easier to get a job in those countries through Dave's.

As far as contacting your former employer what about giving the contact info of another supervisor or a colleague instead?

You should also stop putting all your eggs in one basket. Dave's is great but look at other job boards and network as well. Try local forums. They often have heaps of info. Whether they be job adverts or just people on the ground with info.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got three but they all were back in the 90s.
One in Russia, one in Morocco, and one in Poland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: